PFL

Jesse Pinkman

Life's a risk, carnal
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jesus Christ. I can’t believe one of those people is going to win a million dollars lol. That looked like a bunch of sparring sessions.i haven’t really paid attention but they were on and I caught the last 5 or 6 fights. Jake Shields got wrecked.

I was kinda shocked that there is no way most ufc fighters clear 7 figures and that these dudes who clearly aren’t on that level are fighting for a milly.

Crazy.

Definitely not trying to hate too much but I was surprised

Those Featherweight and Middleweight tournaments were pretty awful. Those two divisions need a complete talent overhaul IMO. Welterweight just had too many cookie-cutter wrestlers. Lightweight was just meh.

I hope this two-fights a night thing is only for this season as they had to start in the summer. Too many tentative fighters on those tournaments. If the season starts in January next year, maybe the fights will be better.

Their most entertaining divisions were easily Light-Heavyweight and Heavyweight and those divisions weren't stacked in the slightest. They just seemed to have the most fighters with nothing to lose. Besides Vinny, I doubt any PFL talent at LHW/HW would be top 15 in the UFC.

Last edited:
Jesus Christ. I can’t believe one of those people is going to win a million dollars lol. That looked like a bunch of sparring sessions.i haven’t really paid attention but they were on and I caught the last 5 or 6 fights. Jake Shields got wrecked.

I was kinda shocked that there is no way most ufc fighters clear 7 figures and that these dudes who clearly aren’t on that level are fighting for a milly.

Crazy.

That's why it's called the free enterprise system. The PFL investors thought it was a great idea, then so be it.

The talent level isn’t anything to write home about, but the format is intriguing. I am a sucker for tournaments though. I also can’t imagine the million dollar prizes are financially sustainable (unless it is used as an excuse for lower fighter pay outside of the tournament finals).

Personally I would prefer the entire 8-man tournament be decided in a single night, but with the quarterfinal and semifinal bouts consisting of just a single round instead, and a 3 round fight in the finals.

Also given that the WSOF has essentially functioned as a feeder league for the UFC in the past (Gaethje, Moraes, Ivanov, etc) I would love to see the PFL format merged with TUF/Contender Series where the prize is a UFC contract.

A combination of UFC veterans working their way back and prospects trying to make it to the big show would keep things interesting.

Crazy.

when you have an idiot in charge who thought two fights in one night was a good ideal you have shit like this. Plus on top of the QF & SF being on the same night you have the QFs being 2 round fights where the tiebreaker if the fight is scored a draw is the winner of the first round. So you have the bs of fighters coming out playing it safe winning the first round then spending the second round not doing a fucking thing like in last weeks fight between Johnny Case vs Natan Schulte. Then top guys at Pride threatened to cancel their Bushido series due to fighters doing just enough to get the wins in the 160 & 183 pound weightclasses tournaments. I really don't understand how these guys at PFL thought this would make for exciting fights.

The talent level isn’t anything to write home about, but the format is intriguing. I am a sucker for tournaments though. I also can’t imagine the million dollar prizes are financially sustainable (unless it is used as an excuse for lower fighter pay outside of the tournament finals).

Personally I would prefer the entire 8-man tournament be decided in a single night, but with the quarterfinal and semifinal bouts consisting of just a single round instead, and a 3 round fight in the finals.

Also given that the WSOF has essentially functioned as a feeder league for the UFC in the past (Gaethje, Moraes, Ivanov, etc) I would love to see the PFL format merged with TUF/Contender Series where the prize is a UFC contract.

A combination of UFC veterans working their way back and prospects trying to make it to the big show would keep things interesting.
I hate single night tournaments it's alright in Kickboxing but in MMA too much shit comes into play

I hate single night tournaments it's alright in Kickboxing but in MMA too much shit comes into play
It’s probably my wrestling background that attracts me to them. I think they seem to work out more often than not in MMA, from what I can recall.

I also don’t mind durability coming into play in terms of injury replacements. If the person that beats you can’t continue but you can, who really won the fight? (Tank Abbott quotes come to mind)

It’s probably my wrestling background that attracts me to them. I think they seem to work out more often than not in MMA, from what I can recall.

I also don’t mind durability coming into play in terms of injury replacements. If the person that beats you can’t continue but you can, who really won the fight? (Tank Abbott quotes come to mind)
I'm sure Steve Jennum likes single night tournaments too I just don't see how they offer anything. I just don't see the point in having them in this era of MMA I rather see a long drawn out tournament where the best fighter wins not the most durable fighter. In the past two events multiple fighters who won their QF pulled out after the fight due to injuries. Shit even Sakuraba pretty much folded against Vovchanchyn due to his fight with Royce going 90mins.

That 2 round semis were complete bs! People advancing after winning 1 round.

I'm sure Steve Jennum likes single night tournaments too I just don't see how they offer anything. I just don't see the point in having them in this era of MMA I rather see a long drawn out tournament where the best fighter wins not the most durable fighter. In the past two events multiple fighters who won their QF pulled out after the fight due to injuries. Shit even Sakuraba pretty much folded against Vovchanchyn due to his fight with Royce going 90mins.
We aren’t talking about no rules (pre-cardio era) or 90 minute fights though. It does happen obviously, but I still think the added excitement of a tournament outweighs the negative aspects.

They have new investors putting a lot of money behind the product. But this season they are losing a shitload of money. Their tv deal is not good and I’m not sure how much they get from Facebook live.

Yeah I didn’t mind the format. I was just watching these guys knowing without a shadow of a doubt that one of these people stand to win a million dollars for sparring and would never be able to beat the lowest level UFC fighters on earth. Those two European dudes had kind of a sparring session where neither of them gave a shit

I tried to stay interested, but man that was brutal to watch. And whoever came up with "win the first round, you're in" idea should be flogged. It's like they're trying to reward the guys who don't train cardio. Interesting to see what the ratings are, I'm guessing not so good.

how can they afford to pay 1M to winners of this? who is footing the bill?

guess it was a sort of hobby investment then, dont see the way this operates at profit

Yeah, well, ratings...I don't think any businessman is stupid enough to assume that the company whose ratings were low under one name will achieve more after changing it.
Meritocratic matchups and a tourney with 1M are cool, but that's not what attracts people. Other than that...it's just WSOF.

My wild guess would be...betting.
Maybe huge money is involved in bets over these matchups. And somehow the company profits as well

The concept was never going to pan out perfectly. It's the nature of tournaments, people get injured and weirdos end up fighting in semi-finals like 7-3 Sadibou Sy. And could very well end up fluking their way to a million they never deserved. I wasn't a fan of it I'm afraid.

Back