PFL averaged 150k viewers

I don't think its that bad and they have some great fights if you see the whole card. NBC sports doesn't do very good avg. ratings to begin with. So if your beating that your probably in the good. Though I highly doubt NBCsports is paying enough to PFL to cover this crazy venture.

I still think they should promote one or two fights as the headline fights on NBCsports leading up to the event. Then choose what fights to show leading up those main events via tape delayed (whoppie if its 2 hours tape delayed, majority of the fans won't even know) and you'd have some very good action packed events from start to hopefully finish. Gives you a little more control of what your putting out there to the TV audience. Plus you may fit in a few extra fights and it helps build fighters up to the fan base.
You're the one person on earth asking for tape delayed fights, lol. Worst idea ever.

I dont think these are bad numbers considering they are new with almost no promotion.

The people saying these arent good events though are crazy. Im not sure what else you want...The fights have been great so far and the point system and 2 weight classes make it very enjoyable.

You're the one person on earth asking for tape delayed fights, lol. Worst idea ever.

Yeah cause I'm sure your sitting on the edge of your seat watching Facebook fight between Gonclaves vs Taylor at 5 PM on Thursday. Only people doing that is their families. friends, and few hard core MMA fans.

I'd much rather watch that fight one or two hours later if its a barn burner than watching a 3 round snooze fest of two other guys that 99% of the fans have no clue who they are. But since there schedule on the main card we sit through the crapfest when a slight delay would offer the fan a much better experience.

First show is good example that I thought the Facebook portion was much better than the telecast portion. Let's face facts, the next card Shields and the Story matches are what is bringing in a majority of fans and that is it. Very little care about the rest of the event. So who cares if some of what we get happened 1 hour and 23 minutes ago. We won't know unless we are glued to the internet and that is a very small percentage of fans and the co and main event would be live anyways. So what you care about isn't going to be spoiled.

Yeah cause I'm sure your sitting on the edge of your seat watching Facebook fight between Gonclaves vs Taylor at 5 PM on Thursday. Only people doing that is their families. friends, and few hard core MMA fans.

I'd much rather watch that fight one or two hours later if its a barn burner than watching a 3 round snooze fest of two other guys that 99% of the fans have no clue who they are. But since there schedule on the main card we sit through the crapfest when a slight delay would offer the fan a much better experience.

First show is good example that I thought the Facebook portion was much better than the telecast portion. Let's face facts, the next card Shields and the Story matches are what is bringing in a majority of fans and that is it. Very little care about the rest of the event. So who cares if some of what we get happened 1 hour and 23 minutes ago. We won't know unless we are glued to the internet and that is a very small percentage of fans and the co and main event would be live anyways. So what you care about isn't going to be spoiled.
Speak for yourself bud, I have enjoyed all their cards and look forward to the next event. The whole point of this organization is so the prelims matter as much as the main card, its all based on points.

It just seems you dont have much interest in it which is fine, alot of others think its a great concept and has given us some great fights so far.

Yeah cause I'm sure your sitting on the edge of your seat watching Facebook fight between Gonclaves vs Taylor at 5 PM on Thursday.

Damn right there will be people on here watching the facebook prelims.

PFL makes for one of the best events to watch beginning to end seeing as everything matters. It's a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Speak for yourself bud, I have enjoyed all their cards and look forward to the next event. The whole point of this organization is so the prelims matter as much as the main card, its all based on points.

It just seems you dont have much interest in it which is fine, alot of others think its a great concept and has given us some great fights so far.

Oh I have interest, but I'm a hardcore fan of MMA so they got me watching no matter what.

But I guarantee you the streaming ratings are probably in the gutter. The hardcore fans show up regardless and they only account for a small percentage of the pie. Most people get the PFL fix on the TV side of it and by the ratings it isn't out of this world. So why not cater to making the TV portion much more entertaining for blow joe fan tuning in to try too attract more fans. Let the hardcore fan watch it all live leading up to the last few matches and take break for an hour before the two named fighter fights/main event/co main event on the card, remember they are hardcore fans so who cares, they'll watch. But on the TV side the 2 n half hours or whatever are action pack entertainment, hopefully will turn them into fans.

I know they'll never do this. But even for hardcore fans sometimes the start times of the Facebook side isn't the easiest to watch live.

Let the hardcore fan watch it all live leading up to the last few matches and take break for an hour before the two named fighter fights/main event/co main event on the card.

An hour of replays right before the co-main? That would suck.

I could honestly see that killing my interest in watching the product live and I'd just download the event the next day.

Except the numbers are decent. You obviously don't know anything about cable ratings. You see 150k and assume small.

NBCSN is currently averaging 168k viewers across their network. This time last year it was 108k viewers and year to date so far in 2018 is 123k viewers. I'm very confident NBCSN is happy with this number.

I think you grossly overestimate how much people watch cable TV outside of a few prime time shows and you underestimate how much advertising companies are willing to pay out, even for shows doing 150k.

NBCSN does shit numbers so yeah I guess compared to that they are .....decent numbers....i guess but you gotta remember wsof was doing better numbers not shelling out millions.

The mick,Brooklyn nine nine got canceled and were doing millions of viewers on average........

I'm not confused at all about how cable ratings and viewers go.......PFL is not receiving great numbers of views even the Facebook numbers aren't great.

If PFLs plan was to shell out a small fortune for 150,000 people to watch then great job done lol.

PFL needs to fix its naming convention.... "Playoff"..."Regular season"...what the fuck? How's anyone supposed to differentiate cards from one another with horseshit names like that?

Just give it a number at the end like most promotions. Maybe a subtitle similar to "Fight Night" or "Bushido" and then the number. PFL Fight Night isn't a bad one either, UFC doesn't own "Fight Night" that name's been around for ages.

Last edited:

I agree, if they selectively choose the best fights then tape-delayed fights would do well. Most people aren't watching these guys live to know the difference either way. But a good fight over a boring one makes a big difference in holding viewer attention.

NBCSN does shit numbers so yeah I guess compared to that they are .....decent numbers....i guess but you gotta remember wsof was doing better numbers not shelling out millions.

The mick,Brooklyn nine nine got canceled and were doing millions of viewers on average........

I'm not confused at all about how cable ratings and viewers go.......PFL is not receiving great numbers of views even the Facebook numbers aren't great.

If PFLs plan was to shell out a small fortune for 150,000 people to watch then great job done lol.

BK99 is on network TV that everyone has for free. NBCSN is a fringe cable channel that's not even on all cable packages.

No one is stopping you from tape delaying it yourself and watching later in the evening or whenever you feel like on Facebook or your DVR. Your idea of the promotion doing it as a policy for live fights is ludicrous.

PFL needs to fix its naming convention.... "Playoff"..."Regular season"...what the fuck? How's anyone supposed to differentiate cards from one another with horseshit names like that?

Just give it a number at the end like most promotions. Maybe a subtitle similar to "Fight Night" or "Bushido" and then the number. PFL Fight Night isn't a bad one either, UFC doesn't own "Fight Night" that name's been around for ages.
The cards do have numbers, like PFL 1, PFL 2 etc. Just look at Sherdog, Tapology or Wikipedia for confirmation. I swear, many of the posts on the worldwide forum are getting as hopeless as the ones in the UFC forum.

I agree they should air the best fights they've had some straight snoozers when better fights went virtually unseen.

The cards do have numbers, like PFL 1, PFL 2 etc. Just look at Sherdog, Tapology or Wikipedia for confirmation. I swear, many of the posts on the worldwide forum are getting as hopeless as the ones in the UFC forum.

#3 Play off
#4 Regular Season

That's the naming convention. Please keep up. Drop the playoff/regular nonsense. That was my suggestion.

Do you honestly think I didn't look at Tapology and used ESP to figure out they had those subtitles?

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/promotions/1969-professional-fighters-league-pfl

Those subtitles are distracting for casual fans. It totally obscures the numerals. Something like "Fight Night" with number AFTER is far more rememberable if they want to differentiate playoff from regular.
The existing convention also makes it seem like if you didn't watch the past playoffs or whatever then you're missing something for tonight's card. It's like tuning into an episodic show in the middle, instead of it being stand-alone where you can watch it whenever you want without any emotional burden.

#3 Play off
#4 Regular Season

That's the naming convention. Please keep up. Drop the playoff/regular nonsense. That was my suggestion.

Do you honestly think I didn't look at Tapology and used ESP to figure out they had those subtitles?

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/promotions/1969-professional-fighters-league-pfl

Those subtitles are distracting for casual fans. It totally obscures the numerals. Something like "Fight Night" with number AFTER is far more rememberable if they want to differentiate playoff from regular.
The existing convention also makes it seem like if you didn't watch the past playoffs or whatever then you're missing something for tonight's card. It's like tuning into an episodic show in the middle, instead of it being stand-alone where you can watch it whenever you want without any emotional burden.
I like the regular season/playoff terminology for when explaining PFL to casual fans, as it makes the concept clear with relative ease.

Attachments

• IMG_8567.jpg
    IMG_8567.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 6
I like the regular season/playoff terminology for when explaining PFL to casual fans, as it makes the concept clear with relative ease.

As a descriptor it makes sense, but having it on the name (title) confuses people. Because it is completely foreign to MMA.

Just use numeric to represent Regular, and fight night to represent Playoff, or vice versa or something of that nature.

Back