Phil Davis rips Jones' "matchmaking" efforts

It doesn't need to be said, that's the problem. The real men in MMA say they'll fight whoever the UFC puts in front of them and they don't give a shit. Jones wants all the advantages and says shit that should only be said behind closed doors because it makes him look like a scared little boy who doesn't want to fight the best guys at their best.

Jones wants them to all fight a few more times because it increases the chances of injury and recovery time for his opponents especially if they get their bell rung like Gus did to Jones. Jones beat Gus fair and square but Jones was a bleeding and limping and went to the hospital on a stretcher. He survived and showed balls for the win but Gus lit him up and Jones knows his armour was cracked by Gus and it'll never fully recover as he's now more susceptible to a KO than he was before the Gus fight. Gus lost due to strikes landed but didn't get his ass kicked in the late rounds. Jones never had Gus surviving a beating the way Gus did to him. I could go on on and on but Jones, do your talking in the cage and stop bitching about matchups...

There are no real men here, the real men are already fighting in MMA and fighting the best. You say real men fight everyone but almost everyone at LHW ducked Texiera but Jones is actually fighting him. Everyone at LHW ducked Jones on 1 month notice at UFC 152 but supposedly jones is not a real man, its comical.

Accurately, jones said that he wants to fight whichever is the baddest out of the two as that is what he said about Cormier or Gus after Texiera. Jones is fighting Texiera, a fighter that is tougher than both contenders have fought recently as Jones is still fighting the toughest opponents out of any opponent. He made the issue of fighters skipping on doing next to nothing just based on them not fighting jones as it seems to be the theme at LHW, and many have stated it well before jones stated it.

Jones wanting someone to get injured is asinine and I cant take it serious as he already made it known that he wants the toughest out of the bunch in either fighter. Jones already beat Gus who he rocked and hurt in the fight as Gus actually needs to make some changes. He didnt deserve the first fight over Machdia so I cant cry about him not getting an immediate rematch over a fighter slated to fight jones next who actually does deserve it.

Gus can use this time to work on his game and what he will do differently as he needs it.

Last edited:
Not happening, is it hard for some to put two and two together. After what Dana and the UFC pulled at UFC 151 and made Jones the scapegoat, everything changed. Jones is going to attempt do and say whats best for him. And Dana trashing fighters left and right is not helping. Jones is out for self, as all fighters should. Dana does not even have the decency not to trash his biggest and most humble and liked star in GSP.

You're right about Dana, and it still comes down to running their mouth. These guys including Dana need to shut the fk up for a few months. It looks terrible on them... Dana looked like he wanted to crawl in hole after Hendricks won the belt because he knows Johny got lit up by lawler and sustained more "Damage" than Lawler yet still won and yet Dana the hypocrite doesn't stand up there and throw Johny under the bus for winning like he did to GSP. Always talking and he's been eating his words far too much lately. Jones will too.

Gus gets a rematch which he was owed but he didnt deserve the first match up against jones over Machida who should of gotten that shot in terms of record. It's comical to read folks who claim Gus is owed this immediate rematch when he got a gift at jones the first time over Machida. Now they are upset that Texiera is getting a shot he deserves over Gus.

You're absolutely delusional or trolling if you actually believe that shit up top that you wrote. I'll run you through this and you tell me how Gus was "gifted" a shot against Jones, okay?

Gus was riding a 6 fight win streak (including 4 finishes inside 2 rounds) before getting his shot against Jones (and Jones wanted to fight him too, after all):

Maur

You're absolutely delusional or trolling if you actually believe that shit up top that you wrote. I'll run you through this and you tell me how Gus was "gifted" a shot against Jones, okay?

Gus was riding a 6 fight win streak (including 4 finishes inside 2 rounds) before getting his shot against Jones (and Jones wanted to fight him too, after all):

Maur

Doesn't Chael talk his way into fights while Jones talks his way out of them?

troyandabednormal3.gif

There are no real men, the real men are already fighting in MMA and fighting the best. You say real men but everyone at LHW ducked Texiera but Jones is fighting him. Everyone at LHW ducked Jones on 1 month notice but supposedly jones is not a real man, its comical.

Jones has said that he wants to fight whichever is the baddest out of the two as that is what he said about Cormier or Gus after Texiera. Jones is fighting Texiera, a fighter that is tougher than both contenders have fought recently as Jones is still fighting the toughest opponents out of any opponent.

Jones wanting someone to get injured is asinine and I cant take it serious as he arleady made it known that he wants the toughest out of the bunch in either fighter as he said he has no problem fighting either. As I said jones already beat Gus who he rocked and hurt in the fight as Gus actually needs to make some changes. He didnt deserver the first fight over Machdia so I cant cry about him not getting an immediate rematch over a fighter slated to fight jones next who actually does deserve it.

Gus can use this time to work on his game and what he will do differently as he needs it.

That's all he should say. "I'll fight whoever the UFC puts in front of me." is what all top men say and leave it at that. They sound like a badass and they move on with their life. Jones has to fight him, he's the guy they want to fight Jones yet Jones wants Gus to fight tougher guys and fight twice before the rematch and so on... he's worried... worried more about what the other LHW's are doing than what his opportunities are. stfu and fight...... the lineup to fight him is never going to get shorter or easier.... he's got the toughest job in the div and I just wish he'd own it and say "next" every time he wins.

Hahaha. Davis seems like a cool guy.

That's all he should say. "I'll fight whoever the UFC puts in front of me." is what all top men say and leave it at that. They sound like a badass and they move on with their life. Jones has to fight him, he's the guy they want to fight Jones yet Jones wants Gus to fight tougher guys and fight twice before the rematch and so on... he's worried... worried more about what the other LHW's are doing than what his opportunities are. stfu and fight...... the lineup to fight him is never going to get shorter or easier.... he's got the toughest job in the div and I just wish he'd own it and say "next" every time he wins.

Sound's like a badass ?

This isnt a Chuck Norris movie, these are professional fighters. Jones wants Gus to fight tougher guys ? Jones is the one who promised Gus a rematch after Texiera and Gus has yet to actually fight anyone even remotely similar for an actual title shot outside of that promise from jones and Dana. So Gus would have to actually fight tough opponents first than we could talk about wanting him to fight tougher opponents as he is not doing remotely. His toughest fight was the one he lost and Shogun.

I am sure jones is worried about all of his fights as he has said he can lose to any of them as Gus is not special just another title fight after Texiera among other title fights. Why should he say next every time he wins when you have contenders doing nothing to fight him. He was asked a question and gave an honest answer as it is what it is.

Its funny you talk about badasses at LHW but almost all of the division ducked Jones on one moth notice at UFC 152 but jones has to say next to nothing about free rides.

Last edited:
Sound's like a badass ?

This isnt a Chuck Norris movie, these are professional fighters. Jones wants Gus to fight tougher guys ? Jones is the one who promised Gus a rematch after Texiera and Gus has yet to actually fight anyone even remotely similar for an actual title shot outside of that promise from jones and Dana. So Gus would have to actually fight tough opponents first than we could talk about wanting him to fight tougher opponents as he is not doing remotely. His toughest fight was the one he lost and Shogun.

I am sure jones is worried about all of his fights as he has said he can lose to any of them as Gus is not special just another title fight after Texiera among other title fights. Why should he say next every time he wins when you have contenders doing nothing to fight him. He was asked a question and gave an honest answer as it is what it is.

Its funny you talk about badasses but half the division ducked Jones on one moth notice but jones has to say next to nothing about free rides.

Jones got Chael Sonnen the MW who moved up to LHW just for Jones at UFC 159. That was a gift. How soon we forget... UFC 151 was completely scrapped because Jon Jones wouldn't fight Sonnen on short notice. All those guy on the 151 card training their asses off for months got fked over because Jon Jones ducked Sonnen on short notice. Once again the non-badass Jon Jones showed his true colours and poof, like 20 guys and all their trainers didn't get paid because Jones wasn't man enough to take the fight.

Jones got Chael Sonnen the MW who moved up to LHW just for Jones at UFC 159. That was a gift. How soon we forget... UFC 151 was completely scrapped because Jon Jones wouldn't fight Sonnen on short notice. All those guy on the 151 card training their asses off for months got fked over because Jon Jones ducked Sonnen on short notice. Once again the non-badass Jon Jones showed his true colours and poof, like 20 didn't get paid because Jones wasn't man enough to take the fight.

He declined Sonnen twice and got flak for declining sonnen because he felt sonnen did not deserve it over the LHW fighters and that was the fact. Jones showed his character well before the sonnen fight and stated Sonnen did not deserve it over LHW fighters and was not going to give him a free shot.

UFC 152 was on the UFC as they had no backup plan for Hendo who is a infinitely tougher opponent than Sonnen could ever wish to be as that was jones real opponent not sonnen. They asked jones to do something that his coach was against. It was Jackson who told Jones to not take the fight as Dana was upset with Jackson who told jones to scrap it. Hence the reason why Dana was taken aback by jones answer and why he lambasted Jackson for that.

Jones took advice from his coach who said it would be a bad decision to fight Sonnen on short notice and took council and that is all. He listened to his coach who said that fighting on 8 days short notice against any new opponent was a bad idea.

That was on a 8 day notice, not on a months notice which every division fighter at LHW had who declined Jones who you deem as badasses.

Last edited:
He declined Sonnen twice and got flak for declining sonnen because he felt sonnen did not deserve it over the LHW fighters and that was the fact. Jones showed his character well before the sonnen fight and stated Sonnen did not deserve it over LHW fighters and was not going to give him a free shot.

UFC 152 was on the UFC as they had no backup plan for Hendo who is a infinitely tougher opponent than Sonnen could ever wish to be as that was jones real opponent not sonnen. They asked jones to do something that his coach was against. It was Jackson who told Jones to not take the fight as Dana was upset with Jackson who told jones to scrap it. Hence the reason why Dana was taken aback by jones answer and why he lambasted Jackson for that.

Jones took advice from his coach who said it would be a bad decision to fight Sonnen on short notice and took council and that is all, he listened to his coach that fighting on short notice against any new opponent was a bad idea.

That was on a 8 day notice, not on a months notice which every division fighter at LHW had.

The fight was there for Sonnen too.... but again Jones concern for the other lhw's is not his job... get in there and fight!

Anyway, Jones ducks and complains too much. He's turning into Tito Ortiz 2.0

The fight was there for Sonnen too.... but again Jones concern for the other lhw's is not his job... get in there and fight!

Anyway, Jones ducks and complains too much. He's turning into Tito Ortiz 2.0

The fight was a free fight and pay check for sonnen who stepped up but jones coach declined the fight and told jones to decline any fight on 8 days notice, so it is what it is.

How can someone duck anyone when he is fighting much tougher fighters than the entire division has fought x3. Jones has been doing all the heavy lifting and if he is ducking anyone at LHW, the rest of the fighters at LHW are doing absolutely nothing.

Also Jones is not a babysitter for fighters who cant pull their own weight. Jones worked hard to become a gate fighter and put in work, its not his job to risk his career and go against his head coaches wishes to fight sonnen on 8 days notice to get fighters paid.

Last edited:
I think Phil can pose some new threats to Jon. would like to the fight but mr wonderful will have to work his way up
or just keep talking and get a shot lol

Who cares if it was for Rashads own good as I disagree and he didn't fight Rashad and didn't deserve the shot over Machida.

Case closed.

I just gave you a page of actual historical facts proving the opposite, that you're not even close to being right (ie. completely wrong), and you give me a whole sentence worth of your own deluded opinion? What a great counter-argument, once again. Rashad couldn't take down Lil Nog at all, nor could he outstrike him for that matter. He clearly lost that fight and did nothing to Lil Nog other than lose. Gustafsson is a far better MMA fighter than Lil Nog and much more athletic too. Again, it was for Rashad's own good that they didn't fight then (and it would be for his own good if they still didn't). All you can do is speculate and pretend that the UFC looked out for Gus to avoid bad match-ups at the time. I hope this allows you to cope in your own way.

Now, Machida had one whole win over a 47 year old man (retirement-ready Randy) to "earn" his title shot. Pffft. Meanwhile, Gustafsson had knocked off a half dozen guys in a row from Hamill to Te-Huna to Thiago Silva to Shogun in terms of name value and recognition. BTW, the champion is supposed to have the toughest 'strength of schedule' so you need to quit crying about Jones having to fight all of these "killers" and this murderer's row of mostly out of their prime former champions. When he fought a guy his age, finally his size, and with serious skills of his own, he got beaten up badly.

Jones will be the one that will have to make more adjustments in the Gus rematch since Jones has horrible footwork to begin with, no real striking defense apart from stiff-arming guys or threatening with pokes all the time if they attempt to push forward, and he'll have to work harder on his takedowns and top control since they failed him last time. He'll also want to work on his TDD some more too and really work on his timing and counter-striking game. He'll need the better footwork and timing alone in order to attempt to deal with Gustafsson's sizable speed advantage.

Jones will have to likely fight him yet again for a 3rd time since so many people scored it for Gus the first time they fought. Even if Jones can win the rematch, look at Penn vs. Edgar and their soon to be trilogy. Jones has a long road ahead and Gus isn't just going to just go away like you both want him to so badly. He'll have to deal with DC as well. So, I really do get why you both are so hostile and upset over his situation. His strength of schedule is finally starting to really heat up and he wants to go back to the easier one where all he had to do was fight a bunch of guys that were much smaller and older. Times change though and so do titleholders. :icon_chee

Jones got Chael Sonnen the MW who moved up to LHW just for Jones at UFC 159. That was a gift. How soon we forget... UFC 151 was completely scrapped because Jon Jones wouldn't fight Sonnen on short notice. All those guy on the 151 card training their asses off for months got fked over because Jon Jones ducked Sonnen on short notice. Once again the non-badass Jon Jones showed his true colours and poof, like 20 guys and all their trainers didn't get paid because Jones wasn't man enough to take the fight.

wtf most by now understand that the UFC 151 cancellation was on the UFC, its not Jones job to take a fight on 10 days notice. The UFC made a shitty event, and used Jones as a scapegoat. You cant be that gullible.

I just gave you a page of actual historical facts proving the opposite, that you're not even close to being right (ie. completely wrong), and you give me a whole sentence worth of your own deluded opinion? What a great counter-argument, once again. Rashad couldn't take down Lil Nog at all, nor could he outstrike him for that matter. He clearly lost that fight and did nothing to Lil Nog other than lose. Gustafsson is a far better MMA fighter than Lil Nog and much more athletic too. Again, it was for Rashad's own good that they didn't fight then (and it would be for his own good if they still didn't). All you can do is speculate and pretend that the UFC looked out for Gus to avoid bad match-ups at the time. I hope this allows you to cope in your own way.

Now, Machida had one whole win over a 47 year old man (retirement-ready Randy) to "earn" his title shot. Pffft. Meanwhile, Gustafsson had knocked off a half dozen guys in a row from Hamill to Te-Huna to Thiago Silva to Shogun in terms of name value and recognition. BTW, the champion is supposed to have the toughest 'strength of schedule' so you need to quit crying about Jones having to fight all of these "killers" and this murderer's row of mostly out of their prime former champions. When he fought a guy his age, finally his size, and with serious skills of his own, he got beaten up badly.

Jones will be the one that will have to make more adjustments in the Gus rematch since Jones has horrible footwork to begin with, no real striking defense apart from stiff-arming guys or threatening with pokes all the time if they attempt to push forward, and he'll have to work harder on his takedowns and top control since they failed him last time. He'll also want to work on his TDD some more too and really work on his timing and counter-striking game. He'll need the better footwork and timing alone in order to attempt to deal with Gustafsson's sizable speed advantage.

Jones will have to likely fight him yet again for a 3rd time since so many people scored it for Gus the first time they fought. Even if Jones can win the rematch, look at Penn vs. Edgar and their soon to be trilogy. Jones has a long road ahead and Gus isn't just going to just go away like you both want him to so badly. He'll have to deal with DC as well. So, I really do get why you both are so hostile and upset over his situation. His strength of schedule is finally starting to really heat up and he wants to go back to the easier one where all he had to do was fight a bunch of guys that were much smaller and older. Times change though and so do titleholders. :icon_chee

As I said, Machida was slated to fight jones next as he was next in line for contendership and his resume was already better and deserved the shot, case closed. I also could careless on who needs to make more adjustments in your opinion, they both will need to as Gus will need to make adjustments himself.

PS:

The media almost unanimously(outside of one) scored the fight for Jones as the idea that the people scoring it for Gus means anything is ridiculous. Jones won on the scorecards and on the score sheet and won the fight because the judges scored it for him regardless if the Media or people thought another fighter won, which plays no role in anything.

Last edited:
fact: the top LHW contenders - cormier, gus, jones, davis, glover - have no even fought each other yet.
gus and glover earned title shots with top 10 wins but no top 5 wins
jones will whoop davis' ass if that fight ever happens
Jones has the belt, eventually he will fight the top dogs and he knows this.
Jones turned down the thought of fighting hendo, which would be an easy fight.

Back