Paul vs John

Discussion in 'Music Discussion (BAM'S Bieberverse)' started by Luger, Dec 28, 2016.

?

Which One?

1. John

58.8%
  2. Paul

41.2%
  1. Luger Rabbi of Platinum Nation

Luger
    I'm totally for John.
    He had the gloomy parts.
    Just look at We can work it out

Paul all happy.
    He even kind of ruined A Day The Life

Amazing meaningful song and he went with fooking combing his hair

He did Helter Skelter, though. That was amazing.

Can we get a poll?

Paul also did well with this song

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Shamrocker and Jackonfire like this.
  2. Piece of Sheet ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Piece of Sheet
    Fav songs are ticket to ride and we can work it out. Both primarily done by John. I prefers Pauls voice though.

Luger likes this.
  3. Luger Rabbi of Platinum Nation

Luger
    Paul had the clean vocals.
    John wrote all the good melodies, though

ookii likes this.
  4. Piece of Sheet ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Piece of Sheet
    Paul's songs were silly love songs for the most part. Not to say they weren't good but John was the more creative writer.

Gorack and Luger like this.
  5. Luger Rabbi of Platinum Nation

Luger
    Absolutely.
    Paul had his moments.
    Especially on the white album.
    Blackbird

Really good.
    Also Helter Skelter

Shamrocker likes this.
  6. mbinder This shark, swallow you whole.

mbinder
    It's almost impossible for me to answer because they are very different. Paul's songs often were stories about people and places and generally were more upbeat. They also usually had better melodies with more intervals and pitch changes. John usually wrote melodies that were almost monotonous, and his best lyrics were witty and very personal, dealing with real things like drugs, sex and politics.

I bet if I were to list my ten favorite Beatles songs I'd end up with 4 from each and then a few that were actually co-written by both of them.

Possum Jenkins, Shamrocker and Luger like this.
  7. Jackonfire Senior Moderator

Jackonfire
    I prefer John's Beatles stuff as well as his solo stuff to Pauls.

But thats not to say I don't like Paul.

8. Luger Rabbi of Platinum Nation

Luger
    John's solo career had its moments.
    For the most part, it was not too great

Jackonfire likes this.
  9. Chad The Limey Guyball world champion belt

Chad The Limey
    No love for George's songs? Gotta love "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and "Something"

The Diplomat and Jackonfire like this.
  10. LEWIS540 .

LEWIS540
    I remember reading once that after a drug fuelled retreat they went on for inspiration the first songs they wrote afterwards were Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (Paul) and Happiness is a Warm Gun (John).

Always thought that was telling.

11. LEWIS540 .

LEWIS540

12. Jackonfire Senior Moderator

Jackonfire
    Going to have to disagree there. Plastic Ono Band album is solid beginning to end

And his 1975 Rock N Roll album is a great tribute to the songs that got him into music in the first place

Then there are the singles like Jealous Guy, Woman, Watching the Wheels, Instant Karma, etc....

Possum Jenkins likes this.
  13. Luger Rabbi of Platinum Nation

Luger
    Mother was pretty cool.
    Working Class Hero and so on. Pretty solid album

Jackonfire likes this.
  14. Sanshou Kid Brown Belt

Sanshou Kid
    George is and always will be my favourite. Hell, he is the reason I started playing guitar in the first place.

Chad The Limey and Jackonfire like this.
  15. squeezewax Purple Belt

squeezewax
    I used to always say John but no longer do. I know it's not cool to prefer Paul though.
    He is the more talented by far, perhaps the greatest rock musician of all time. Apart from probably around 3 of 4 songs of his solo stuff i don't have anything else from that period, so i'm not an obsessed fan.
    Of course i do have Beatle music and i love the songs of both of them when they were in the band. John used to try and ridicule Paul and say his music is for grannies, however if you look at his catalogue you'll see he is great at so many styles.
    Also we would not of gotten Abbey Road and Let It Be without Paul insisting that they record those lps as the other weren't keen at all and he talked them into it.

John was jealous of Paul, Don't get me wrong i love a lot of his solo work, some real classic among it. But as a pure musician Paul is miles ahead. I suppose it depends how you are judging them, whats the criteria?
    Also John didn't seem that nice of a person at times when it came to females. Nothing to do with the music of course, but it has influenced my opinion of him.
    I still recall the exact moment news of his death hit the airways, i was very sad and cried quite a bit, so i did like him.
    Still everyone has faults don't they?[except me of course.]

Possum Jenkins likes this.
  16. Possum Jenkins Cultural Marxism Belt

Possum Jenkins
    Agreed 100% (ok, maybe 90%)

Though I actually like John's style better, Paul was a better musician, a better singer, AND more important to the Beatles. If it was up to John, the Beatles would have folded after Epstein died.

Paul was also the one that came up with the idea behind Sgt Pepper. He pretty much squeezed the last 4-5 albums out of the group. Of course these are their best.

John was funkier and darker. But Paul's melody-making in ballads is just untouchable. Hey Jude, Yesterday, Let it Be, And I Love Her, Golden Slumbers, For No One, Martha My Dear, etc.

17. lukeuidswords Green Belt

lukeuidswords
    Paul's interlude makes A Day in the Life

18. The Diplomat Silver Belt

The Diplomat
    Paul was the better musician, was a bit more professional, and had more of a knack for the business side of things. When someone asked John if Ringo was the best drummer alive, he said "Ringo isn't even the best drummer in the Beatles", as Paul was a very capable drummer. Paul was so good that when they needed a bassist, he switched from guitar to bass and ended up writing amazing bass lines (like Rain, wonderful stuff) and being famous for that, even though he was primarily a guitarist. He wrote some great melodies, too. Some of the best love songs came from Paul. John had a problem remembering lyrics and chords in the beginning, and was jealous that Paul was so good (they were only 15/16 when they met.) but Paul taught John some stuff.

John was more of a revolutionary; he wrote more open ended lyrics, and wasn't as much of a cliche. He sort of opened the door for the "introspective, contradictory" rock star, one minute being a lazy asshole, the next being incredibly kind hearted and hard working. He had the better sense of humor between the two, and would bring that "Beatle wit" that made them so loveable in interviews. He had a much more distinctive voice, and wrote songs that were way ahead of their time, like Tomorrow Never Knows, Across the Universe, Yer Blues, etc. He was known as the druggie of the band, but he had only taken LSD a few times - it was Paul who became a life long stoner, and kept taking LSD for years after the rest of the band quit. John did have a problem with heroin for a bit, but quit. I think John was the prototypical rocker who paved the way for grunge, and did things long before guys like Cobain were born.

Paul obviously had the longer career, but John is still considered one of the biggest rock and roll icons and legends to this day, with a fraction of the career that Paul had.

I'll go with John on this one, but it's still close - they both brought their own style to the band, and both would have been nothing without the other. The Lennon/McCartney brand is still the greatest songwriting partnership of all time, IMO. Overall, the Beatles were a monster, though - they were so good, that even George started writing number 1 hits and became an amazing songwriter in his own right. All of the talent of Lennon/McCartney rubbed off on him over those years. Both wrote songs for other bands - David Bowie's first #1 hit (Fame) was co-written by John Lennon, as well as "Whatever Gets you Thru the Night" being a major hit for Elton John.

Possum Jenkins and Jackonfire like this.
  19. Leonard Haid Minimalist Living the Illusory Dream

Leonard Haid
  20. Possum Jenkins Cultural Marxism Belt

Possum Jenkins
    True, though when it comes to cutting-edge, nothing compares to Tomorrow Never Knows.

I still can't get over how anyone could have thought of that in 1966. They were about 3 decades ahead of their time.

Leonard Haid likes this.