Perhaps the greatest benefit of increasing fighter pay

Private Whatley

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Provding these guys ample resources to buy better masking agents. Given who's been caught and the frequency with which busts have been occurring, I refuse to believe that PED usage is a phenomenon that's exclusive amongst the supposed bad guys. Perhaps I'm being overly cynical here but MMA is beginning to look a lot like track, cycling and baseball insofar as it's become increasingly difficult to rationalize that the only cheaters are the ones being caught.

MMA fighters are subject to the most stringent year round in a sport with the highest physical stakes and they're generally paid pittances for their troubles. It's all well and good to say, "well then don't tempt fate by cheating durr" but let's be real. It's easy to spout that rhetoric when you're not looking across at a guy who's been training to rip your head off who may or may not be on something himself. The physical stakes are simply too high for me to expect these guys to be mostly clean. Sure, the fighters can all agree to go clean the same way politicians can all make pacts not to attack one another on the campaign trail but that won't last.

Yeah if only Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and Brock Lesnar had enough money to pay for designer gear. Oh wait...

Yeah if only Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and Brock Lesnar had enough money to pay for designer gear. Oh wait...

Good point, it's also worth noting that these guys are getting caught with masking agents a la Manny Ramirez a few years back. My post was somewhat tongue in cheek but it is frustrating to see these cards being destroyed knowing full well that fighters will continue to use so as long as their physical wellbeing, not to mention brain function is consistently on the line.

Seen Icarus ?

All they need is a Russian chemist and it's all good

Or just increase the penalties for failed tests. I bet the number of "accidental" positive tests would go way down if the penalty for masking agents was 3 years minimum. And the penalty for a PED should be a lifetime ban. Implement those changes and watch things clean up.

MLB players were well paid and still got popped regularly. The problem didn't improve until the penalties were increased.

This idea that testing is a bad thing is moronic, CTE is real and a lot of these fighters aren't paid well enough to cover their future medical expenses. Testing is a good thing and will improve the safety of the athletes when the penalties are severe and enforced.

The real reason, besides the obvious, is that they like to keep fighters poor and manageable. Once they get some money in the bank they aren't as easy to push around. ;)

I have been saying almost every top'ish guy in mma was on peds 20 years ago,and they were,but most of them still are.Like cutting weight there's a science behind it,sometimes people get caught.It's so funny people don't get this here but i'm sure most haven't competed for long periods of time in sports with roids all around them.

Best reason to pay fighters more is to attract better athletes to the sport.

Provding these guys ample resources to buy better masking agents. Given who's been caught and the frequency with which busts have been occurring, I refuse to believe that PED usage is a phenomenon that's exclusive amongst the supposed bad guys. Perhaps I'm being overly cynical here but MMA is beginning to look a lot like track, cycling and baseball insofar as it's become increasingly difficult to rationalize that the only cheaters are the ones being caught.

MMA fighters are subject to the most stringent year round in a sport with the highest physical stakes and they're generally paid pittances for their troubles. It's all well and good to say, "well then don't tempt fate by cheating durr" but let's be real. It's easy to spout that rhetoric when you're not looking across at a guy who's been training to rip your head off who may or may not be on something himself. The physical stakes are simply too high for me to expect these guys to be mostly clean. Sure, the fighters can all agree to go clean the same way politicians can all make pacts not to attack one another on the campaign trail but that won't last.
I think that the problem here is that they are ALL looking for a way to improve.
So they take supplements and whatever else they can get that is allowed.
But they can also take something unknowingly they are tainted (i.e. Yoel). Or maybe they are allowed now, but next year they are banned and you didn't notice (like Machida).
Or another fighter gives you something and you trust him/her and get caught (i.e. Hector Lombard).

Many things can happen. Many honest mistakes.
That's why I don't believe "everyone is a cheater".

If they want to regulate, then make a list of what is allowed ONLY and all fighters would be on equal footing.
But the way it is, whoever has money can pay for better stuff, and it becomes a race, a war.
And in many cases, there will be casualties.

Alex Rodriguez failed a drug test

I don't think he actually failed a test but his name was on a distribution list and there were tracked receipts a la Shane Carwin and pre UFC Brock. Neither Bonds nor Lance Armstrong failed any tests either. Both were undone by informants and lab records.

Best reason to pay fighters more is to attract better athletes to the sport.

Was literally about to post this. More money = better calibre of athletes that otherwise would have otherwise gravitated to other, better paid sports

I don't think he actually failed a test but his name was on a distribution list and there were tracked receipts a la Shane Carwin and pre UFC Brock. Neither Bonds nor Lance Armstrong failed any tests either. Both were undone by informants and lab records.
he failed a test years before his suspension. At the time you had to fail two tests to be suspended.

Back