People used to tap to strikes in the old UFC all the time

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Both Harold Howard and Gary Goodridge tapped to strikes. Interesting huh? I guess it didnt have the stigma it has now.

Guys in the old UFC were wearing fanny packs and new balance shoes

people who call professional fighters a wuss need to first enter the cage and face a fighter themselves before talking shit.

these are professionals.
they assess that they can't win, they save themselves for the battles to come.

just look at Rich Franklin (after A SIlva's thai plum), or Junior after Cain fights... those guys are not the same BECAUSE they had heart and didn't quit.

Now compare with GSP after losing to Serra by Tapping to strikes.... he went back, dominated Serra in the rematch and went on to become (at least) WW GOAT.

Gene Kelly in the days of old tapped to 'Singing in the Rain'

Last edited:
I like to tap dance and i'm really fuckin tough, so people are clearly mis-informed

Tapping to strikes disqualifies a fighter from being considered a "great".
GSP+tapping+to+Strikes.gif

people who call professional fighters a wuss need to first enter the cage and face a fighter themselves before talking shit.

these are professionals.

just look at Rich Franklin (after A SIlva's thai plum), or Junior after Cain fights... those guys are not the same BECAUSE they had heart and didn't quit.

Now compare with GSP after losing to Serra by Tapping to strikes.... he went back, dominated Serra in the rematch and went on to become (at least) WW GOAT.
Franklin is a bad example imo. He never really had a chance to "tap".

He did quit when he realized his nose was smashed, and that was like 2 minutes in the fight.

I love Big Daddy Goodridge, but he's a terrible example of tapping.

lossDon FryeUFC 8 - David vs. Goliath
Feb / 16 / 1996Submission (Position)
John McCarthy12:14
Read more at http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Gary-Goodridge-129#VyfX1U7LYcgSgFM6.99

lossMario NetoUVF 6 - Universal Vale Tudo Fighting 6
Mar / 03 / 1997Submission (No Apparent Reason)
N/A16:02

lossDon FryeUFC - Ultimate Ultimate 1996
Dec / 07 / 1996Submission (Fatigue)
John McCarthy111:19

lossMark ColemanUFC 10 - The Tournament
Jul / 12 / 1996Submission (Exhaustion)
John McCarthy17:00

It's definitely smart, but I guess it does suggest some sort of lack of mental strength. What's crazy is that people regard what McGregor did against Diaz worse than they do tapping to strikes.

TS, there are always a group of tards who think tapping to strikes is worth mentioning. They are a small but loud and very stupid group.

For instance tapping to a blood choke is far worse if you want to grade them. Go out like Holly Holm did V Meisha and you have no ill effects after. If you happen to be too tough and do not black out easily and are just eating shot after shot, sure you prove your toughness but you also are likely shortening your career and getting to that 'glass jaw' much earlier.

A shertard says 'i don't care about him shortening his career or getting a glass jaw. I want to see him eat more punches as that is exciiiiitttting!'

Franklin is a bad example imo. He never really had a chance to "tap".

He did quit when he realized his nose was smashed, and that was like 2 minutes in the fight.
that's the thing., verbal tap. he could have done it, but did not.
Instead he took more damage until he couldn't take it anymore and fell down. That's when the ref stopped Silva.

these are professionals.

Yup. People do not understand that the tougher you are the more damage you will take before you black out.

So somehow the guy who simply blacks out earlier and is saved by the ref is more tough than a guy that can take ungodly abuse and not pass out and just keep taking damage.

I mean, Harold Howard was never considered a great fighter. Literally as soon as a fight even began to not go his way he was pretty much instantly done for. He had some punching power but virtually nothing else going for him.

Big Daddy tapped because he was so exhausted that he couldn't do anything, not because he couldn't take getting hit. He improved his stamina later in his career but in his early UFC days he became notorious for being defenseless against anyone who could last for more than a couple of minutes against him - first exposed against Don Frye.

Yup. People do not understand that the tougher you are the more damage you will take before you black out.

So somehow the guy who simply blacks out earlier and is saved by the ref is more tough than a guy that can take ungodly abuse and not pass out and just keep taking damage.
thinking about it, if that's the way to find out who's the baddest MF'er around, I vote Kabbage!

link

It's definitely smart, but I guess it does suggest some sort of lack of mental strength. What's crazy is that people regard what McGregor did against Diaz worse than they do tapping to strikes.

Didn't cain tap to a choke? a guilitine is a choke...why didn't people give cain crap for tapping?

Back