Passing the collar and Sleeve guard

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by spiderguarda, Jun 13, 2018 at 8:54 AM.

1. spiderguarda

spiderguarda Orange Belt

I came across a seminar on this guard and it has a lot of sweeps and submissions.

It’s 47 minutes long.

What are good ways to pass this guard especially if both of your arms are tied up.

I learned this guard or at least techniques using it but not as a system.

Bubblun likes this.
  2. trustdoesntrust

trustdoesntrust Purple Belt

He kind-of shows you how to deal with it-- backing out or standing bolt upright will prevent him from dominating your posture. Another minor thing that bothers me when I play this guard is when the top player folds his elbow of the arm i'm gripping tight into his body; there's still options for me but this defeats some of the main omoplata/triangle attacks. I don't know if he shows this in the seminar, but the collar drag is a major threat from this guard for the bottom player, so always be on the look out for it when trying to pass.

3. spiderguarda

spiderguarda Orange Belt

He actually has tactics to deal with the opponent hiding the elbow. You’ll need to fast forward the video but it’s pretty comprehensive as far as anything I have seen on YouTube. Glad it was posted.

4. berimBOWLoh

berimBOWLoh Silver Belt

upright posture with hips forward kills alot of the attacks but opens you up to a quick guard change to SLX which is what i do when people use this defense.

5. trustdoesntrust

exactly. de la x is also a really good option if they combat base heavy. meregali is the high level guy i think of who constantly chains these three guards back and forth

berimBOWLoh likes this.
  6. spiderguarda

spiderguarda Orange Belt

How do you pass this type of guard? Combat base is an obvious response as not to get swept but I was thinking about sprawling to get rid of the posting leg but see it as a one way ticket to a triangle.

7. Bubblun

Bubblun Brown Belt

Thank you for this hidden gem.

8. JagRoss

JagRoss Yellow Belt

Rafa has good video on YouTube.

Search for “Collar and sleeve study”

9. trustdoesntrust

I play the guard a lot, but don't often encounter it being done on me. Combat base is a common response, especially among bigger and more aggressive opponents, but I immediately switch to SLX or De la X and usually get an easy sweep. Definitely the thing that gives me the most trouble is opponents sprawl passing in the same diagonal direction of the collar/sleeve control; if done well I need to tech standup quickly or I will be stuck in half guard. Another pass that would seem to work is the Keenan Cornelius/Edwin Najmi concept of "dead lift passing" where you just bend your knees and stand up tall, which then makes the grips much weaker.

spiderguarda likes this.