Petition for Science and Philosophy Subforum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we need a forum for lovers of every colour in the the rainbow.

I suggest the Pink Forum.

~Foz@work

Your average philosophy and religion thread gets more posts per hour than most of the subforums get in a week, sad they arent allowed to go ahead because of a few whingers.

Your average philosophy and religion thread gets more posts per hour than most of the subforums get in a week, sad they arent allowed to go ahead because of a few whingers.

One of the major problems is they become debate/chat forums, and with mods of various religions on the staff, we can't realistically moderate said forum. You would not be rewarded in posts for your discussion, nor would it be moderated.

Those are 2 reasons off the top of my head alone why this forum is unlikely to ever go ahead.

~Foz

One of the major problems is they become debate/chat forums, and with mods of various religions on the staff, we can't realistically moderate said forum. You would not be rewarded in posts for your discussion, nor would it be moderated.

Those are 2 reasons off the top of my head alone why this forum is unlikely to ever go ahead.

~Foz

The reason they become that way is because everyone knows they're so damn fleeting.

A sub forum would spread everything out, and I doubt you'd have the excess you see with current threads.

Plus: what exactly is implied by pointing out a mods religious pursuasion? That they're less likely to read threads that "bash" (this is where rules come into play) their particular religion? If anyone's offended, fuck em. The War Room is a place where Democrats and Republicans are bashed equally, but every thread isn't inevitably locked or wastelanded.

If anything a sub forum would only enhance the discourse- in a Sherdog way. The discussion could be spread out and with quality control present, religion bashers could be weeded out. The system- or lackthereof- actually rewards all this bullshit; if these threads are doomed to either the wasteland, or being locked, there are no consequences except a slap on the post count.

And if the forum is restricted to "science and philosophy", admins could still restrict the religious discussion, as the forum would not be explicitly dedicated to such discussion.

The reason they become that way is because everyone knows they're so damn fleeting.

A sub forum would spread everything out, and I doubt you'd have the excess you see with current threads.

Plus: what exactly is implied by pointing out a mods religious pursuasion? That they're less likely to read threads that "bash" (this is where rules come into play) their particular religion? If anyone's offended, fuck em. The War Room is a place where Democrats and Republicans are bashed equally, but every thread isn't inevitably locked or wastelanded.

If anything a sub forum would only enhance the discourse- in a Sherdog way. The discussion could be spread out and with quality control present, religion bashers could be weeded out. The system- or lackthereof- actually rewards all this bullshit; if these threads are doomed to either the wasteland, or being locked, there are no consequences except a slap on the post count.

And if the forum is restricted to "science and philosophy", admins could still restrict the religious discussion, as the forum would not be explicitly dedicated to such discussion.

I am pointing it out because how is one mod of a particular religious supposed to comment on the religious practices and beliefs of another religion he knows nothing about or is not familiar with? Let alone moderate said forum?

The fact is, the Administration wants every forum moderated, that is why OT dissapeared and only re-appeared once we could properly take care of all the garbage that flys there.

There is a big difference between politics and half of the discussion in The War Room as apposed to Religious belief and discussion.

It's just not gonna happen.

~Foz

And whilst I realise this is for 'Science and Philosophy' people will want religion included.

You are free to discuss ANY of the above in The Wastleand.

~Foz

And whilst I realise this is for 'Science and Philosophy' people will want religion included.

You are free to discuss ANY of the above in The Wastleand.

~Foz

No we're not, thats the problem, we can't even discuss them in the WS. They get closed there too, quickly. Ive opened discussion directly in the WS that got closed because of a few kids getting offended by them for some reason.

I am pointing it out because how is one mod of a particular religious supposed to comment on the religious practices and beliefs of another religion he knows nothing about or is not familiar with? Let alone moderate said forum?

The fact is, the Administration wants every forum moderated, that is why OT dissapeared and only re-appeared once we could properly take care of all the garbage that flys there.

There is a big difference between politics and half of the discussion in The War Room as apposed to Religious belief and discussion.

It's just not gonna happen.

~Foz

I realize you're just following the admins rules, so feel free to leave it that if you prefer...

But why is it necessary for the mods to even be knowledgable about different religions? All they need to know is that if a posters' only insight on any particular topic is "religion is stupid; Sam Harris told me so" then they're douchebags. And like all douchebags they'll either be dubbed, or banned.

And no I don't think there's that big of a difference between politics and religion. They're both personal, and both are taken seriously by each individual.

Having topics about breakthroughs in human behavior, and life as we know it sent to the wasteland is just absurd. In fact I'd say it's pretty insulting- especially when the thread below it has to do with a Harry Potter actress having a Britney Spears moment. But even disregarding that what's the point if they get locked which they often do? Hell even threads that aren't even religious in nature, like some of the biology ones (one of which didn't even gather a single reply before it got locked) get killed.

I realize you're just following the admins rules, so feel free to leave it that if you prefer...

But why is it necessary for the mods to even be knowledgable about different religions? All they need to know is that if a posters' only insight on any particular topic is "religion is stupid; Sam Harris told me so" then they're douchebags. And like all douchebags they'll either be dubbed, or banned.

And no I don't think there's that big of a difference between politics and religion. They're both personal, and both are taken seriously by each individual.

Having topics about breakthroughs in human behavior, and life as we know it sent to the wasteland is just absurd. In fact I'd say it's pretty insulting- especially when the thread below it has to do with a Harry Potter actress having a Britney Spears moment. But even disregarding that what's the point if they get locked which they often do? Hell even threads that aren't even religious in nature, like some of the biology ones (one of which didn't even gather a single reply before it got locked) get killed.

poster a) says so and so about 'insert religion 1 here'

I get PM from poster b) saying poster a is spreading lies about his religion.

I, nor any of the other mod staff know anything about 'insert religion 1 name here' and there in lies the problem.

There is a reason guys like computer fogie mod The War Room, and guys like me do not. I have no freaking idea about politics, he does.

Getting the drift here?

Breakthroughs in human behaviour. I do not quite know why they are getting locked, wastelanded we can account for, but locked is at the discretion of the moderator. You should be free to discuss anything in the wasteland within boundaries, obviously.

My guess would be that all those threads end in mindless debating, much like this thread, I clearly have said the forum will most likely not go ahead, instead of accepting that, people continue to post, and ask, and debate the points of my post without any real reason to.

It would be the same reason the W/W thread got deleted in the first place, insane amount of regardless posts going on about the same thing over and over again.

The issue has been brought up before, if the Admins want to bring the forum on they will, until then all I can say is it won't be happening at this stage from my knowledge.

~Foz

poster a) says so and so about 'insert religion 1 here'

I get PM from poster b) saying poster a is spreading lies about his religion.

I, nor any of the other mod staff know anything about 'insert religion 1 name here' and there in lies the problem.

There is a reason guys like computer fogie mod The War Room, and guys like me do not. I have no freaking idea about politics, he does.

Getting the drift here?

Breakthroughs in human behaviour. I do not quite know why they are getting locked, wastelanded we can account for, but locked is at the discretion of the moderator. You should be free to discuss anything in the wasteland within boundaries, obviously.

My guess would be that all those threads end in mindless debating, much like this thread, I clearly have said the forum will most likely not go ahead, instead of accepting that, people continue to post, and ask, and debate the points of my post without any real reason to.

It would be the same reason the W/W thread got deleted in the first place, insane amount of regardless posts going on about the same thing over and over again.

The issue has been brought up before, if the Admins want to bring the forum on they will, until then all I can say is it won't be happening at this stage from my knowledge.

~Foz

Why not let them continue in the wasteland?

I already said I do not know why they are closed, if I move one there I leave it open unless of complaints.

Just don't PM us with a 100 page thread about Creationism vs Other Evolutionary theories and expect us to moderate it... :S

~Foz

Fozzy, I was going to suggest that if people feel passionately enough about a certain topic that comes up within an existing Mayberry or WarRoom thread, that they simple agree to move their discourse to a new wasteland thread rather than forcing more work and discretion for moderators.
Does this jibe with protocol?

Already said I am happy to let the threads live in The Wasteland. Hell, I'll give you a 'Religion, Science, and Philosophy Sticky' thread in there if it will keep everyone happy.

~Foz

I already said I do not know why they are closed, if I move one there I leave it open unless of complaints.

Just don't PM us with a 100 page thread about Creationism vs Other Evolutionary theories and expect us to moderate it... :S

~Foz

Ok, I can live with this, so you are saying that wasteland religion and philosophy threads will not be closed in the wasteland?

Why not discuss this stuff in the dump? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back