Path to the Black Belt

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by TheJewBear, Apr 26, 2018.

1. TheJewBear

TheJewBear Yellow Belt

Been getting to class and rolling a good amount. Cardio is on it's way back up.

Traveling to Houston and Tucson for the next few days. Tomorrow I'm going to drop in at Gracie Barra and hope they have a loaner gi.

The hotel has a gym with dumbbells so I will do my best to train legs in the AM too.

2. TheJewBear

TheJewBear Yellow Belt

Moved to San Diego. Trained at Victory MMA today. I'm in love with the place.

No-gi on a Sunday was packed! We went over only one technique and did about 20 minutes of rolling, with open mat after. I rolled with a brown or black belt, a guy whose belt I don't know, and a couple of white belts. Did well with everyone but my cardio is still sucking.

I saw Jocko walking off the mat when I first rolled up. He looks tough.

No class tomorrow due to Memorial Day, so I'll go to the gym for strength training and tabata or something. Maybe hit the beach or hike afterward. Then I start my new job and training at Victory on Tuesday!

3. TheJewBear

TheJewBear Yellow Belt

Update

Been training strength 3x/week with good gains. Going to Victory for BJJ 4-5 hours per week.

Yesterday there were more brown and black belts on the mat than blue or white belts. So that was an experience. Got tooled up by a couple of black and brown belts, but I have also been doing really well against brown and purple belts here. So far have only been tapped by one brown belt and a couple of black belts.

One thing I really love to see is a hobbyist black belt that is really, really fucking good. It gives me hope that even if I can't train full time like some young sponsored motherfucker, you can still get REALLY good at jiu-jitsu with a full time job and family. Guys that are murderers but train full-time or don't have jobs/families don't impress me. Of course they are amazing, that is no surprise. These older guys in their 40's and 50's that murder me on the mat are truly inspiring.