Pauly Shore talks about the decline of his movie career

That dude got a free ride on the reputation of his mother. He was never funny. His "best" movies are really dumb campy comedies that seem like extended skits that got left out of SNL lineups.

He was super one-note, even for a dude who never deserved a shot at all.

Fuck 'im.

Ah... Right, his mom owned some famous comedy venue, no? Shore is a loser. The kind of guy who frankly doesn't deserve any praise for his success. He came across as brain damaged or autistic and his movies were such garbage I didn't even enjoy them when I was 12 (with the exception of Encino Man, in which he was basically a side character).

He and his ilk basically pander to the low brow and intellectually stunted of America.

...they're also about a thousand times superior comedians to him. Truly shameful to even compare them.

True but if Murray was still playing his classic 80's smartass persona he would not have maintained the career he has, as I said besides comedic ability he was oviously lacking in the potential for more serious roles, you could argue I spose the two being naturally linked.

True but if Murray was still playing his classic 80's smartass persona he would not have maintained the career he has, as I said besides comedic ability he was oviously lacking in the potential for more serious roles, you could argue I spose the two being naturally linked.

When did Murray stop playing smart asses? His sarcasm has only ripened with age and become more marvelously subtle.

he is the Andy Dick of comedy

Am I the only person that really wanted to see Pauly Shore do a movie with Bobcat Goldthwait 25 years ago?

Well that's just mean-spirited.

LOL, sorry. Watch the one in post #65 if you think that's mean spirited.

As far as Pauli goes. He got pigeonholed into a specific, and very strange character type, the Weasel. That sort of thing just doesn't have the legs for a long career.

Gosh darn what happened to his face?

Well he was making movies going back to late 80's so its been going on 30 years man. 30 years tends to do that to a face sometimes.

Yea I don't think he's an a-hole but you can tell he's kind of not even sure narcissistic is the right word. There's just something kind of weird about how he talks about himself. Basically he's not humble at all like he has no humility.

With the way he was raised though can't really blame him. I do enjoy his interviews.
I remember he had a reality show a few years back where he was running a nightclub or comedy club or something (must have been before he started hitting the sauce really hard) and I remember thinking how smug he seemed, talking about how much of a big shot he was.

Meh, maybe I just don't like his face.

I remember he had a reality show a few years back where he was running a nightclub or comedy club or something (must have been before he started hitting the sauce really hard) and I remember thinking how smug he seemed, talking about how much of a big shot he was.

Meh, maybe I just don't like his face.

Yea that's not surprising at all he seems to do that a lot seems to love talking about himself.

If you grew up watching Pauly Shore on MTV and in films like Son in Law and Encino Man, this is pretty interesting. And a little bit depressing.

Watching the whole thing, didn't know Pauly was on JRE. Pretty entertaining.

Pauly Shore is one of those guys that I sorta grew up on, being born in 1987. Encino Man, Son in Law, In the Army Now, and Bio-Dome were all popular when I was a kid, and he was a unique character. It wasn't until I got older that I realized he was a one-note character, but I'll still watch Encino Man if it's on TV.

It's interesting to hear him talk about his mom and dad, and the history of the Comedy store. He's sorta self deprecating, like he when he talked about how he only plays clubs and does small stuff. He was asking Rogan how it feels to play the big shows, almost looking up to him.

I know that he was an annoying character to a lot of people, and that he really only got the connections to be in movies because of his mom. But nobody can take away the fact that Encino Man, Son in Law and In the Army Now, movies he mostly carried, had a combined $105.9 million at the box office (~$177 million today). That's not so bad for someone who really had no business being there to begin with.

I don't hate Pauly, but it just seems weird that he's not all chill about accepting that he isn't a teenager in his 20's anymore, I mean his character would have just accepted it as the miracle it was for him and been glad he ever got that far.

Objectively even he must know it's not like his "talent" was so mindblowing or original. It was a lot of luck and fortunate timing. If he had been born 10 years earlier or later it wouldn't have worked for him.

He wants recognition but his comedy wasn't timeless or game-changing. If you want recognition you have to pioneer an actual process that people use later or at least look back on with nostalgia.

He's got enough money to do what other actors do once their popularity fades. He can reinvent himself or invest in new art or technology. Just sitting there sulking isn't going to hype anyone up- the early mid 90's ain't coming back.

If he can't enjoy his riches passively he should dust himself off and get a hobby like David Lee Roth

Well he was making movies going back to late 80's so its been going on 30 years man. 30 years tends to do that to a face sometimes.

Yeah but Rogan is the same age as Pauly. o_O

Yeah but Rogan is the same age as Pauly. o_O

Well it could be worse. Mickey Rourke went from leading man good looking to "not of this race."

th
th

Is Rogan's face in any better shape? What's going on here

Rogan is 50 years old. Not everyone is still looking great at 50.

What gets me is he went from this guy....
th

To this guy...
th

Back