PFL

The concept was never going to pan out perfectly. It's the nature of tournaments, people get injured and weirdos end up fighting in semi-finals like 7-3 Sadibou Sy. And could very well end up fluking their way to a million they never deserved. I wasn't a fan of it I'm afraid.

To be fair these guys didn't make it to the finals...
Besides Louis Taylor, everyone in the finals kinda deserves to be there and showed some great fighting in a process...

Also guys liks Schulte, Abusupyan, Cooper III probably never saw any even relatively big salaries from their MMA career...they were lucky to get 5K.
So for them winning will be ubercool

guess it was a sort of hobby investment then, dont see the way this operates at profit

To be fair, no big org outside the UFC/Pride seems to ever be operating at a profit. That's just the nature of the MMA game. And even with such a track-record, people still invest in it. So billionaires are either really dumb, consider themselves really lucky, are money-laundering, or do it as a pet hobby as you mentioned.

EDIT: Perhaps KSW... I suppose.

Highly doubt those guys get the million upfront. There's probably a clause somewhere that states they'll be taking it in installments of like $25k per year over 30 years or something crazy. PFL will likely be out of business before they're even close to paying that out so it's not like they're going to hemorrhage a ton of money while they're still operating.

These guys don't even deserve a million dollars.. This organization blows and it's all a bunch of UFC rejects or random Dagestani guys, it's not going to make it as a company.

I don't like how in the 2 round fights they give the decision to the guy who won the first round.It should be the 2nd round that determines the winner. The fans in the crowd always boo the decision because they're like what have you done for me lately.

The talent level isn’t anything to write home about, but the format is intriguing. I am a sucker for tournaments though. I also can’t imagine the million dollar prizes are financially sustainable (unless it is used as an excuse for lower fighter pay outside of the tournament finals).

Personally I would prefer the entire 8-man tournament be decided in a single night, but with the quarterfinal and semifinal bouts consisting of just a single round instead, and a 3 round fight in the finals.

Also given that the WSOF has essentially functioned as a feeder league for the UFC in the past (Gaethje, Moraes, Ivanov, etc) I would love to see the PFL format merged with TUF/Contender Series where the prize is a UFC contract.

A combination of UFC veterans working their way back and prospects trying to make it to the big show would keep things interesting.
The UFC cult members are hilarious

how can they afford to pay 1M to winners of this? who is footing the bill?
Do a easy google search by typing in Professional Fighters League owners. Better yet, on this very sight in the Worldwide Discussion area, there is a actual article of the PFL owners and investors. The title is Professional Fighters League (PFL) Secures $28 million from investors.

Last edited:
These guys don't even deserve a million dollars.. This organization blows and it's all a bunch of UFC rejects or random Dagestani guys, it's not going to make it as a company.
Always a angry UFC cult member upset about other MMA fighters fighting in other MMA organizations that get some press.

there were definitely a couple scrubs in the tournaments, but the top level guys would win more than they would lose in the UFC.

C'mon Rodney
Reality is Reality. it's always UFC cult members calling other MMA promotions the B League or minor leagues or not UFC caliber and then criticizing those fighters that fight in other MMA promotions. That's not being fans, that's being cult members.

Reality is Reality. it's always UFC cult members calling other MMA promotions the B League or minor leagues or not UFC caliber and then criticizing those fighters that fight in other MMA promotions. That's not being fans, that's being cult members.

Isn't UFC the best though?

Isn't UFC the best though?
The elite, perhaps so, but there's many guys outside of the UFC that could give any of the top 15 guys a run for their money.

Don't forget that Alexander Hernandez went from being a regional prospect to beating Dariush and Aubin-Mercier back-to-back.

Don't forget that Alexander Hernandez went from being a regional prospect to beating Dariush and Aubin-Mercier back-to-back.

To be fair, he came from UFC feeder league, LFA.

BTW funny fact:
Who was the LW champion in LFA when Hernandez fought there? Robert Watley.
Where is Watley now? Signed with PFL, got 1-2 there and was out of the tourney.

PFL actually ended up with some pretty good final fights.

- Vinny Magalhaes vs. Sean O'Connell
- Ray Cooper III vs. Magomed Magomedkerimov
- Steven Siler vs. Lance Palmer
- Josh Copeland vs. Philipe Lins
- Rashid Magomedov vs. Natan Schulte
- Abuspiyan Magomedov vs. Louis Taylor

Middleweight is the only fight I'm not interested in.

I just hope Vinny doesnt win. He’s a douche. O’Connell is Cool. IT would be cool to see him win it.

in my opinion to make it work they should have 12 fighters competing, but only the 4 best (the ones with more points) get classified for the play offs, which would consist only of semi finals and finals

then we would get more entertaining fights, guys going after finishes constantly, because they would need the points, and then the 4 more talented finishers fight each other in a mini tournament

classifying 8 out of 12 doesn't cut much and generates too many rematches

Yeah I didn’t mind the format. I was just watching these guys knowing without a shadow of a doubt that one of these people stand to win a million dollars for sparring and would never be able to beat the lowest level UFC fighters on earth. Those two European dudes had kind of a sparring session where neither of them gave a shit

Talent level isnt bad they have some excellent prospects and solid mid tier guys mixed with past prime names like shields.

"UFC caliber" is fucking laughable sure they have elite guys in the UFC but the UFC doesn't consist of nothing but the best in the world.Most mid tier talent across the globe is interchangeable and that's reality.

The issue your calling attention to is the completely HORRIBLE tie breaker rule that if you win the 1st round you win the fight.It resulted in alot of coasting by fighters and forgettable fights overall. If they insist on having 2 fights a night judge the whole fight IMO.

Besides Louis Taylor, everyone in the finals kinda deserves to be there and showed some great fighting in a process.l

Man wtf?! I am so invested in Louis why the hate? He was beating Howard, he put an excellent combo on Goncalves.
He is 39 now and has fought a lot of tough guys and, made it to the 5th round with David Branch. This is close to the end for him I imagine and I am so happy for him I can see him catching Magomedov also

Back