PC Gaming Requirements

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by fractal, Sep 13, 2017.

1. fractal 93andbeyond.com

fractal
    I just got a new PC for work and wanted to check out some games. But for example, for FIFA 17, my config seems a bit below the recommended or min. requirements. Will I still be able to run it?

My video card, although it has higher specs than the min. required, still fails.

This is the comparison:

[​IMG] VIDEO CARD
    Minimum: NVIDIA GTX 460 or AMD Radeon R7 260
    You Have: Quadro M1000M
    Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
    Required You Have
    [​IMG] Pixel Shader version 5.0 5.1
    [​IMG] vertex shader version 5.0 5.1
    [​IMG] Dedicated Video RAM 1024 MB 2.0 GB
    UPGRADE SUGGESTED
    [​IMG]
    Your graphic's driver is:
    over 4 months out-of date
    Click here for the latest drivers

[​IMG] CPU
    Minimum: Intel Core i3-2100 @ 3.1GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.4 GHz
    You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz

[​IMG] Click here for the latest CPU drivers.
    [​IMG] CPU SPEED
    Minimum: Info
    You Have: 2.7 GHz

[​IMG] RAM
    Minimum: 8 GB
    You Have: 64 GB

[​IMG] OS
    Minimum: Windows 7/8.1/10 - 64-Bit
    You Have: Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit

[​IMG] Click here for the latest Windows drivers.
    [​IMG] FREE DISK SPACE
    Minimum: 50 GB
    You Have: 368.7 GB

2. Gref Scumdog

Gref
    Your GPU, in addition to being a mobile card, is primarily used for productivity and not gaming. That's not to say you can't game on it but you may get inaccurate info when it comes to what you can really run.

TLDR: Should be fine if the min is a GTX460.

loyalyolayal likes this.
  3. fractal 93andbeyond.com

fractal
    What do you mean by inaccurate info? With regards to the video quality and resolution etc?

4. milliniar Who needs a belt?

milliniar
    I was able to play Witcher 3, with an old and card don't remember which one before I got my gtx 980, and an old quad core i7

5. Gref Scumdog

Gref
    I meant in regards to the stuff you copy pasted in the OP. Whatever that is, probably suggested you need a better GPU because the one you have isn't really common so it just assumes it's a piece.

6. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    There isn't much you can do. Here's how you card stacks up via UserBenchmark:
    vs. AMD R7 260X
    vs. NVIDIA GTX 460

You can see where it measures up against the top of the whole field (past and present) here:
    https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html
    It's listed as the "Quadro M1000M", and scores a 2,097. This benchmark, btw, and any benchmark, is going to be more favorable to production cards. They'll do much better in benchmarks than in games relative to how gaming video cards score comparatively between benchmarks & games.

Below you can see the most popular gamer-class video cards currently in use by the Steam gaming community:
    http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/
    The most popular current gamer card among Steam users, as you can see, is the NVIDIA GTX 1060. That card has two versions: 3GB and 6GB. Either version scores ~8,700 on the Passmark score above.

Bottom line: that is not a viable gaming card for demanding AA & AAA current game releases like FIFA 17. Hell, you only have 1GB of VRAM. You're not even close to meeting the minimum specs required, and gaming on the minimum specs for any game already sucks. You really want to meet the "Recommended Specifications" as your minimum for a PC game.

You have plenty of CPU power, but your GPU isn't designed for gaming, and it's not even a strong production card.

GearSolidMetal likes this.
  7. RoryFan Wears Hats

RoryFan
    You can still play some cool stuff with that card. Kerbal, GTA San Andreas, The binding of Isaac & maybe Terraria.

8. fractal 93andbeyond.com

fractal
    Thanks for the info. Those cards blow my card out of the water. That makes sense though since the PC is meant for 'work' lol, to run multiple VMs and automation etc. not for me to play games on.

You said I have 1GB of VRAM. Don't I have 2GB? Or am I reading it wrong?

9. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    Well, it's weird because it says "Dedicated Video RAM 1024MB 2.0GB". I'm not familiar with reading whatever service you used to upload your specs.

Normally when I see stuff like that I read it as 1GB of dedicated VRAM, and the rest as part of system RAM that likely gets "borrowed" by the video card (aka the "total available" video memory). But this shared "video RAM" is not the same as actual GDDR5 VRAM. Our system DDR4 RAM that gets borrowed is much, much slower.

I did reference Notebookcheck:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Quadro-M1000M.151582.0.html
    The Quadro M1000M can come with up to 4GB, but it is most typical for it to have 2GB of VRAM, so you're probably right. Still, 1GB is possible with that card.

Here's an easy guide that should let you confirm for yourself. The different version of WIndows have slightly different ways to find this:
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001307.htm

10. fractal 93andbeyond.com

fractal
    Oh ok. That just means the min req is 1024MB and I have 2GB on my system. It's cleared on the website itself, but hard to understand after I c/ped it here. Thanks for the input.

11. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    Ah, gotcha. That means you'll meet the minimum required VRAM for all but the most demanding modern games, but that isn't your issue. The issue is the speed of your video card, not the dearth of quickly accessed stored information.

RAM & VRAM totals are simply about meeting the baseline required by the game. So long as you meet that minimum, then having more doesn't benefit you at all.

12. fractal 93andbeyond.com

fractal
    So what does that mean in terms of game performance. Would I still be able to play it but with reduced graphics? Or is it a case by case basis depending on the game.

I'm probably gonna try it out anyway, but just wanted to understand what impact not having a gaming video card would have. Thanks.

13. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    Your GPU doesn't come close to meeting the minimum specifications due to the awful GPU speed. The VRAM is just part of the checklist.

You can always give it a shot, but don't expect playable viability. 720p is the bottom resolution allowed, and even on the lowest graphical settings your card will take a shit. I strongly advise against purchasing the game if you're praying on that roll the dice on that. Not gonna happen.

Waste of money.

14. fractal 93andbeyond.com

fractal
    Ah I see. I was going to torrent it, but it seems like even that would a waste of time. Maybe I'll just find some old game to play then lol.

15. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    Armed with an i7 processor a lot of the free-to-play games out there will be favorable to you since they cater to systems without discrete graphics. Also many of the MMO's tend to lean on the CPU more than the GPU, especially when you're in a heavily trafficked instance by other players. I direct you here for reference:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/lowendgaming/

16. fractal 93andbeyond.com

fractal
    If I wanted to increase my GPU for my laptop, is getting a new video card the only way to do it. I'm not sure if installing a Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 on HP zBook is even possible.

17. loyalyolayal Double Yellow Card

loyalyolayal
    Only mxm laptops. I'm actually on the fence of buying a gpu for my laptop or just build a desktop from scratch.

18. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    Yeah, you can't upgrade the GPU in almost any laptops. This is why desktops remain the king of PC hardware.

A few years ago it looked like external GPU boxes (aka "eGPU") were going to catch on and become an easy way to get more gaming potential out of your laptop at home (or wherever you took it although they are not portable-friendly like laptops). It doesn't look like they have caught on outside a gaming niche market. Alienware & Razer remain among the only companies that offers the service, and they restrict these external GPUs to their own laptops. I believe @Tachy had one of these, so he should be able to tell you more. The problem for the general market has been that most laptops don't have a port with super-high bandwidth to ferry the data back and forth between the eGPU and the rest of the computer (ex. Thunderbolt 3 would be the most desirable).
    2017 Guide: The Best External Graphics Card Boxes (eGPUs)

19. fractal 93andbeyond.com

fractal
    You know a lot about this. Guessing you work in the industry. I downloaded FIFA 15 and it seems to work well so far. Just gotta get a controller coz using the keyboard/mouse sucks

20. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    Nice solution. I'm a bit surprised your rig is able to handle even that on the lowest settings, TBH.