People lying about how long they have been training?

DanMMAleague

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Has anybody encountered this?

I remember back when I was training a guy came the class and claimed it was his first lesson yet he locked up a kimura on a BJJ purple belt.

I remember back when I was training a guy came the class and claimed it was his first lesson yet he locked up a kimura on a BJJ purple belt.
Because they want people to think they are phenomenal.

6'5, 275lbs lean, thick, shredded.

Happens, but you have to understand that in these ages Mma fans watch a whooole lot of shit, they probable backyard grapple with friends, and the purple wasn't expecting not probably care about it.

It happens all the time. Guys train at a place. Leave and start over some where else and say they never trained. I knew a guy that trained at new places all the time and wore a white belt..... for 10 years. Literally guy would train and once he thought he was getting promoted he bounced. Lived in several different cities. He would come in every once in a while and all the guys who knew him would make sure he didn't role with any white or blue belts. And we would smash him.

My advice is your first role with anyone one, smash them once real quick so you get a feeling of where they are. This way you are never caught off guard

"Go easy on me, I'm new"

translation: competitive purple

I've been known to downplay my experience. I pop to a BJJ class once in a blue moon. I won't tell them I've had six years of judo. I'll just say it's my third class. I want to be considered a blank canvas. I'm there to learn.

I've been known to downplay my experience. I pop to a BJJ class once in a blue moon. I won't tell them I've had six years of judo. I'll just say it's my third class. I want to be considered a blank canvas. I'm there to learn.
And that is fine as long as you don't rip some unsuspecting white belts to pieces

Yes, me. LMAO. But I do it for the opposite reason. I'm so bad that I'm embarrassed to tell people how long I've been training. So I tell them I've been training for months instead of years. I can see it clicking in my opponents' heads after they smash me with such ease.

Yes, me. LMAO. But I do it for the opposite reason. I'm so bad that I'm embarrassed to tell people how long I've been training. So I tell them I've been training for months instead of years. I can see it clicking in my opponents' heads after they smash me with such ease.

It's ok if you do it for this reason in my opinion as long as you are as bad as you think.

You take a guy who has been training in the gi for three months but overall no gi for three years and he rolls with a purple belt who taps him out you can start messing with people's heads, ruin their confidence or make them think they are over trained for a competition.

I think that's unfair to everyone. People around you need to know if you've grappled or not. At least if they ask.

Lol.

You are sand bagging.

Well to be fair, it depends on your judo... Ive known judo black belts who ground game wasn't much better than a. White belt with a couple of stripes, I've known judo black belts whoa ground game were very solid... It depends on the school I guess... There's a judo black belt downhere who has always done 50/50, dude is a Bjj black belt as well now, he's a beast in every aspect of the game.

Then there's this dude that went to the last Olympic Games, he went to roll with us a couple of times, let's just say he isn't even blue belt level...

Last edited:

Yes. This happens quite often.

Nothing suprises me anymore on the mats. You encounter way more NEW students who were either former athetes who are strong and fit or they have trained some kind of martial arts before but lie about it so they are also strong and fit.

It's rarer now a days to meet a complete new couch potato student. BJJ strongly attracts those 2 types as well.

Na, no sandbagging. I'm there to learn BJJ. I'll go light if someone else is new. I'll return the favour if a senior student wants to go hard.

Almost always play guard. That's what I'm there for.

I knew a guy that trained at new places all the time and wore a white belt..... for 10 years. Literally guy would train and once he thought he was getting promoted he bounced. Lived in several different cities. He would come in every once in a while and all the guys who knew him would make sure he didn't role with any white or blue belts. And we would smash him.

@SummerStriker : the game is afoot.

Na, no sandbagging. I'm there to learn BJJ. I'll go light if someone else is new. I'll return the favour if a senior student wants to go hard.

Almost always play guard. That's what I'm there for.

Once I wore a kid white belt at our Saturday judo beginner class. The belt was so small I could only tie it once around the waist and the ends were at knee high.

The black belt judo instructor (who happened to be my blue belt in Bjj) decided to matched me up to 2 unsuspecting judo black belts.

They must have thought that I was total newbie.

The thing is you should always be wary of new guys and fall complacent and drop your guard so to speak.

After years in Bjj, I had my share of people coming to test us. Not like gracie challenge style but you still can tell that they wanted to prove that their style was better.

You have mma gyms to blame as well.

I have a new student that can heel hook me but he does not know how to do a straight ankle lock

Last edited:
Well to be fair, it depends on your judo... Ive known judo black belts who ground game wasn't much better than a. White belt with a couple of stripes, I've known judo black belts whoa ground game were very solid... It depends on the school I guess... There's a judo black belt downhere who has always done 50/50, dude is a Bjj black belt as well now, he's a beast in every aspect of the game.

Then there's this dude that went to the last Olympic Games, he went to roll with us a couple of times, let's just say he isn't even blue belt level...

In France Ne-Waza was secondary for years, when I was doing judo it was really not teached properly, sounds like thanks to BJJ and our lackluster results at last olympics and world, its now back in judo school, and ne waza competitions are kind of popular again.. ground game in judo will improve in coming years for sure, they have seen how BJJ schools are doing well and the success of judoka with dedicated ground games.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back