Pew: 95% of polled countries have lower opinion of US under Trump

He is the chief diplomat of the United States.. so it is technically his job to improve relations with foreign countries.

Role Summary
Chief Executive Executes the laws, appoints key federal officials, grants pardons and reprieves
Commander in Chief Runs the armed forces
Chief Diplomat Negotiates with other countries
Chief Legislator Signs or vetoes legislation, introduces legislation, works with Congress on the budget
It's not his job. His job is to put his countrymen first....which part of MAGA don't you understand, mang?

He is the chief diplomat of the United States.. so it is technically his job to improve relations with foreign countries.

Role Summary
Chief Executive Executes the laws, appoints key federal officials, grants pardons and reprieves
Commander in Chief Runs the armed forces
Chief Diplomat Negotiates with other countries
Chief Legislator Signs or vetoes legislation, introduces legislation, works with Congress on the budget

Just because he is representing the country abroad in no way means he has to become friends and improve relations with every single country.. what an absurd notion.

Just because he is representing the country abroad in no way means he has to become friends and improve relations with every single country.. what an absurd notion.

No it isn't.

It's an absurd notion that you think it's a good idea for our ALLIED nations to think our President is an asshat.

That poll isn't every nation, it's our allies mostly.

No it isn't.

It's an absurd notion that you think it's a good idea for our ALLIED nations to think our President is an asshat.

That poll isn't every nation, it's our allies mostly.

Would you rather the president make friends and be butt buddies with all of those countries instead of represent the interests of the people who elected him?

In an ideal world, I'd say both. In the real world, I'd take the latter.

Would you rather the president make friends and be butt buddies with all of those countries instead of represent the interests of the people who elected him?

In an ideal world, I'd say both. In the real world, I'd take the latter.

Considering he's not doing any of that and also shitting on our foreign relations, the real world sucks, doesn't it?

It's absolutely not his job to be popular in other countries or to make citizens of other nation states have a "high opinion" of the US.
His problem is that he's also not very popular in the US, though.
I knew it wouldn't long before this type of post was made. What we should care very much about though is maintaining relationships with allies and keeping our soft power strong. Both are rapidly deteriorating and it is far more important than a perceived popularity contest. It keeps us safe.

If the most ardent nationalist types should realize that we do want information and intelligence and allies if nothing more than to improve our odds of defending against those who want to hurt Americans. Also, trade deals where both sides benefit keep us out of war as well.

I knew it wouldn't long before this type of post was made. What we should care very much about though is maintaining relationships with allies and keeping our soft power strong. Both are rapidly deteriorating and it is far more important than a perceived popularity contest. It keeps us safe.
Then I assume you strongly oppose the latest Russia sanctions?

Of course their opinion is lower. Trump just told all those fucking free loaders that we are done paying for their Social Programs and that they can afford their own defense.

Then I assume you strongly oppose the latest Russia sanctions?
No, I support very strong sanctions on Russia and I'm not sure why you made that assumption. That is what is meant by soft power and when a country tries to destroy our democratic process I support consequences for those actions.

what a surprise-of course the polls show he's disliked; he put NATO on blast for not paying their fair share and making them pay up or US pulls out.

lol-they all may dislike him but when their country gets invaded, need aid or a disaster takes place, they are the first to come to the US for help

No, I support very strong sanctions on Russia and I'm not sure why you made that assumption. That is what is meant by soft power and when a country tries to destroy our democratic process I support consequences for those actions.
Because key allies in Europe are outraged over "outlandish" sanctions against Russia, as they hurt their economy.
The sanction will hurt our relationship far worse than anything Trump has done and that's a fact, according to those allies who call it a 'new low'.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/w...ged-over-outlandish-russia-sanctions.3551115/

So either you admit that advancing American interests can make us unpopular in other countries and that it's a bad measurement for good or bad policies or you have to oppose sanctions against Russia, there's really no way out.

It's hilarious that so many posters in this thread are ignoring the obvious reason they have less trust in Trump. It isn't that prior presidents were "pushovers" it's that they know Trump is a liar and is very unreliable and incompetent. And stupid. And they're worried about the damage he can do to the world.

Whether people like it or not America is a world leader in both business and as a military power and they know that. Having an ignorant child as president puts everybody at higher risk.

Because key allies in Europe are outraged over "outlandish" sanctions against Russia, as they hurt their economy.
The sanction will hurt our relationship far worse than anything Trump has done and that's a fact, according to those allies who call it a 'new low'.
http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/w...ged-over-outlandish-russia-sanctions.3551115/

So either you admit that advancing American interests can make us unpopular in other countries and that it's a bad measurement for good or bad policies or you have to oppose sanctions against Russia, there's really no way out.
Of course I can admit that we have and continue to make moves that will make some leaders very unhappy. We make mistakes that make everyone unhappy. It's very complicated and difficult to even get Americans to agree on something forget getting other countries with other interests on board. But sanctions are a method to punish Russia for fucking with us without a major war.

But none of this means we shouldn't value and intelligently manage our influence in the world. I'd rather the US remain the superpower than whoever the next most powerful player, wouldn't you?

Of course I can admit that we have and continue to make moves that will make some leaders very unhappy. We make mistakes that make everyone unhappy. It's very complicated and difficult to even get Americans to agree on something forget getting other countries with other interests on board. But sanctions are a method to punish Russia for fucking with us without a major war.

But none of this means we shouldn't value and intelligently manage our influence in the world. I'd rather the US remain the superpower than whoever the next most powerful player, wouldn't you?
I think it's wrong to think of alliances between nations as friendships between people. I'm basically a globalist, I'm in favor of international trade, good relationships etc
But realistically, those are determined by contracts and treaties which are signed by chancellors and presidents or voted on by parliaments, according to mutual self-interest.
To ask citizens in Switzerland how they currently feel about the US and Trump and to observe an X% drop in popularity says next to nothing about our relationship to Switzerland. European nations sometimes rely on trade with Saudi-Arabia (arms) and Russia (oil) and have somewhat normalized relationships with those countries even though their citizens think very poorly of the leaders of those nations, far worse than they think about the US or Trump.
The safest way to be popular in Europe would certainly be to implement policies which are popular in Europe....
Then most people would look at the US or Trump and say yeah that makes sense, seems like a reasonable guy. That's not what he was elected on though.

I think it's wrong to think of alliances between nations as friendships between people. I'm basically a globalist, I'm in favor of international trade, good relationships etc
But realistically, those are determined by contracts and treaties which are signed by chancellors and presidents or voted on by parliaments, according to mutual self-interest.
To ask citizens in Switzerland how they currently feel about the US and Trump and to observe an X% drop in popularity says next to nothing about our relationship to Switzerland. European nations sometimes rely on trade with Saudi-Arabia (arms) and Russia (oil) and have somewhat normalized relationships with those countries even though their citizens think very poorly of the leaders of those nations, far worse than they think about the US or Trump.
The safest way to be popular in Europe would certainly be to implement policies which are popular in Europe....
Then most people would look at the US or Trump and say yeah that makes sense, seems like a reasonable guy. That's not what he was elected on though.
I don't have any to add to specific policy (I'm simply just not in tune with it) but I agree that we shouldn't view them as personal relationships. They're much more complicated and shouldn't be based on feelings but on what each party get's out of it. And there is a lot of benefit from trade deals and alliances.

The thing I do think you're missing is that in western democracies political leaders are influenced by their citizens and the general views can certainly influence policy. Sure, I agree with you that their population's views are not an indication of our relationships but we should also consider what their leaders have said (negatively about Trump mind you) and that matters a lot. There is just no question that Trump is hurting out standing in the world and time will show that to be true.

Well using liberal logic this is good.

Cause it means we cannot be exploited. They only have a less favorable view because they know that Trump isn't a pushover and can't be bullied like Obama. With that said Trump has rolled over to the Saudi's and Gulf Arabs which is very disappointing.
Using liberal logic, this means we have less favorable conditions for trade and diplomacy.

Back