Pew: 95% of polled countries have lower opinion of US under Trump

They're mad about the Paris Climate accord, which was just a global way to smuggle money for the illuminati. Imagine Solydra on a trillion dollar scale.

The thing I do think you're missing is that in western democracies political leaders are influenced by their citizens and the general views can certainly influence policy. Sure, I agree with you that their population's views are not an indication of our relationships but we should also consider what their leaders have said (negatively about Trump mind you) and that matters a lot.
To some extent. That means especially ~2 months before an election and if there are enough alternatives anyway.
Germany recently started to export weapons to Saudi-Arabia again while 78% of the population strictly oppose those deals.
Just like 85% of Austrians were in favor of a complete shutdown of accepting refugees at some point.
It will be far more important which specific policies Trump passes and how the interests of different nations align or conflict with each other.
Whereas the 'popularity' of either Trump or our nation also has a lot to do with symbolism, political views etc "Trump is so stupid, he said..."

To some extent. That means especially ~2 months before an election and if there are enough alternatives anyway.
Germany recently started to export weapons to Saudi-Arabia again while 78% of the population strictly oppose those deals.
Just like 85% of Austrians were in favor of a complete shutdown of accepting refugees at some point.
It will be far more important which specific policies Trump passes and how the interests of different nations align or conflict with each other.
Whereas the 'popularity' of either Trump or our nation also has a lot to do with symbolism, political views etc "Trump is so stupid, he said..."
Agreed, policy matters most. But we should underestimate people's egos. Our own president's behavior is shaped by whether you compliment or insult him and I'd bet other world leaders can be similar. Plus when you make people look bad publicly it just makes you much harder to deal with. Strange that a guy who hangs his hat on being a deal-maker doesn't get that.

Agreed, policy matters most. But we should underestimate people's egos. Our own president's behavior is shaped by whether you compliment or insult him and I'd bet other world leaders can be similar. Plus when you make people look bad publicly it just makes you much harder to deal with. Strange that a guy who hangs his hat on being a deal-maker doesn't get that.
Sure, I definitely think Trump's manners can hurt relationships, just like you said, he's somewhat unhinged instead of being a good diplomat.
I still think Pew Research conducting polls and asking about people's opinion on the US isn't a good indicator of anything.
Another good example would be Obama and the NSA spying scandal. Obama was very popular in Europe (1) but the NSA spying scandal hurt the US in the court of public opinion (2), while international relationships kind of took a hit but at the end of the day recovered rather quickly (3).
So those were 3 different levels, Obama's popularity, America's popularity and relationships. In hindsight, each one can be evaluated on its own.

Sure, I definitely think Trump's manners can hurt relationships, just like you said, he's somewhat unhinged instead of being a good diplomat.
I still think Pew Research conducting polls and asking about people's opinion on the US isn't a good indicator of anything.
Another good example would be Obama and the NSA spying scandal. Obama was very popular in Europe (1) but the NSA spying scandal hurt the US in the court of public opinion (2), while international relationships kind of took a hit but at the end of the day recovered rather quickly (3).
So those were 3 different levels, Obama's popularity, America's popularity and relationships and in hindsight, each one can be evaluated on its own.
Fair enough. I am not putting great weight on this polling just pointing out that the world's view of Trump matters a lot. It seemed relevant given how many people in the thread were simply brushing that off (not you though).

why would they have "lower" opinions about Trump? did he invade a country like Bush or drone-strike brown people in 3rd world countries like Obama?

Tbh I don't really give that much of a shit. Of course the opinions of the masses matters in democratic nations but I doubt these feelings towards Trump will manifest themselves in any significant way during elections. The people of those nations will continue to vote for the candidates and policies that they perceive to be in their best interest regardless of what they think of Trump.

Doesn't mean I think Obama was a cuck or whatever like some of the mouthbreathers just because he was well liked.

They're clearly all cucks because their leaders don't pull alpha moves like this:

giphy.gif

this is amazing

Back