Phil Davis rips Jones' "matchmaking" efforts

He meant a simple "No" from Phil. Phil has conditions for fighting his part-time teammate in Gus and the Glover thing is conditional too at the moment (if Jones pulls out, then he'll step in as a replacement). Not everything in life is Yes or No, Pass or Fail, Go or Stop, Black or White. You should know this since you're a mathematician and all. :wink:

No I meant a simple "No" from you, that Phil has not pushed as hard as he is for Jones like he should be for DC, the person ahead of him.

I don't know how you can be champ and still come off like a coward but he figured it out.

It's kind of how I feel about Jones..

I know he's not afraid but then it's like he's trying to prove me wrong

Then I think maybe he's getting more humble, then he goes and proves me wrong again

He's too smug imo

I'm now officially a Phil Davis fan... finally someone called out Jones on his BS and Phil is someone who might actually get in there to shut him up.

No I meant a simple "No" from you, that Phil has not pushed as hard as he is for Jones like he should be for DC, the person ahead of him.

Phil is not beating any of them, he knows it and that would be a difficult fight for him in terms of cormier so he is not going to call out Cormier for a shot at Jones. That would mean someone at LHW would actually have to work very hard for a contendership shot. He couldn't get past Rashad so he has not even worked his way to a title shot. But the way the LHW diivision is currently, he will probably get a shot a jones being a fighter who has not fought jones, sadly.

This is the way of the LHW division, you dont really have to beat a top division fighter or contender for the belt, you just have to have not fought Jones and you get that shot at him. Jones said it correctly in the statement about his division contenders doing very little compared to him which was accurate.

Davis cant get past Rashad but he will get a free ride to jones if jones beats all those fighters and sadly its the truth. I would even put money on Phil Daivs not having to beat a single top 5 LHW fighter/contender to get a belt shot and get a free ride like the other contenders have gotten.

Last edited:
There should be a tournament in every weight class to challenge the champion, The sport would be much more legitimate if it worked the way it should.

I'm now officially a Phil Davis fan... finally someone called out Jones on his BS and Phil is someone who might actually get in there to shut him up.

Phil would get throttled like a kid as he cant beat Rashad as he first needs to show he is even on Rashads level, let alone jones to have any shot at shutting up Jones. In all likelihood Phil would get the same treatment Rashad gave him to jones but possibly more embarrassing.

What jones said is far from BS, it was accurate. Some dont want to hear the truth but it was accurate.

Last edited:
True.

I meant Jones wouldn't mind seeing Gus derailed though, in regards to his comments.

Well yeah, of course, why else would he try and play matchmaker and have potentially his two toughest tests, Gus and DC, fight in order to eliminate one of them? He was hoping DC could do the job and tried to get them to fight each other twice (once before Gus fought Manuwa and then once after). Nobody really wants to have a very tough fight possibly again if they can help it. Unless they just really want the challenge that bad and few fighters actually do nowadays. It's more about the $ and fame today and less about their pride than it used to be imo (at least it seems this way).

To be honest, I was very surprised recently when someone commented in a thread that Gus has only one top 10 win, against a declining Shogun. I want Gus to take the belt, but come on, people have to look at this shit from Bones perspective too. That was before Gus looked great against Manuwa, who, as it turns out, is ranked (oddly). So I can see the case for a shot and I want to see it. But, I get where Jon is coming from.

He was supposed to fight Lil Nog (ranked #10 at that time) and that didn't happen, which was the second time now that Lil Nog pulled out against Gus. Gus bit the bait with Jones suggesting that he and DC fight, he said yes, but DC didn't want to fight him in Europe (which was already being planned for Gus' next fight location). We ended up with Jimi Manuwa (was ranked #11/fringe Top 10) instead. Manuwa is one of those guys that are better than their actual ranking suggests. I think on any given day that he could beat a handful of the Top 10 LHW's, or at the very least, be competitive against them. Match him up against a guy that won't grapplefuck him all night and he'll likely shine.

It is true that Shogun is Gus' only Top 10 LHW win but Manuwa, again, was ranked #11 when they fought and the difference between being #11, #8 or #9 isn't exactly huge. When Gus fought Thiago Silva he was no longer ranked in the LHW Top 10 anymore but previously he was, up until he submitted a non-human urine sample after beating Vera and got suspended for suspected PED use for a full year. He was dropped off the Top 10 lists due to that inactivity as a result of the suspension (where it took 15 1/2 months before he came back and fought Gus).

Thiago lost his return fight to Gus but then went on to beat 3 in a row - subbing Stanislav Nedkov (which got overturned to a No Contest since he pissed positive for weed), brutally KO'd Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante (former SF LHW champion), and then UD'd Matt Hamill before getting into his own legal trouble again. One could easily argue that he was still a Top 10 LHW even for the year that he was out on suspension. And thus, Gus actually could've beaten 2 or 3 rightful Top 10 LHW's (Shogun, Thiago Silva and Manuwa) if you still believe that Silva was inside the Top 10 and Manuwa being a fringe Top 10 is right there too. Skill-wise all 3 guys imo are Top 10'ish. Even after Thiago lost to Gus, and after being out for 15 1/2 months, he still only dropped to #17 in the LHW rankings (since he was probably ranked around #15 or so when they did fight).

People must be out of their &** desperate to rip Jones when they start quoting Phil davis. Davis, who everyone HATED after his 'win' over Machida and his lack of killer instinct. All roads lead to Rome, I guess, though. Davis and his antics are as pathetic as this thread. Far as Jones goes. He is the champ, until someone takes the belt I am laughing my ass off at people getting their pink panties knotted every times he speaks. It's hilarious how Sonnen gets all this credit for owning and trolling, yet Jones has most of you hanging on his every tweet and you refuse to acknowledge the hold he has over you. Pathetic. Jones owns most of you, and deep down, you know it.

Did you watch the clip, dear? Davis came across as laid back and good humored. He was not pathetic, nor was he engaged in any antics.

For a man who is accusing others of having their panties twisted, you certainly come across as a bit shrill.

I like this version of Jon Jones
Embracing the "heel" role (he realizes "haters" get him paid)

Getting better at trolling too

WAR TROLL HEEL JONES!!!

Phil would get throttled like a kid as he cant beat Rashad as he first needs to show he is even on Rashads level, let alone jones to have any shot at shutting up Jones. In all likelihood Phil would get the same treatment Rashad gave him to jones but possibly more embarrassing.

What jones said is far from BS, it was accurate. Some dont want to hear the truth but it was accurate.

Jones would beat Davis I'll give you that but Jones needs to shut his mouth with his attempts to delay fighters from getting to him. Jones just wants to study the tapes of these guys fighting and he sounds desperate to make it happen.

champions should shut the hell up and fight whoever they're asked to fight. when jones whines about his opponents, it makes him look really dumb and weak. you're supposed to take on all-comers, not decline opponents.

Jones would beat Davis I'll give you that but Jones needs to shut his mouth with his attempts to delay fighters from getting to him. Jones just wants to study the tapes of these guys fighting and he sounds desperate to make it happen.

Jones does not need to shut up and what he said needed to be said and was accurate as it was a question asked to him and he put it bluntly. He said that many of these contenders are not putting in work and many are not, sorry to put it bluntly in relation to contendership fights. It was an opinion that most of us were thinking and made well before jones made the comment that these fighters were really not doing shit for title shots over division foes.

Also If Gus cant beat jones on any given night, he doesn't deserve the belt so the studying tapes makes no sense as they are going to meet on a number of occasions in their career. Texiera is a much more difficult fight than Gus has faced outside of Jones so Jones is facing far superior fighters than the entire division, with the rest doing very little. Gus should of made the best of his opportunity and chance in the cage but could not and that is on him. Gus didn't deserve the fight in the first place over Machida, who he got it over but now people are upset that Texiera(Who was rightly next) got the fight over him, which is comical. Gus didnt deserve it over Machida but got it anyway.

Gus needs to study tapes as much as any fighter in the division as he lost to Jones. The time Jones gave him will actually be beneficial to him as he needs to change something up.

Last edited:
Oh god the Gus fans spreadingg their delusion again.

What delusion my dear Jones lemming. Most LHWs don't fear the champ. They see a guy like gus send jones on a stretcher and think hey if that lanky swede can do it so can I. Jones won a decision but lost that aura of invincibility. Guys will bring it to him now, and he knows this, that's why hes trying to play matchmaker so he can make his money flow last as long as he can. Hold on to those nuts fast, rocky roads ahead.

What delusion my dear Jones lemming. Most LHWs don't fear the champ. They see a guy like gus send jones on a stretcher and think hey if that lanky swede can do it so can I. Jones won a decision but lost that aura of invincibility. Guys will bring it to him now, and he knows this, that's why hes trying to play matchmaker so he can make his money flow last as long as he can. Hold on to those nuts fast, rocky roads ahead.

If guys were not bringing it to him when he was champ before Gus, I would actually wonder about their coaching staffs.

Jones never had a aura of invincibility as Vitor and Machida already showed he was mortal. If this kind of show makes a fighter brave it means more about their coaching staffs than anything else.

Jones does not need to shut yup what he said needed to be said and was accurate and what he thought.

If Gus cant beat jones on any given night he doesnt deserve the belt so the studying tapes makes no sense as Jones beat Gus pretty badly down the stretch.

It doesn't need to be said, that's the problem. The real men in MMA say they'll fight whoever the UFC puts in front of them and they don't give a shit. Jones wants all the advantages and says shit that should only be said behind closed doors because it makes him look like a scared little boy who doesn't want to fight the best guys at their best.

Jones wants them to all fight a few more times because it increases the chances of injury and recovery time for his opponents especially if they get their bell rung like Gus did to Jones. Jones beat Gus fair and square but Jones was a bleeding and limping and went to the hospital on a stretcher. He survived and showed balls for the win but Gus lit him up and Jones knows his armour was cracked by Gus and it'll never fully recover as he's now more susceptible to a KO than he was before the Gus fight. Gus lost due to strikes landed but didn't get his ass kicked in the late rounds. Jones never had Gus surviving a beating the way Gus did to him. I could go on on and on but Jones, do your talking in the cage and stop bitching about matchups...

Not happening, is it hard for some to put two and two together. After what Dana and the UFC pulled at UFC 151 and made Jones the scapegoat, everything changed. Jones is going to attempt do and say whats best for him. And Dana trashing fighters left and right is not helping. Jones is out for self, as all fighters should. Dana does not even have the decency not to trash his biggest and most humble and liked star in GSP.

Back