Perhaps the most silliest question you can find here

Panmisiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Can you use gaming steering wheel, pedals and gearbox in driving games as 'mini practice' before proper car practice?

I am seriously considering learning to drive and wondering whether this kind of activity could be a taste of a real driving?

I am asking because steering wheel set is not very cheap and some advice would be useful.

1473594648175722388.jpg

This will not help you at all.

It’ll help as much as EA UFC will help you in fighting

Wouldn't it be cheaper to go to driving school? It was half a lifetime ago that I got my license, but I don't recall it costing that much.

This will not help you at all.

Errr, that's just not true. I have a private pilots license, and you spend extensive hours on software that looks archaic by these standards before you actually fly.

It could work to familiarize yourself in that environment and engage distances in a virtual vehicle.
But you don't have any side view or rear view mirrors for changing lanes and parking.
I would avoid racing games if I were you.
Practice on open world games with first person vehicle view, traffic lights, and pedestrians.

Last edited:
yes. it will be loads of help. and as a bonus, when you finally take the driver's test, you'll know how to accelerate as fast as possible, as you drift right into the parking spot... after hitting another parked car and a curb, because your mom's 2004 scion is not actually a rally car.

The short answer is no, no it won't help at all.

Errr, that's just not true. I have a private pilots license, and you spend extensive hours on software that looks archaic by these standards before you actually fly.

Plus, F1 teams have been using heavily modified versions of simulators like rFactor Pro for quite a while to simulate car set ups, lap times and conditions etc., I'd imagine it must be of some use, otherwise they wouldn't waste resources providing it.

...if daily commutes were anything like formula 1, sure.

i played a lot of gran turismo 2/3/4 back in the day, but i don't recall anything about parallel parking or right of way.

It might help a tiny bit but driving a real car is vastly different with a wheel, pedals and paddles or shifter. The feedback just is not realistic. I havent used modern wheel setups I do have a pretty pricy Microsoft official wheel for my 360 which was decent so thats what I have to go off of.

Not sure how much more realistic the Logitech and Ferrari wheels are but they are for simulation driving. It will never be able to replicate the real deal.

With IRL driving you are sitting in a moving cabin so you have to always be scanning around, checking your mirrors, blind spots using your signals, using your clutch (if driving a stick), wipers etc. Basically my point is you have to be more aware and kt can be intimating at first which a racing game will never prepare you for.

It could work to to familiarize yourself in that environment and engage distances in a virtual vehicle.
But you don't have any side view or rear view mirrors for changing lanes and parking.
I would avoid racing games if I were you.
Practice on open world games with first person vehicle view, traffic lights, and pedestrians.

Gta V wouldn't be to bad. First person would be good and you can scan around pseudo realistically. Plus there are lanes, traffic lights, signs, pedestrians and other "rules" to follow.

Still not a good substitute but better then nothing I guess *shrugs*

I hear Twisted Metal is good to help people learn to drive. That's how most people drive, anyway.

Hahaha.... A flight simulator is not the same as "Need for Speed"

There is one game that's fairly popular that I hear that might actually help someone learn to drive.

Especially if you actually try to follow the laws and wear a VR set up.

"I can park a needle in a haystack" - War Robbaz... haha

Last edited:
Hahaha.... A flight simulator is not the same as "Need for Speed"

There is one game that's fairly popular that I hear that might actually help someone learn to drive.

Especially if you actually try to follow the laws and wear a VR set up.

"I can park a needle in a haystack" - War Robbaz... haha

I don't think he's talking about a NFS, Flatout or Burnout game.

With that said. I don't think playing Asetto Corsa, iRacing, Project Cars 2, Forza 7, GT5 Sport or Dirt Rally isn't going to make you a better IRL driver.

Yeah sure it will

Don't you know someone that has a license, and is willing to accompany you? Old man? Mother? Brother? Sister? Using a video game isn't going to help you understand the fundamentals of driving. You won't have a "feel" for speed, momentum, weight etc. It might help you practice driving laws, but that's about it.

My old man took me to a cemetery to learn how to drive when I was 17. It allowed me to drive at a slow speed with minimal traffic (no pressure), but plenty of winding lefts and rights, Once I had "mastered that" introduction, he took me to a parking lot late at night to practice parking.

Fuck spending the bread on driving school. Waste of money, if you ask me.

No aspirations to milk anything but myself or the old lady, but I saw a farm simulator the other day that looked beast.

Back