PATH OF EXILE Official Thread, v1: Serious Improvements Coming Out

A peek at Act 8

I have not played in awhile but I am up for starting a Sherdog clan when the update drops.

I have not played in awhile but I am up for starting a Sherdog clan when the update drops.

Assuming it drops on a Friday in the US, as it usually does, I'll be ready.

i gave up on poe after all the power creep nonsense (new tiers, ascendancies, 2 more ascendancy points, essences, channeling), so i'm curious as to how they plan on reigning it back in or if it's just too late, anyway. ie: if the game's gone so casual/clear speed meta that there's just no coming back to the challenging content it once had/is supposed to be.

since then, i've barely played. recently i've just been doing PVP on standard, of all things.

i'm sick of legacy everything, so hoping the ES nerfs and etc are retroactive.

i find this all hilarious, since a certain censorship-heavy mod is convinced i'm a poe fanboy because i think it's a substantially better game than a certain competitor. and apparently, even naming the competitor is grounds for warnings and deleted posts, because it's apparently off topic. which is especially hilarious, given that the actual creator of that franchise actually worked on poe and assisted (assists?) ggg with it.

the 6 new acts is groundbreaking, but obviously doesn't seem to affect endgame or all of the actual issues. i'm sure i'll check it out, but i'll probably not care too much.

ffs, they can't even add a t-value for scorching ray or fix "of winter" enchantments.

lolz. i can't even edit my posts, now. hahahahaha

was going to add a bit about the stupidly OP flasks (ie: vinktar's, dying sun), flaskfinder, and how the balance team clearly has no idea how to do their job.

Somewhat off-topic, but anyone know of any ARPGs on the horizon? Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem looks to have a lot of potential and seems to take a lot of influence from PoEs progression system.

My fingers are crossed that Lost Ark will ever:

A: come to the states

And

B: Not be the grind fest that are so synonymous asian games/mmos.

beats me. i mean, there are tons of them now, and seemingly some new one comes out about once a week... but i have no idea if any of them are worth playing.

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified ARPGs that actually look legit. THeres one that range from poor to pretty decent like Victor Vram and Van Helsing. But nothing that blows me away.

Theres the Warhammer 40k one, too. WH40K seems to always have huge potential, but somehow the IP never is never consistent when it comes to video games.

Somewhat off-topic, but anyone know of any ARPGs on the horizon? Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem looks to have a lot of potential and seems to take a lot of influence from PoEs progression system.

Wolcen is the only one on my radar that appears to be targeting a high level of complexity (or perceived complexity) and polish.

was going to add a bit about the stupidly OP flasks (ie: vinktar's, dying sun), flaskfinder, and how the balance team clearly has no idea how to do their job.

I think the problem with balancing things like that is due to the fact that only a small portion of the player base see it as a negative impact on their game. Vinktar's and Dying Sun are incredibly powerful, no argument. At the same time though they aren't exactly easy for the average player to obtain. Heavy emphasis on average player.

right, but that's what i touched on. their initial target market were 'hardcore gamers' and they clearly made a major shift to cater toward casuals. it's brought more players in and they love all the OP shit, but it's come at the expense of the game's integrity. and now they have an identity crisis.

the part that's dumb is that the changes were so obviously OP and going to lead to people just trivializing the new content (ie: when they added a couple types of monsters with some sort of synergy, as a means of increasing difficulty - we said it wouldn't matter when they're dead in .5 seconds, but they didn't listen. and now complain about the very thing we warned about. same with the life vs ES debacle, vaal pact, and etc).

there's no real way to balance around both groups, they basically need to pick one and stick with it. given that one can reach maps in ~5-10 hours, i think it's a dumb idea to cater toward casuals. but they should at least be consistent.

...although, i guess they could always just use the xbox version as EZ mode.

right, but that's what i touched on. their initial target market were 'hardcore gamers' and they clearly made a major shift to cater toward casuals. it's brought more players in and they love all the OP shit, but it's come at the expense of the game's integrity. and now they have an identity crisis.

the part that's dumb is that the changes were so obviously OP and going to lead to people just trivializing the new content (ie: when they added a couple types of monsters with some sort of synergy, as a means of increasing difficulty - we said it wouldn't matter when they're dead in .5 seconds, but they didn't listen. and now complain about the very thing we warned about. same with the life vs ES debacle, vaal pact, and etc).

there's no real way to balance around both groups, they basically need to pick one and stick with it. given that one can reach maps in ~5-10 hours, i think it's a dumb idea to cater toward casuals. but they should at least be consistent.

IMO the issue then becomes what's best for business. They already learned a lesson once when they nerfed CoC and saw a mass exodus of players. Thus, the slow rate of which anything changes these days.

I agree they have deviated from the old days but it is what is. I have faith 3.0 will shake things up a little. It looks to be going in the right direction anyways. VP,CI,GR combo is donezo and lower ES values on gear is pretty significant. A 750ES chest is more less the top end. I think ES will still be super viable.

This is something that is debatable forever. D3 was shat on for being too casual. POE was shat on for being too hardcore. I am a pretty hardcore gamer when it comes to games I like (ever 3k hours in DOTA right now, and significantly more in other games). But honestly grinding for 4 months trying to get a 6 socket linked item with the right colors got old after awhile. They needed to tone down the grinding some to maintain a decent player base.

Yeah, I guess I should have clarified ARPGs that actually look legit. THeres one that range from poor to pretty decent like Victor Vram and Van Helsing. But nothing that blows me away.

Theres the Warhammer 40k one, too. WH40K seems to always have huge potential, but somehow the IP never is never consistent when it comes to video games.
Grim Dawn is pretty cool, but it really lacks an online presence. It was designed as a single player game although you can host parties. It gets boring after awhile, and the combat was a little weak IMO.

Grim Dawn is pretty cool, but it really lacks an online presence. It was designed as a single player game although you can host parties. It gets boring after awhile, and the combat was a little weak IMO.

Yeah, Ive got that one. Its fun. Pretty much a refined Titan Quest, not that theres anything wrong with that.

This is something that is debatable forever. D3 was shat on for being too casual. POE was shat on for being too hardcore. I am a pretty hardcore gamer when it comes to games I like (ever 3k hours in DOTA right now, and significantly more in other games). But honestly grinding for 4 months trying to get a 6 socket linked item with the right colors got old after awhile. They needed to tone down the grinding some to maintain a decent player base.

it was never that hard to 6L or chrome. worst case scenario, just buy it.

they added stupid masters like 3 years ago or something. guaranteed 6L for 1500 fusings. and deterministic chroming. then they added stupid divination cards for deterministic farming.

now one can just freakin buy ilvl 100 6L bases for just 1-2 ex, because the economies got rekt by all this stupid bullshit and now nothing's worth shit anymore unless it's legacy/drop restricted or 6t1.

it should have never taken anyone 4 months, but now one typically has a 6L by day 4, often at day 2.

the game was supposed to be grindy (just look at the company's name). it gave goals and made one actually think about how to spend their time/currency and have to plan their build, accordingly. now, it's stupid. builds are done after 10 hours, and then the players are bored with the league at the 2-3 week mark, as evident by the drop in concurrent players and trade activity. it's dumb.

i get it. the casuals were stoked about it. but the game was made objectively worse and their reputation took a hit. now they're in a shitty situation that's 100% their own doing and was entirely (easily) avoidable.

it was never that hard to 6L or chrome. worst case scenario, just buy it.

they added stupid masters like 3 years ago or something. guaranteed 6L for 1500 fusings. and deterministic chroming. then they added stupid divination cards for deterministic farming.

now one can just freakin buy ilvl 100 6L bases for just 1-2 ex, because the economies got rekt by all this stupid bullshit and now nothing's worth shit anymore unless it's legacy/drop restricted or 6t1.

it should have never taken anyone 4 months, but now one typically has a 6L by day 4, often at day 2.

the game was supposed to be grindy (just look at the company's name). it gave goals and made one actually think about how to spend their time/currency and have to plan their build, accordingly. now, it's stupid. builds are done after 10 hours, and then the players are bored with the league at the 2-3 week mark, as evident by the drop in concurrent players and trade activity. it's dumb.

i get it. the casuals were stoked about it. but the game was made objectively worse and their reputation took a hit. now they're in a shitty situation that's 100% their own doing and was entirely (easily) avoidable.

With all due respect you sound jaded as fuck and I get it, i'm averaging nearly 300 hours a league and the burnout sets in quick, but I don't think the game is objectively worse. You just have the game figured out. That's why we come back each league for something different to spice things up.

I think that's why most people play PoE really. It replicates what D2 did well if D2 kept getting some new content every three months.

but I don't think the game is objectively worse

when you're basically immortal, how do you think it's not worse? it may as well be a slot machine.

even the devs seemed to agree, based on the upcoming changes. as far as i can tell, only those who just want to be OP think the aforementioned were good changes... and most of them are too ignorant to realize the repercussions, anyway.

the game's gotten bigger (which may or may not have naturally happened, anyway), but i don't think it's better.

it seems like a fitting metaphor for the state of gaming, though - it's still the best arpg around, but it really should be much better and it seemed to be in a better state years ago, minus desync.

Back