Pernell Whitaker vs. Julio Cesar Chavez: Why No Rematch?

HeavyHands20

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Does anybody that is familiar with this era of boxing, know the backstory as to why this fight wasn't duplicated? Both fighters were arguably in their prime. Big names with large followings. The first fight ended in a controversial draw. I was only 11 at the time and wasn't very in tune with all the surroundings of the boxing world. Curious to hear the input from people on this forum to reflect back on this.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-09-11/sports/sp-33991_1_pernell-whitaker

1.jpg

Does anybody that is familiar with this era of boxing, know the backstory as to why this fight wasn't duplicated? Both fighters were arguably in their prime. Big names with large followings. The first fight ended in a controversial draw. I was only 11 at the time and wasn't very in tune with all the surroundings of the boxing world. Curious to hear the input from people on this forum to reflect back on this.

http://articles.latimes.com/1993-09-11/sports/sp-33991_1_pernell-whitaker

1.jpg
This was a great fight to determine the PFP champ. Chavez had a great run but a close fight with Taylor showed some vulnerability. Whitaker was a defensive virtuoso but someone with Chavez' pressure and debilitating body punching was expected to test his durability.

I thought it was Whitaker's superior size that made the difference. He was able to push Chavez around and keep him from mounting an effective attack. It was scored a draw but a vast majority of observers thought Pernell won.

There was probably no rematch because the question of who was better was answered pretty decisively. Chavez moved back down and Whitaker was considered the best in a tug of war with Roy Jones.

because Chavez got his ass handed to him, and wanted to get to 100 wins without a loss

thank fuck for Randall, i even named my dog after him(patterdale who is now 9 years old)

because chavez was not a 147 whereas whitaker was. people might forget that this type of fight was the reason why catchweights originated...two champions fighting in two different weight classes and not the mayweather/canelo or ray leonard/hearns bullshit

because chavez was not a 147 whereas whitaker was. people might forget that this type of fight was the reason why catchweights originated...two champions fighting in two different weight classes and not the mayweather/canelo or ray leonard/hearns bullshit
Pacquiao was the guy who made catch weights a thing in the modern era.
Mayweather and Canelo were two guys from different weight classes. Mayweather was a welterweight who went up to junior middle occasionally for super fights.

Mayweather and Canelo were two guys from different weight classes. Mayweather was a welterweight who went up to junior middle occasionally for super fights.

mayweather/canelo was a 154 unification fight as well for the lineal title.

the fact that mayweather was the 147 champ means fuk all when demanding a catchweight for a unification fight

lmfao its pacs fault though, the guy who three months later voluntarily relinquished his 154 belt because he did not want to fight as a smw whereas mayweather held both the wba and wbc belts for two fuken years without making one singe legitimate voluntary defense(lmfao maidaina a 154 title defense having never beaten a ranked 147), let alone mandatory, of said belts

Judging by the responses, it was mostly Mayweather and Pacquiao's fault.

I don't know why really, but it wasn't too long after when Randall came along. Chavez was declining after the Camacho fight, some people who know have said the partying and drugs took over. Chavez used to be so humble and disciplined, now the ass kissers followed him everywhere after the Camacho fight. It was huge in Mexico. Anyway, Randall was a complete fighter, more power than whitaker and a good boxer. According to Emmanuel Steward who picked him, he was mentally tougher than Whitaker too. Randall was a top fighter who got lost in drugs, found himself for a late career rennaisance and then sunk even deeper later on. Losses like the rematch with Chavez where he got fucked out and out probably broke him for good. Most people don't know Chavez fought him a third time and won easily.

I remember taking taxis all over Sudbury (not exactly a boxing hotbed) to find a bar showing this one. Whitaker was my favourite fighter and I was pissed he didn’t get the nod, but never felt a rematch was in order. It was just so obvious who won. And yeah, Chavez wasn’t a welterweight.

Chavez couldn't muscle around top fighters at WW. That being said it was a closer fight than usually assessed. Whitaker didn't do much in quite a few rounds.

Mayweather was also the guy that made ”Catch Gloves” a thi..... Nevermind it was never a thing because to do such thing you need to have Mayweather money and most guys would feel like Pussies doing something like that anyways.

Ofcourse if I was on Maidanas end I’d smile take that extra bag $$$ and take those wack ass Powelocks.

Chavez couldn't muscle around top fighters at WW. That being said it was a closer fight than usually assessed. Whitaker didn't do much in quite a few rounds.

I'll stick a round by round thing up for this one, when you say closer....it wasnt a complete shutout, but Chavez didnt get close to a draw.

Judging by the responses, it was mostly Mayweather and Pacquiao's fault.
I was thinkbig about it and we might be able to pin it on Ray Leonard. He did make Donny Lalonde defend his 175 lb title at 168. That’s kinda like planting the seeds of an idea.

I'll stick a round by round thing up for this one, when you say closer....it wasnt a complete shutout, but Chavez didnt get close to a draw.

We're talking about a difference of 1 or 2 rounds between your call and a very close one. Not that wide. It wasn't far from a draw.

We're talking about a difference of 1 or 2 rounds between your call and a very close one. Not that wide. It wasn't far from a draw.

Are you mistaking this for a Chavez-Randall discussion?

because Chavez got his ass handed to him, and wanted to get to 100 wins without a loss

thank fuck for Randall, i even named my dog after him(patterdale who is now 9 years old)

Lol...damn. Do u have a personal beef with Chavez?

Back