People claiming side on-stances won't work in full contact - explain Stephen Thompson

Stephen Thompson: "The exception [that] proves the rule" is a saying whose meaning has been interpreted or misinterpreted in various ways. Its true, or at least original, meaning is that the presence of an exception applying to a specific case establishes ("proves") that a general rule exists.

If only Wonderboy had better skills going forward, like Machida... then I'm pretty sure his problems with pressure fighters would decrease, simply because he could throw on his own pressure when someone was getting to close.
hm i havent watched machida fight in a while. He did change styles once or twice.

He is literally kicking ass with a TKD/Kickboxing side on-stance. Yet people always claim low kicks will demolish any such stances and that TKD guys would have to change it.

Explain then Thompsons success in full contact free fighting, please...
White privilage

You can't claim anything doesn't work in full contact. Look at ... like, the top 30 best boxers and MMA fighters of all time and pretty much none of them are going to have similar stances. Mayweather looks nothing like Fedor looks nothing Marciano looks nothing like Roy Jones Jr. looks nothing like Anderson Silva looks nothing like Tyson. Not a single one of those people fought in the stereotypical textbook fighting stance that is taught on your first day of boxing.

Steven Thompson has 20 professional KICKBOXING rules fights.

He does MMA and Kickboxing with strong use of karate styles.

There literally is no punching to the head or blocking it in karate, so by default that is boxing/Kickboxing.

Stephen Thompson is REALLY good at fighting generaly.

He is conditioned enough to make that style work, meaning to spam rangy kicks before you can force a in fight with him AND he got the grappling and boxing to back it up when it goes past karate style fighting.

In short you are not Stephen Thompson and he is a karate, kickbox and mma fighter utilizing ALL elements from these sports.

No, he will not, someone with good boxing and a pressure fighter with good feints to draw out his counters, mix in a good wrestling background........look at the range that Thompson had over Woodley in their fight but he still connected with Thompsons jaw.

When Thompson is not allowed space and time to get things going he suffers.

Hehe...you said "space and time" lol.

I will if I get too comfortable, I'll start imitating Ba Gua stances, they're not done so much as to taunt, but to losen me up, and they can confuse the hell out of someone. Try it if you haven't. You'll see how it can definitely throw people off, especially those fighters who get into rythms or are good at getting a feel for yours
Not sure what u call a Ba Gua stance. Most of their work is low circle walking to build knee/hip strength and flexibility. They do some pigeon toed and duck toed transitions, but I'm not sure if that would be a "stance".

Curious to see what u r explaining cause those postures utilized by a regular sparring practitioner would be cool if they could b applied effectively. I haven't padded up for years and didn't know much about that shit when I was...

Not sure what u call a Ba Gua stance. Most of their work is low circle walking to build knee/hip strength and flexibility. They do some pigeon toed and duck toed transitions, but I'm not sure if that would be a "stance".

Curious to see what u r explaining cause those postures utilized by a regular sparring practitioner would be cool if they could b applied effectively. I haven't padded up for years and didn't know much about that shit when I was...
I used to spar a bagua guy who stood like this. He taught me how to step into my straight punches, pretty much like what my boxing coach taught me.
ward-off-right.jpg

I don't really get how these threads get very long when the answer is pretty simple.

There are things you can get away with in MMA that you just can't get away with in Kickboxing or Muay Thai.

The distance you can fight with a long, bladed stance is perfect for MMA where you want to stay farther away from your opponent you wants to grab you and take you down. People also simply don't train leg kicks that much, and if they throw them willy nilly, even a guy like Thompson can catch them and take you down.

You try that shit in a Kickboxing ring, you can get abused. Much like how if you fight in a Thai stance in boxing you will get beaten, and vise versa, there are things that are great in MMA that just don't working in other striking arts. If you go in with a Karate side stance in Muay Thai, you will be creamed.

I used to spar a bagua guy who stood like this. He taught me how to step into my straight punches, pretty much like what my boxing coach taught me.
ward-off-right.jpg
Cool, the body mechanics r the same. The difference is active sparring integrates them into that application.

It's always funny when people think of Crouching Tiger kind of shit when the subject of these arts comes up.

The basics r the basics of human physiology. If you sweat them in any legit lineage art and have experience or aptitude you'll find them.

From my background it's great seeing the use of space and timing being utilized in MMA. If you isolate Olympic TKD mobility and footwork it's so quick and agile that drilling it could only be a benefit to reacting to someone shooting on you for a TD.

Then in clinch work I think it was Swanson who was going for the hip throws and he landed a Koshi Gurma.

Both areas I've been screaming at the screen for years for guys to do in MMA, LOL!

I don't really get how these threads get very long when the answer is pretty simple.

There are things you can get away with in MMA that you just can't get away with in Kickboxing or Muay Thai.

The distance you can fight with a long, bladed stance is perfect for MMA where you want to stay farther away from your opponent you wants to grab you and take you down. People also simply don't train leg kicks that much, and if they throw them willy nilly, even a guy like Thompson can catch them and take you down.

You try that shit in a Kickboxing ring, you can get abused. Much like how if you fight in a Thai stance in boxing you will get beaten, and vise versa, there are things that are great in MMA that just don't working in other striking arts. If you go in with a Karate side stance in Muay Thai, you will be creamed.

So what? Most if not all MMA fighters train Muay Thai as their stand up so why not low kick Thompson and prove your point then?

Cool, the body mechanics r the same. The difference is active sparring integrates them into that application.

It's always funny when people think of Crouching Tiger kind of shit when the subject of these arts comes up.

The basics r the basics of human physiology. If you sweat them in any legit lineage art and have experience or aptitude you'll find them.

From my background it's great seeing the use of space and timing being utilized in MMA. If you isolate Olympic TKD mobility and footwork it's so quick and agile that drilling it could only be a benefit to reacting to someone shooting on you for a TD.

Then in clinch work I think it was Swanson who was going for the hip throws and he landed a Koshi Gurma.

Both areas I've been screaming at the screen for years for guys to do in MMA, LOL!
yeah this guy sparred full and semi contact. He really threw me off. I'm a karate guy so when he tried to take my back out of my peripheral vision, i spinning back kicked him. Felt like kicking a brick wall. He does iron body and shit like that.

So what? Most if not all MMA fighters train Muay Thai as their stand up so why not low kick Thompson and prove your point then?

I don't think you read his post right.

Anyways, on a topical note, Francois Pennachio was really good at countering an opponents right leg kick with his right cross (and the left round kick with a right leg kick).

Last edited:

Anyways, on a topical note, Francois Pennachio was really good at countering an opponents right leg kick with his right cross.
yeah savate is underrated. Lucien Carbin also lost to richard sylla

Anyways, on a topical note, Francois Pennachio was really good at countering an opponents right leg kick with his right cross.

Thompson is not a wrestler. There is no danger of being taken down with the low kicks.

You're a troll who STILL hasn't been banned, which is why I don't post here anymore. You've been here long enough to have this explained again and again. It's not rocket science.

You're a troll who STILL hasn't been banned, which is why I don't post here anymore. You've been here long enough to have this explained again and again. It's not rocket science.

The reason I haven't been banned is because there is NOTHING to ban me for.

I think it's because they train in it but they're not good at it. For example, Woodley has been a wrestler for his whole career. Spending time working on low kicks to kick Stephen's leg isn't smart. There's no way he's gonna learn how to do it effectively enough in months, when Stephen has been defending leg kicks from better strikers even in his bladed stance for years.

Back