People used to tap to strikes in the old UFC all the time

3rd RULE: If someone says "stop" or goes limp, taps out the fight is over.

Nope, tapping to a submission is the right gesture.
Just admit you are the typical MMA "fan" with no ability to be impartial.

Getting your head caved in and tapping is more shameful than tapping to a fucking triangle choke.

Your logic, where is it?

- tapping to strike to not take the unnecessary brain damage and displease the sherdoggers

vs

- not tapping to strikes and take all the damage the other guy can inflict on you, but the sherdoggers will be happy

giphy.gif

I love Big Daddy Goodridge, but he's a terrible example of tapping.

lossDon FryeUFC 8 - David vs. Goliath
Feb / 16 / 1996Submission (Position)
John McCarthy12:14
Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Gary-Goodridge-129#VyfX1U7LYcgSgFM6.99

lossMario NetoUVF 6 - Universal Vale Tudo Fighting 6
Mar / 03 / 1997Submission (No Apparent Reason)
N/A16:02

lossDon FryeUFC - Ultimate Ultimate 1996
Dec / 07 / 1996Submission (Fatigue)
John McCarthy111:19

lossMark ColemanUFC 10 - The Tournament
Jul / 12 / 1996Submission (Exhaustion)
John McCarthy17:00

Art Jimmerson tapped to Royce's B.O.

idk any of those old fighters and i could care less.
only bitches tap to strikes.

cm punk got a worst beating than branch and didn't tap out to strikes. if you are lesser than cm punk then you a bitch.

Didn't cain tap to a choke? a guilitine is a choke...why didn't people give cain crap for tapping?
Exactly. And didn't Wedum already nearly catch him in the same choke earlier in the fight? My memory might be failing me. But if so, you could say that Cain was looking for a way out after being exhausted and rocked on the feet, by shooting for a takedown that any black belt could easily counter.

- tapping to strike to not take the unnecessary brain damage and displease the sherdoggers

vs

- not tapping to strikes and take all the damage the other guy can inflict on you, but the sherdoggers will be happy

giphy.gif

Sherdogger's happiness is the most important thing ever.:D

Just admit you are the typical MMA "fan" with no ability to be impartial.

Getting your head caved in and tapping is more shameful than tapping to a fucking triangle choke.

Your logic, where is it?

Easy.

People train grappling and submission, and tapping becomes a reflex to a submission position. On the other hand, during striking training, people take breaks and make pauses: there is no "tapping" in striking drills.

For a pro fighter to tap to strikes, he really needs to have a quitter's mentality, and bring the reflex of submissions to striking. Great fighters eat the punishment and wait for the ref or take a nap.

Tapping to strikes disqualifies a fighter from being considered a "great".
GSP+tapping+to+Strikes.gif

And since chokes and arm locks have far less severe long term consequences than head strikes (ask any doctor), tapping to chokes and locks are even greater disqualifications.

So who do we have on the list now? Jones has never tapped to anything, so he's still there. GSP, Anderson and Fedor have tapped, so they're out. So has Conor.

The list gets to be pretty small when tapping is a disqualification.

We could put in a gradient. Medically, the least justifiable thing to tap to is a choke, so that's the biggest disqualifier. After that, the next hardest to justify medically is tapping to a lock, so that's the second biggest disqualifier. The easiest to justify medically is tapping to strikes, so that's the least of the disqualifiers.

Now GSP has tapped to an arm lock and strikes, so he has the 2nd and the 3rd disqualifiers.
Fedor tapped to a choke, as did Conor and Anderson, so they have the biggest disqualifiers.

Looking good for Jones ...

People think this is controversial, but medically its very straight forward. Its why medical associations (like the Canadian and British) are trying to ban MMA and boxing because of head strikes, but have no problem with judo or BJJ with their chokes and locks.

What's crazy is that people regard what McGregor did against Diaz worse than they do tapping to strikes.

"They become desperation wrestlers"

Come on man, you already knew that was the answer to this.

Both Harold Howard and Gary Goodridge tapped to strikes. Interesting huh? I guess it didnt have the stigma it has now.

Because back in that days the referee would stop the fight only when you die.

Depending how far back you're going the ref wouldn't step in unless you tapped or went out. Sometimes you had to tap or you'd get pummelled all fucking day.

Easy.

People train grappling and submission, and tapping becomes a reflex to a submission position. On the other hand, during striking training, people take breaks and make pauses: there is no "tapping" in striking drills.

For a pro fighter to tap to strikes, he really needs to have a quitter's mentality, and bring the reflex of submissions to striking. Great fighters eat the punishment and wait for the ref or take a nap.
In other words, you have no logic?

I'm sorry but there is no arguing your way out of tapping to a triangle choke is better than tapping to strikes.

It's not. I would tap to getting my head caved in far quicker than any choke ever being applied. I think you actually have to be retarded to think otherwise.

Between reffing and people not even knowing what a guard is this is surprising?

Tapping to strikes disqualifies a fighter from being considered a "great".
GSP+tapping+to+Strikes.gif
Pretty much this^

Tapping to strikes to guy half your size, and while being a 14:1 favorite, is an automatic DQ from any GOAT discussion.

Both Harold Howard and Gary Goodridge tapped to strikes. Interesting huh? I guess it didnt have the stigma it has now.

More interestingly, some dudes - especially the Japanese muthas like Shoji or Matsui or Otsuka - used to REFUSE to tap to subs...

thinking about it, if that's the way to find out who's the baddest MF'er around, I vote Kabbage!

link
Yup.

Think about the Teixeira beating laid on Maldonado or Chris Cyborg beating of Jan Finney where the ref's should have jumped in and stopped the fight much earlier.

those were some ungodly and likely, career shortening, beatings and many lesser fighters would have crumpled and went out cold saving themselves the additional blows.

Sometimes fighters chins are too good, or they are simply too tough and they do not go out cold where others would and that toughness means they just keep eating more and more punches and likely shortening their careers.

Ironically if these same tougher fighters who do not black out easily instead blacked out in those same fights the same fans making fun of them for tapping to strikes would be mocking them for having a glass jaw proven, because they blacked out.

Depending how far back you're going the ref wouldn't step in unless you tapped or went out. Sometimes you had to tap or you'd get pummelled all fucking day.
Because back in that days the referee would stop the fight only when you die.

it is the same situation now. Sure its more rare but in the instances where guys have tapped now its because the ref is not stopping it until the guy goes out and is instead allowing the beating to continue uncontested.

In other words, you have no logic?

I'm sorry but there is no arguing your way out of tapping to a triangle choke is better than tapping to strikes.

It's not. I would tap to getting my head caved in far quicker than any choke ever being applied. I think you actually have to be retarded to think otherwise.

Quite the opposite. I showed you why it's normal to tap to submissions and an aberration to tap to strikes.

You have no "logic". There is no logic to be had: fighters act out of instinct, training, conditioning, etc. Tapping to strikes is such an aberration, that it is rare enough to make a short list of when it happened.

Tapping to strikes demonstrates a lack of heart, full stop.

Back