People claiming side on-stances won't work in full contact - explain Stephen Thompson

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by spacetime, Dec 13, 2016.

1. spacetime Purple Belt

spacetime
    He is literally kicking ass with a TKD/Kickboxing side on-stance. Yet people always claim low kicks will demolish any such stances and that TKD guys would have to change it.

Explain then Thompsons success in full contact free fighting, please...

2. Bekim Blue Belt

Bekim
    Please point me to a non-troll post that says this......

Also, not taking anything away from Wonder Boy but apart from a past his prime Patrick Cote (who he did not finish), please point me to another fighter that Wonderboy has beat who's primary game is stand up.........

3. Jimmy H Purple Belt

Jimmy H
    robert whitaker,rpry mcadonald usually stands

fortheo, Dilaanf_ and Alanf7 like this.
  4. MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

MadSquabbles500
    Is this the same Stephen Thompson that got embarrassed by Raymond the Real Deal Daniels in Chuck Norris's World Combat league?

I believe in that one Daniels was using the ultra sideways stance, and bouncing up and down, while Thompson was more squared and trying to play the muay thai game.

Also I just realized Thompson recently drew with Woodley. I guess that sideway stance is good against the takedown?

5. Bekim Blue Belt

Bekim
    You mean the same Rory that grapples outside at Metamoris?? with no history in Stand up and fights out of TriStar gym.....

And Robert Whitaker.....please an Aussie with no history of stand up in ring sports........(Thailand is not far away).

Like I said apart from a past his prime predator...........

6. spacetime Purple Belt

spacetime
    So you guys think Thompson would get punished by an active Muay Thai-stylists with his side on stance?

7. Jimmy H Purple Belt

Jimmy H
    not with mma gloves

8. Bekim Blue Belt

Bekim
    o_O

9. Bekim Blue Belt

Bekim
    No, he will not, someone with good boxing and a pressure fighter with good feints to draw out his counters, mix in a good wrestling background........look at the range that Thompson had over Woodley in their fight but he still connected with Thompsons jaw.

When Thompson is not allowed space and time to get things going he suffers.

10. freaky Freakiest Poster Belt

freaky
    IDK man. I train MT and my coach says the same thing about side on stance. How prone they are to leg kicks. It pisses me off that his opponents attempt so little leg kicks. Also credit to Thompson himself. He has great reactions. He is able to pull back in time and counter. Every move has a counter. It's great if you can land the kick, but you will pay dearly if you miss.

The same can be said about his side/front push kick. In theory, the MT stance is better because you can check kicks and destroy TKD/karate lead leg. But in practice, it depends on the practitioner. That's why Wonderboy is so wonderful. I love watching him fight but at the same time, it pisses me off when his opponents don't punish that lead leg.

As for TS, show us gifs of his opponents attempting to punish his lead leg. I haven't seen many. The most memorable one was when Woodley tripped Wonderboy cuz his kick was so powerful and I think he got him with his instep.

11. Vil7 Red Belt

Vil7
    He had like an acl or knee injury from what was declared an illegal attack. It was early in the fight so it is difficult to tell how it would have went.

fortheo and Jimmy H like this.
  12. Was Exiled Brown Belt

Was Exiled

Literally everyone he's beaten since Clements has been a striker besides maybe Hendricks

13. Universal Kombat Blue Belt

Universal Kombat
    Well T.S., one thing I've noticed about stand up over my years, is that you should switch shit up all the time. When I fight, I go from side stance, to a regular boxing stance, thai stance, and even mess around with Kung Fu stances. I also switch from Orthodox/Southpaw at will. I don't believe in stances in the traditional sense that one stance is better than all, but I do believe they server their certain purposes. To me, stances are like strikes, be fluid in them like you would all your strikes. Easier said than done, but I started this way early so for me, it's no big deal.

Fire of Youth likes this.
  14. Universal Kombat Blue Belt

Universal Kombat
    Shouldn't piss you off, the majority of those guys are grapplers, that's like me being pissed of at a striker for not attempting judo throws on their opponents when the opportunity presents itself. It seems easy when watching, perhaps maybe even easy because you can do it, but the guy you're watching fight might not have that particular skill, and instead has gotten on by perfecting others.

15. Jimmy H Purple Belt

Jimmy H
    what style of kung fu stances?

16. Universal Kombat Blue Belt

Universal Kombat
    Nothing too crazy either.

17. Jimmy H Purple Belt

Jimmy H
    oh I guess sanda is kung fu. I was thinking you'd do some choy le fut or baga type shit.

18. Jimmy H Purple Belt

Jimmy H
    leg kicking a guy with a great lead leg side kick isnt that easy. ask samart payakroon.

19. Universal Kombat Blue Belt

Universal Kombat
    I will if I get too comfortable, I'll start imitating Ba Gua stances, they're not done so much as to taunt, but to losen me up, and they can confuse the hell out of someone. Try it if you haven't. You'll see how it can definitely throw people off, especially those fighters who get into rythms or are good at getting a feel for yours

Jimmy H likes this.
  20. Universal Kombat Blue Belt

Universal Kombat
    Absolutely, I've always found it harder to kick a Sanda guy in their lead leg, than side kicking thai guy right in the stomach. There's many ways to skin a cat, but kicking a side stance/side kicker in the leg isn't it.

Jimmy H likes this.