Petchpanomrung vs Petrosyan

J

Julius_Caesar

Curious to know who you guys would have winning at 155 onefc 5 round kb rules.

At this time, I feel that Pet would win. Against a prime Petrosyan, I'm not so sure haha.

Petrosyan. I don't think he declined much.

honestly i dont really care if petro faces tough competition again or not.

I pick Petro if he comes in his A game, he didnt took a lot of damage in his career due his incredible defense so he didnt declined a lot, but he is turning 33 in 2 months so at this point im ok with him doing whatever he wants

Petrosyan. I don't think he declined much.
He hasnt declined as much as some people make out but he has decline a little. Maybe enough to balance out the size advantage he'd have over Pet.

Not sure how Petro deals with Pet in a 5 round fight. Especially if Pet is as active as he was against Roosmalen. I think Pet is a lot more comfortable against southpaws. Petro has the advantage in boxing and Pet has the advantage with his kicks. But neither have a huge advantage over the other under the rules of kb. Its a fascinating match up.

honestly i dont really care if petro faces tough competition again or not.
Well I do. His win over Chingiz showed he's still at the top along side a couple others. It would seem like a waste if he cherry picked the rest of his career. Its different with guys like Saenchai who left the stadiums. Kickboxing talent pool not as deep. Petro has exclusively signed with Onefc and I'm sure they're gonna feed him a few more good opponents. I'd just love one of them to be Pet.

It's a toss up fight I see it being a razor close decision either way with neither guy taking much damage.

I'd also like to see Pet vs Chingiz.

I don't care what Petrosyan does anymore and I believe he would struggle a lot with a southpaw like Petpanomrung while Petpanomrung has fought southpaws his whole life. I also believe Petrosyan's style would allow Petpanomrung to rely more on his kicks leaving him very comfortable.

That fight is not gonna happen though.

I think petrosyan wins even at this point, I feel like petch hasn't looked as good against rangier southpaw fighters and petro will easily be the best and slickest one he's faced

I think petrosyan wins even at this point, I feel like petch hasn't looked as good against rangier southpaw fighters and petro will easily be the best and slickest one he's faced
Vice versa. Petrosyan hasn't faced a southpaw as skilled and slick as Pet. Pet has faced many skillful southpaws. Just not under kb rules. Pet has faced 2 southpaws under kb. Wei Rui which I think he won but they gave it to Rui and it was his second kb fight. The second southpaw was Adamchuk and I've said this for a long time. Fighters rarely look good against Adamachuk. He's tricky. Just ask Marat.

So you cannot say he doesn't do as well against rangy southpaws based off that 1 fight against Adamchuk. He also didn't look good against Kevin VanNostrand. Does that mean he doesn't do well against rangy orthodox fighters too? I think its more to do with their styles. Not them being southpaw. Petrosyan has a muaythai rhythm that I think Pet will be more comfortable with.

Vice versa. Petrosyan hasn't faced a southpaw as skilled and slick as Pet. Pet has faced many skillful southpaws. Just not under kb rules. Pet has faced 2 southpaws under kb. Wei Rui which I think he won but they gave it to Rui and it was his second kb fight. The second southpaw was Adamchuk and I've said this for a long time. Fighters rarely look good against Adamachuk. He's tricky. Just ask Marat.

So you cannot say he doesn't do as well against rangy southpaws based off that 1 fight against Adamchuk. He also didn't look good against Kevin VanNostrand. Does that mean he doesn't do well against rangy orthodox fighters too? I think its more to do with their styles. Not them being southpaw. Petrosyan has a muaythai rhythm that I think Pet will be more comfortable with.
Kvn is not Orthodox he is southpaw also, another reason petch had problems with him

Pet had more problems with the ref than KvN

Kvn is not Orthodox he is southpaw also, another reason petch had problems with him
Thought he was orthodox but still Pet has been facing southpaws for years so I dont think he has issues with southpaws specifically. I think he has issues fighting styles he is not used to. Petro doesn't fight like Kvn or Adamchuk. He is a muaythai stylist that fights under kb rules.

Thought he was orthodox but still Pet has been facing southpaws for years so I dont think he has issues with southpaws specifically. I think he has issues fighting styles he is not used to. Petro doesn't fight like Kvn or Adamchuk. He is a muaythai stylist that fights under kb rules.

How do you figure this is a good argument as to why he'd do well? Is he not 1-4 in his last 5 against fighters whom have a rhythm that he's used to? It's quite clear he fares better against the opposite kind of fighter, and this thread proves that. I mean, you're asking the question how would a 63 kilogram fighter do against a 70 kilogram fighter who happens to be the best fighter in that sports history. This question implies you think Petpanomrung is unbelievably good because he's looked good against... "not used to" fighters.

Last edited:
How do you figure this is a good argument as to why he'd do well? Is he not 1-4 in his last 5 against fighters whom have a rhythm that he's used to? It's quite clear he fares better against the opposite kind of fighter, and this thread proves that. I mean, you're asking the question how would a 63 kilogram fighter do against a 70 kilogram fighter who happens to be the best fighter in that sports history. This question implies you think Petpanomrung is unbelievably good because he's looked good against... "not used to" fighters.

I never considered the weight difference when I thought of this matchup lol! this alone sways things into Petrosyan's favor of course.

But Petpanomrung's 1-4 records includes an illegal KO loss and another KO loss that doesn't play into this debate at all (Muangthai) and no one in their right mind thinks Petpanomrung is unbelievably good because of his Glory run. He is unbelievably good.

That's a somewhat misleading stat though. Sangmanee is 0-3-1 in his last 4 against thais, I don't think anyone would question his status as one of the top fighters in the game.

I never considered the weight difference when I thought of this matchup lol! this alone sways things into Petrosyan's favor of course.

But Petpanomrung's 1-4 records includes an illegal KO loss and another KO loss that doesn't play into this debate at all (Muangthai) and no one in their right mind thinks Petpanomrung is unbelievably good because of his Glory run. He is unbelievably good.

Why weren't people contemplating Petpanomrung vs Saenchai -- or even any decent super featherweight or lightweight -- back when Petpanomrung was a super bantamweight? It's really no different than wondering about Petpanomrung vs Petrosyan right now. Petpanomrung's kickboxing run clearly shows people have a different (higher) opinion of him now than when he was fighting muay thai. He was a highly regarded fighter a couple years, but now he's super god striker #1 and his convincing losses apparently never happened.

That's a somewhat misleading stat though. Sangmanee is 0-3-1 in his last 4 against thais, I don't think anyone would question his status as one of the top fighters in the game.

How do you think he matches against Yodwicha?

Back