Pathfinder: Kingmaker (crpg in style of Baldur's Gate)

Pillars of eternity feels like 100 times more complicated than DnD. Mostly in the itemization and spell powers.

It's really not. There are a lot more choices and options, I wouldn't call that the same thing as complicated. The game tells you exactly what your stats do, what's recommended for your class, and what your powers do. You can go in as a casual and the game is still playable without min/maxing and being an expert. In Baldur's Gate it's very easy to fuck your character up and you have a 90% chance of dying in the first few areas if you don't pick a warrior class.

Worst thing about modern games of this type is that the early beta players totally fuck up the game balance.

Nowadays you have to fucking read page upon page of gibberish on the net about character builds before you play a game because not choosing “Double Ass Grab” at level 3 and “Your sister” at level 5 combined with “Holy Shit” at level 8 and “Double Moccha” at level 20 will fuck up your paladin1/pimp4/pirate4/ninja5/barista2 build.

This also applies to Divinity and Pillar of Eternity/Tyranny.

You don't have to do any of that. It's optional.

Pillars of Eternity will kill you in your first combat encounter if you don’t have some kind of min/max monster.

Pathfinder will do that about five hours in.

All these games are ruined by fucker OCD beta testers who build these insane illogical rogue/barbarian/wizard/ranger fuckers and then cruise through the games and the designers ramp up the difficulty levels and nerf shit.

I played it a fair bit but it really needs some quality of life improvements (in addition to some rebalancing which has been mentioned plenty already). I've got a lot of table top RPG experience so the system is mostly familiar to me but holy fuck if you don't you are going to get wrecked. It's so opaque and poorly explained I could not recommend this game to anyone who hasn't played the PnP game.

I eventually just got sick of the kingdom management which I didn't enjoy at all, while the constant resting and travel felt needlessly time consuming.

Was going to buy this but my nephew told me about it...made me not want to.

Apparently the kingdom portion of the game is completely random event driven. He had his built up but was hit by 4 plague events in a row that was impossible to stop in time before destroying his kingdom. Also the events seem to pop up constantly making being away from your city for more than a short time near impossible making the game feel more like a weak kingdom sim. Thats some seriously horrible design flaws.
Yeah it is kind of garbage. I am just modding it and cheating through it now. I don't really know why they even have it in the game it's kind of stupid

Was going to buy this but my nephew told me about it...made me not want to.

Apparently the kingdom portion of the game is completely random event driven. He had his built up but was hit by 4 plague events in a row that was impossible to stop in time before destroying his kingdom. Also the events seem to pop up constantly making being away from your city for more than a short time near impossible making the game feel more like a weak kingdom sim. Thats some seriously horrible design flaws.

I think those plague events happen if you've left main threat of the chapter unattended for a long time. Normal problems don't tend to have so drastic effects.

In the current version of the game, you have had until start of next month to assign someone to deal with event. You can wait to assign someone to it day before it expires.

In the upcoming patch, events you get later in the month have more time before they expire.

Draft of patch notes:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/1751232561618125823/

I think those plague events happen if you've left main threat of the chapter unattended for a long time. Normal problems don't tend to have so drastic effects.

In the current version of the game, you have had until start of next month to assign someone to deal with event. You can wait to assign someone to it day before it expires.

In the upcoming patch, events you get later in the month have more time before they expire.

Draft of patch notes:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/1751232561618125823/

From what he told me, you can only assign 1 of 2 different people to those events, they take 21 days each to "complete" and since he got 4 of them back to back to back to back, it was impossible to stop all 4 of them.

From what he told me, you can only assign 1 of 2 different people to those events, they take 21 days each to "complete" and since he got 4 of them back to back to back to back, it was impossible to stop all 4 of them.
Without knowing specifics, I can't really say if that is supposed to happen at some stage of the game in certain circumstances. In general, you can have up to 10 advisors and when a problem appears, it shows who you can assign to deal with it. You usually have 2 to choose from, but I have had 3 sometimes to choose from.

The patch is supposed to come out on friday I think so we shall see what they have come up with.

I'll be picking this one up but I'm gonna wait til a few patches come out. The devs already said they are checking the difficulty and are going to give the party some AOE stuff to handle the spiders. I'm pretty sure swarms in pathfinder PnP are immune to most things except fire AOE type damage.

I'm a huge fan of Chris Avellone, he rarely disappoints.
Me too. I'm super pumped about Dying light 2, as he's at the writing helm. He doesn't get to put his talents into open worlds enough, or games with great gameplay. I loved Dying Light, it was so fun to play, but the story was lacking. What a great marriage bringing his writing skills into their dev team.

I'm going to wait a bit longer on this one too, but it's def on the radar!

Pathfinder: Kingmaker Enhanced Edition and Beneath the Stolen Lands DLC arriving June 6

“Pathfinder: Kingmaker – Enhanced Edition” Key Features

Free Upgrade for all existing players
Numerous gameplay-enriching content additions and dozens of quality-of-life features
New abilities and ways to build your character
A Brand-new class: Slayer
New items and weaponry
Improved balance, especially in the beginning and last two chapters of the game
Enhanced kingdom management system, both in terms of balance as well as usability and player comfort
Increased variety of random encounters on the global map
Thousands of fixes and improvements made since the game’s initial release

“Beneath The Stolen Lands” Key Features

Enter a massive dungeon with a party made from scratch. Begin your adventure to the Tenebrous Depths with a party of newly created characters. Start the game from the main menu and experience the descent into an endless rogue-like dungeon
Explore the near-infinite possibilities of building a Pathfinder character. Try out different builds to perfect your tactics at your leisure. Create a band of adventurers able to overcome any danger!
Defeat is but a new beginning! Dying in an encounter enables additional benefits for your next playthrough
Unlock new items to buy across multiple playthroughs. The number of item slots traders have depends on how far you have been able to descend during all of your previous forays combined
Enter the dungeon as your main character, alternatively you can wait for an invitation from a mysterious protector of Golarion as you play through the Main Story. The pre-set version of the dungeon is included into the main campaign, allowing you to use your character and companions to conquer the Tenebrous Depths

Back