patience for standup fighting

shs101

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
For counter strikers like myself, its hard to maintain patience when things arent going you way, and since you dont like to be aggresive theres not much you can do. Even in sparring you need alot of discipline to stay on your game. Anyone have this problem, any drills or anything i should note on being more patient?

Calming exercise's, would be the best bet. Controlled breathing, meditation, hell maybe even Tai Chi would work.

well we'll find out the answer when Mayweather vs. Marquez happens (it's been postponed)

experience is the only way. MMA is millions of choices made in fractions of a second. the more you do it the more your brain will do what works.

3 post and really didnt get anything out em. Meditation sounds good. But noyone has any other anwsers?

If you have so much trouble being patient maybe you just arent a counter fighter. Counter fighters also just dont counter

If you have so much trouble being patient maybe you just arent a counter fighter. Counter fighters also just dont counter
Its not that i have really that much "trouble" being patient, its just im wondering if theres anything i should note or any drills for helping me.

It is very possilbe to be an aggressive counter fighter, part of counter fighting is getting the opponent to react to you, then countering, this is considered leading a guy into your technique.

Counter fighters need their space. If a pressure fighter can get in and hammer on the body with hooks, knees, uppercuts, the counter fighter is finished. Maintaining space is number one. Use your front kicks and side kicks, and your jab. Guys who rush in usually are punching so their bodies are exposed, land a good push kick with the back leg, or a side kick with the front leg, and get him backing up.

If you sit there waiting for the guy to do something and then counter, and he's content to just sit there too, you have to move in on him and get out before he reacts, then move in on him with your counter. try using more feints, attacking from different angles.

If the guy wants to sit there, you're either

1) too advanced for him or he's afraid, in which case, you need to find a better or more aggressive sparring partner, or
2) not using enough feints and footwork to get the guy to react to you, causing him to open up, and providing you with the opportunity to nail him.

As for drills, practice moving in quickly to land your stuff and exiting out in a different direction. pracetice moving forward, and then diagonally out. practice moving back then suddenly moving forward and then diagonally out again. move forward stop, back up real quick and moving forward again when the guy opens up.

YouTube - Taekwondo Paddle Drill

YouTube - Taekwondo Drills Training

This is a good example, move in with something, back up, and move in again, this can be done with punches too

This one of Lyoto is good, the part where is dashing in and out between the cones when he is talking about plyometrics.

YouTube - Lyoto Machida Training For UFC 98 Video by BadBoy planetamma com br visit!

Here's a good example of a jab drill, the pad holder keeps walking in while the other person uses the jabs to stop aggressive movement, and when the holder gets too close, she circles and gets more space, clinching when they need to.

YouTube - JAB DRILL

Couldn't find a better thread, but I wanted to share a good example (it's a MMA fight) in terms of patience in fights. I didn't know the fighters beforehand, but I knew from the beginning who was going to win, just looking at both men's body language and standup ability.

Couldn't find a better thread, but I wanted to share a good example (it's a MMA fight) in terms of patience in fights. I didn't know the fighters beforehand, but I knew from the beginning who was going to win, just looking at both men's body language and standup ability.

You necro'd a thread so you could share a video? Why not just make a new thread?

Necro'd? I need an update on internet language.

As in necrophiliac from my understanding. People who get it on with dead bodies. He's calling you this.

You necro'd a thread so you could share a video? Why not just make a new thread?

I don't see why it's an issue. People are always telling you to use the search function, and Clash posted a video which pertains to the thread. Old or not.

As in necrophiliac from my understanding. People who get it on with dead bodies. He's calling you this.

rigor mortis makes me hard.

Being a counter-fighter myself, I can definitely understand the impatience. I don't like to throw first. If my opponent doesn't throw first then we just end up moving around and I feel a pressure to get on with it. Then I end up leading with something really telegraphed and then kick myself afterwards. Its my own failing; I need more patience. I try to force their reaction so I can counter off it in two ways:
1) I constantly change angles just outside of range whilst threatening to enter range. They have to constantly adjust to me and hopefully I can get them in a bad position to actually lead something off.
2) I work on putting pressure on them. I stalk them until they have to throw to keep me off them. If I can get in close then I am working my way around them with different heights and angles, nudging their balance hoping that some hole opens up that I can hit.

That's definitely a good example of patience, but that guy is a pressure fight, not a counter fighter.

He throws punches assertively to get respect and applies pressure with footwork to keep the guy defensive. So I would say this is good patience while pressuring.

what I'd like to work on is converting from a tentative counter-fighter into an aggressive fighter :D

anyone think of someone that makes that switch in their career. i can think of ppl going from aggressive -> counterfighter

Last edited:
rigor mortis makes me hard.

Being a counter-fighter myself, I can definitely understand the impatience. I don't like to throw first. If my opponent doesn't throw first then we just end up moving around and I feel a pressure to get on with it. Then I end up leading with something really telegraphed and then kick myself afterwards. Its my own failing; I need more patience. I try to force their reaction so I can counter off it in two ways:
1) I constantly change angles just outside of range whilst threatening to enter range. They have to constantly adjust to me and hopefully I can get them in a bad position to actually lead something off.
2) I work on putting pressure on them. I stalk them until they have to throw to keep me off them. If I can get in close then I am working my way around them with different heights and angles, nudging their balance hoping that some hole opens up that I can hit.

This is me too. I hate that.

Necromancy- the resurrection of the dead.

On topic: I'm too patient for some western judges. One judge from a fight that i had a while ago who was from a western kickboxing and MMA background said to a trainer that I was just standing there, not doing anything. The trainer, from a Thai background, said they could see I was waiting and looking for opportunities to counter attack. Things look different depending on what you are used to seeing or looking for.

^ I wouldn't put patience and inactivity in the same category. Inactivity is usually related to lack of conditioning or lack of knowledge/ability.

^ I wouldn't put patience and inactivity in the same category. Inactivity is usually related to lack of conditioning or lack of knowledge/ability.

Of course. But, to some people it looks same.

Back