Pathfinder: Kingmaker (crpg in style of Baldur's Gate)

Gandzooka

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This was just released:

https://owlcatgames.com/

Chris Avellone is the narrative designer ( he worked on pretty much all the highly esteemed old school games Planescape: Torment, Fallout 2, the Icewind Dale series etc.)
It is based on the D&D 3.5 rules that they have tweaked further.

It seems to be mix of standard crpg adventures mixed with managing your own kingdom.

I'm about 1 hour in and looks fine so far. Well, actually 2 hours, I had to brush up on the rules when creating my character. Though there seems to be option to choose your class and have pre-determined build for it that levels up automatically.

Available on Steam and GOG

I played dnd 3.0 and 3.5 way back in the day. It’s a great ruleset so I’ll definitely be getting this probably this weekend. Is it finished or is this early access

I played dnd 3.0 and 3.5 way back in the day. It’s a great ruleset so I’ll definitely be getting this probably this weekend. Is it finished or is this early access
It is finished. Though people are reporting some issues regarding difficulty and some bugs.

I've noticed only some tooltip / text bugs myself thusfar.

Though I can confirm that difficulty thing, in what is basically the first optional side quest, there is a "spider swarm" enemy that is hard to hit with normal weapons, spells or bombs are the way to deal with them.

It is finished. Though people are reporting some issues regarding difficulty and some bugs.

Though I can confirm that difficulty thing, in what is basically the first optional side quest, there is a "spider swarm" enemy that is hard to hit with normal weapons, spells or bombs are the way to deal with them.
I was figuring out how to kill the spider swarm too, gave up and loaded a previous save to ditch the zone. I tried the spells too but it wasn't doing any damage at all

I'll be picking this one up but I'm gonna wait til a few patches come out. The devs already said they are checking the difficulty and are going to give the party some AOE stuff to handle the spiders. I'm pretty sure swarms in pathfinder PnP are immune to most things except fire AOE type damage.

I'm a huge fan of Chris Avellone, he rarely disappoints.

I'll be picking this one up but I'm gonna wait til a few patches come out. The devs already said they are checking the difficulty and are going to give the party some AOE stuff to handle the spiders. I'm pretty sure swarms in pathfinder PnP are immune to most things except fire AOE type damage.

I'm a huge fan of Chris Avellone, he rarely disappoints.
I guess Im screwed then since my party consist of 3 fighter types, 1 cleric and one bard because of the choices I made during the course of the game. None of them have AOE spells so I will have to find at least half dozen bombs, flask and scrolls that do AOE damage

I guess Im screwed then since my party consist of 3 fighter types, 1 cleric and one bard because of the choices I made during the course of the game. None of them have AOE spells so I will have to find at least half dozen bombs, flask and scrolls that do AOE damage
Yep. The devs were saying that they will patch in a warning before going to that quest and put some fire flasks (or something of the like) in the party inventory to help out a bit.

I'm of the opinion that the DND ruleset was probably the worst thing about the Baldur's Gate series. DND setting and characters? Awesome. Having to read through an extensive rulebook just to play a video game? Not so much.

There is a reason modern RPGs like Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sins stayed away from that

I'm of the opinion that the DND ruleset was probably the worst thing about the Baldur's Gate series. DND setting and characters? Awesome. Having to read through an extensive rulebook just to play a video game? Not so much.

There is a reason modern RPGs like Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sins stayed away from that
I kind of like it, once you learn it you understand the basic game mechanics of all the games using it.

In Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sins I found it hard to create / level up a character since I had no idea how much a couple misplaced skills / attributes are going to affect your end game.

I do agree that the game should have in-game explanation of the rules it operates by, I had to refresh my memory by looking up d&d rules and checking some pathfinder site for character builds.

Then again, since there is that option to choose a pre-built character path where the game automatically levels up and assigns stats/skills you might be able to just focus on the game itself without bothering much about rules except when it comes to occasional skill checks.

First patch was released already fixing some issues.

Yeah, I too have the exact same types. I just left that quest alone and intend to come back later.

I created a paladin since I figured running your own kingdom is going to need some diplomacy checks (16 str, 16 con, 16 cha, uses two-handers), then I got Valerie, Amiri, Linzi and on the road I recruited
Harrim, who went with Tartuccio at the start. I tracked down Tartuccio to some place and got to make a diplomacy check to make Harrim join me.

In Pillars of Eternity and Divinity Original Sins I found it hard to create / level up a character since I had no idea how much a couple misplaced skills / attributes are going to affect your end game.

That's the thing, it doesn't much. It can make your game slightly harder, but fucking up in Baldur's Gate can make the game unplayable. How would a person know that Dexterity is vital for every character? Or that wisdom is useless for every class except Cleric/Druid?

Also the other games tell you what your stats do, Baldur's Gate doesn't. Without a deep knowledge of the ruleset you are walking around blind.

Well no. The reason pillars stayed away with it is probably purely licensing. they are similar in a lot of way. I feel you on the Baldur's Gate comparison. That used DND 2 rules set. DND 2 rules were pretty obtuse to say the least. They really hit their stride with 3 though. It's simplified so that it doesn't take that long to get a basic grasp of how it works. Really, it's less complicated than the Divinity games are now.

It’s fucking awesome. Better than games at twice the price.

But if you don’t want to micromanage - choose easiest option. This is a hardcore game.

Yeah, I too have the exact same types. I just left that quest alone and intend to come back later.

I created a paladin since I figured running your own kingdom is going to need some diplomacy checks (16 str, 16 con, 16 cha, uses two-handers), then I got Valerie, Amiri, Linzi and on the road I recruited
Harrim, who went with Tartuccio at the start. I tracked down Tartuccio to some place and got to make a diplomacy check to make Harrim join me.

One of the two will always join you.

Oh and your Paladin build is bad ;)

This swarm only appears once based on my 20 hours in. Which is fucking stupid.

I have a feeling it might, I have no previous experience of pathfinder setting itself or how the devs have tweaked it's rules for this game. However I googled a bit around and found this site that gave me some tips as to how to assign the initial ability scores.
http://rpgbot.net/pathfinder/characters/classes/paladin/

I have the game on normal so I think I should be fine.

Yeah but that guide is for the paper version.

Back