People used to tap to strikes in the old UFC all the time

Easy.

People train grappling and submission, and tapping becomes a reflex to a submission position. On the other hand, during striking training, people take breaks and make pauses: there is no "tapping" in striking drills.

For a pro fighter to tap to strikes, he really needs to have a quitter's mentality, and bring the reflex of submissions to striking. Great fighters eat the punishment and wait for the ref or take a nap.
Easy does not mean your answer is not stupid though.

Holly Holm and many others have proven you can train or avoid tapping to a zero damage blood choke. Fighters have all been around long enough now to realize they are at near zero risk in a choke and just quitting because its scary to go to sleep and to wake up seconds longer with zero damage. Heck I can show you sports reporters with more balls who volunteered to go to sleep with a blood choke. Its that easy.

Quite the opposite. I showed you why it's normal to tap to submissions and an aberration to tap to strikes.

You have no "logic". There is no logic to be had: fighters act out of instinct, training, conditioning, etc. Tapping to strikes is such an aberration, that it is rare enough to make a short list of when it happened.

Tapping to strikes demonstrates a lack of heart, full stop.
Lack of heart eh? That's why the guy was almost KO'ed by a headkick and came back to dominate and win.

The same guy with no heart, per you, had his nose broken in round 1, only to come back and win.

That same guy with no heart, got hurt against a juiced up Hendricks, only to come back and win in the championship rounds.

Tapping to a little triangle is the definition of heart by comparison though.

Again, your logic, it does not exist. You could just be real with me and say you're a Silva fanboy that has to shit on how great another fighter is, in order to validate your boy.

It's rare nowadays, but there's nothing wrong with it. Not answering the bell is worse, but even that can br forgiven.

Even when other fighters shit on fighters for tapping to strikes, it irks me. But hearing fans do it is just fuckin hilarious. Go let Luke Rockhold hit you with those "pillowfists" for 90 seconds.

I love Big Daddy Goodridge, but he's a terrible example of tapping.

lossDon FryeUFC 8 - David vs. Goliath
Feb / 16 / 1996Submission (Position)
John McCarthy12:14
Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Gary-Goodridge-129#VyfX1U7LYcgSgFM6.99

lossMario NetoUVF 6 - Universal Vale Tudo Fighting 6
Mar / 03 / 1997Submission (No Apparent Reason)
N/A16:02

lossDon FryeUFC - Ultimate Ultimate 1996
Dec / 07 / 1996Submission (Fatigue)
John McCarthy111:19

lossMark ColemanUFC 10 - The Tournament
Jul / 12 / 1996Submission (Exhaustion)
John McCarthy17:00

No apparent reason LoL
Guy probably had to take a dump

Lack of heart eh? That's why the guy was almost KO'ed by a headkick and came back to dominate and win.

The same guy with no heart, per you, had his nose broken in round 1, only to come back and win.

That same guy with no heart, got hurt against a juiced up Hendricks, only to come back and win in the championship rounds.

Tapping to a little triangle is the definition of heart by comparison though.

Again, your logic, it does not exist. You could just be real with me and say you're a Silva fanboy that has to shit on how great another fighter is, in order to validate your boy.

Ah, uh, I stumbled upon a GSPist. You guys are easier to trigger than Conor fans, LOL. No, I'm not a Silva fanboy, I hate fanboys of all sorts.

Did Hendricks test positive for that fight?

people who call professional fighters a wuss need to first enter the cage and face a fighter themselves before talking shit.

these are professionals.
they assess that they can't win, they save themselves for the battles to come.

just look at Rich Franklin (after A SIlva's thai plum), or Junior after Cain fights... those guys are not the same BECAUSE they had heart and didn't quit.

Now compare with GSP after losing to Serra by Tapping to strikes.... he went back, dominated Serra in the rematch and went on to become (at least) WW GOAT.

Yeah, if you have to tap to strikes, verbally tap or tap to a submission hold of any kind, so be it. Doesn't make you any less of a fighter other than having a loss on your record. Hell of a lot easier to train and coach without a broken arm, orbital, elbow, crushed windpipe or a severe head injury. I'd also add that corners need to protect their fighters much more.

Holly Holm and many others have proven you can train or avoid tapping to a zero damage blood choke. Fighters have all been around long enough now to realize they are at near zero risk in a choke and just quitting because its scary to go to sleep and to wake up seconds longer with zero damage. Heck I can show you sports reporters with more balls who volunteered to go to sleep with a blood choke. Its that easy.

not all submissions are chokes. You can break an arm, bust a knee, which can cost you a long rehab and so on. You didn't bother paying attention to what I wrote. Tapping to submissions is a learned behaviour. Nobody taps to strikes in training, the closest thing are stoppages or taking a knee. But there is not tapping to strikes as a reflex.

Your response is stupid because it completely missed my point, which is easy and correct. It's a learned behaviour.

Both Harold Howard and Gary Goodridge tapped to strikes. Interesting huh? I guess it didnt have the stigma it has now.

Some also used to eat a lot of headbutts, jus´like Gurgel against Kerr, at openweight..

Of course, this wasnt UFC, but a much more hardcore org...[WVC]

Ah, uh, I stumbled upon a GSPist. You guys are easier to trigger than Conor fans, LOL. No, I'm not a Silva fanboy, I hate fanboys of all sorts.

Did Hendricks test positive for that fight?
You are a fanboy and have been outed. Thanks for playing. It's been fun!

@NotSoSure is just another one of those GSP troll haters. Legit not worth wasting time on. Just add the troll to your ignore list and move on. You can't be logical with trolls.

You are a fanboy and have been outed. Thanks for playing. It's been fun!

Haha, speak for yourself. You got all hurt from a simple comment: you're the fangirl. I will put Silva fanboys in their place just like I'm putting you in a heartbeat. All you fanboys destroy these forums.

Answer the question: did Hendricks test positive for anything in a fight he WON against GSP?

@NotSoSure is just another one of those GSP troll haters. Legit not worth wasting time on. Just add the troll to your ignore list and move on. You can't be logical with trolls.

So your definition of trolling is: "saying the truth about my misplaced target of affection"?

GTFO, you're the fangirl troll who lies and weaves a false narrative just to elevate your object of misplaced affection.

people who call professional fighters a wuss need to first enter the cage and face a fighter themselves before talking shit.

these are professionals.
they assess that they can't win, they save themselves for the battles to come.

just look at Rich Franklin (after A SIlva's thai plum), or Junior after Cain fights... those guys are not the same BECAUSE they had heart and didn't quit.

Now compare with GSP after losing to Serra by Tapping to strikes.... he went back, dominated Serra in the rematch and went on to become (at least) WW GOAT.

Jds is goat example of guy who was too tough for himself. Everyone could see that he was wrecked and im pretty sure in the 3rd fight he has no memories past the second round. #justhoemorage

There isn't a great deal of mental strength difference between:

1. Tapping to strikes
2. Rolling over and giving your opponent an easy choke.
3. Completely and totally turtling to the point where you are literally incapable of getting to your feet or generating offense, and simply waiting for the ref to stop the fight.

It's a hard business man. People should err on the side of being too respectful to fighters vis-a-vis matters of courage and heart than the opposite.

not all submissions are chokes. You can break an arm, bust a knee, which can cost you a long rehab and so on.
Yes, I said that. I referred specifically to blood chokes.

And weird that you do not understand getting punched repeatedly in the face can have far worse long term repercussions and rehab than even broken limbs.

Developing a glass jaw or becoming punch drunk are life time issues.

Interesting why do you not consider them?

You didn't bother paying attention to what I wrote. Tapping to submissions is a learned behaviour. Nobody taps to strikes in training, the closest thing are stoppages or taking a knee. But there is not tapping to strikes as a reflex.
Yes and it can easily be unlearned by anyone who is brave as we have seen many fighters willingly go out to blood chokes (see Holly Holm V Meisha).

WTF would fighters want to learn that in sport MMA when we have seen guys fight and break deeply sunk in blood chokes and if you do not the worse thing is you take a few seconds nap and wake up without even a bruise.

What type of wuss is afraid of a nap? Are you afraid of a nap? As you start to fall asleep at night do you suddenly panic and start tapping?

Do I need to show you News Reporters who are so tough that they over came the need to tap which you are suggestion a professional fighter cannot simply train to over come?

Your response is stupid because it completely missed my point, which is easy and correct. It's a learned behaviour.
The easiest corrected and learned behaviour would be to not tap to a choke.

I want you to watch how incredibly easy it is for this reporter to simply DECIDE prior that he will not panic or tap out to a choke (4.50) and instead just go to sleep and then tell me why you think fighters are such pussies they cannot accept this as they enter the cage or learn it?

Jds is goat example of guy who was too tough for himself. Everyone could see that he was wrecked and im pretty sure in the 3rd fight he has no memories past the second round. #justhoemorage
Yup.

But what shertards like NotSoSure say is that 'who cares that he is now showing signs of career limiting brain injury, he bled for my exciiiitttttement and that is what I demand. I don't give a shit about his career, his life after fighting or how long his chin and prime last. I want to be entertained and it is fun seeing guys get their ass beat'.

Anyone who has a brain however knows this idea that these guys are gladiators who need to go out on their shields (but tapping to chokes is ok) and not worry about their careers or lives is just a troll and likely stupid.

Yeah but fighters in the old days hit much harder, thats why. Nowadays a lot of the fighters weigh the same as a teenage boy. Or its girl fighters.

Yes, I said that. I referred specifically to blood chokes.

And weird that you do not understand getting punched repeatedly in the face can have far worse long term repercussions and rehab than even broken limbs.

Developing a glass jaw or becoming punch drunk are life time issues.

Interesting why do you not consider them?

Yes and it can easily be unlearned by anyone who is brave as we have seen many fighters willingly go out to blood chokes (see Holly Holm V Meisha).

WTF would fighters want to learn that in sport MMA when we have seen guys fight and break deeply sunk in blood chokes and if you do not the worse thing is you take a few seconds nap and wake up without even a bruise.

What type of wuss is afraid of a nap? Are you afraid of a nap? As you start to fall asleep at night do you suddenly panic and start tapping?

Do I need to show you News Reporters who are so tough that they over came the need to tap which you are suggestion a professional fighter cannot simply train to over come?

The easiest corrected and learned behaviour would be to not tap to a choke.

I want you to watch how incredibly easy it is for this reporter to simply DECIDE prior that he will not panic or tap out to a choke (4.50) and instead just go to sleep and then tell me why you think fighters are such pussies they cannot accept this as they enter the cage or learn it?

Fighters want to avoid trauma to the head. But they are not as aware of the damages of brain trauma, which tends to accumulate in the long term. If you poll professional fighters to inquire whether they rather be KO'd or burst an ACL, we could have an idea of where their priorities are. I have no idea what the answers would be. I wouldn't be surprised that they trivialise the head injury to some extent.

The blood choke? You still don't get the point: you LEARN to tap to those. It's uncomfortable, feels like shit, and it's normal to tap out. You have one example of someone who didn't tap out, out of 100s of tap outs. That comes to mind, the other "famous" case is Machida v. Jones.

You simply do not understand how humans behave with repetition and conditioning, and you are taking an exception to make a case against the rule. It's nonsensical.

Smart way to avoid unnecessary punishment. I don't get the hate.

Last edited:
Back