Parents livid after their 10-year-olds were queried about their sexual history and gender identity

If their parents are ok with it then sure. This is all about informed consent. Stress on the word informed.

I get the idea of informed consent . . . disagree that this is appropriate in any setting for a 10 year old.

It is like asking 10-year-old kids if they have used cracks in the 80s. You would be surprised by the result.

No I really wouldn't be . . . my wife has taught 1st, 3rd and 4th grades in different parts of the US and in different areas of Oklahoma. The differences in the various districts is quite distinct. The answers to these questions would vary depending on which district they're asked in.

If you think there aren't any 10 years old kids that have had sex, then you are naive.

Naive? No . . . heartbroken that there are kids that age experiencing sex? You better believe it.

I get the idea of informed consent . . . disagree that this is appropriate in any setting for a 10 year old.

No I really wouldn't be . . . my wife has taught 1st, 3rd and 4th grades in different parts of the US and in different areas of Oklahoma. The differences in the various districts is quite distinct. The answers to these questions would vary depending on which district they're asked in.

Naive? No . . . heartbroken that there are kids that age experiencing sex? You better believe it.
Luke 17 English Standard Version (ESV)
Temptations to Sin
17 And he said to his disciples, “Temptations to sin are sure to come, but woe to the one through whom they come! 2 It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and he were cast into the sea than that he should cause one of these little ones to sin.b]">[b

To what end though?

These types of projects are how human sexuality is studied. You want to know what age kids start having sex? You have to ask. You want to know if/when kids start seeing their sexual identity in a certain way, you have to ask.

Research works by asking these questions and not assuming we know the answers.

Well at least we can agree on that . . .

This is where we disagree . . . no 10 year-old anywhere should be the subject of research like this . . .

I don't think anyone is pretending this . . . I fully understand there are kids facing the worst possible situations all over the world each and every day.

10 year olds are the subject of tons of different kinds of research. So are 5 year olds. Pretty much every age group is studied by researchers and this research is used to manage a huge range of curricula across the nation. Child development research needs to study actual children.

And if the parents are fine with the research and the research questions then I don't see a problem.

And if we're not pretending that kids aren't having sex at 10 then why are we pretending that asking them about it is an egregious error. If you had a 10 year old, would you want to know if they're sexually active? Would you want to know if your 10 year old's friends are sexually active?

I dont think so. Dont mess with the innocence of little kids.

(so you're a moderator now? congrats, I guess)
In a research project, you're not messing the innocence of little kids. You're talking about 10 year olds whose parents have decided to participate.

And in a world where 10 year olds manage quite a bit, the innocence of children might be overstated. Not even 50 years ago, 10 year olds handled quite a bit more than today. A great of the innocence of children is a modern affectation.

These types of projects are how human sexuality is studied. You want to know what age kids start having sex? You have to ask. You want to know if/when kids start seeing their sexual identity in a certain way, you have to ask.
10 year olds are the subject of tons of different kinds of research. So are 5 year olds. Pretty much every age group is studied by researchers and this research is used to manage a huge range of curricula across the nation. Child development research needs to study actual children.

And if the parents are fine with the research and the research questions then I don't see a problem.

And if we're not pretending that kids aren't having sex at 10 then why are we pretending that asking them about it is an egregious error. If you had a 10 year old, would you want to know if they're sexually active? Would you want to know if your 10 year old's friends are sexually active?
Sorry Pan, but you don't start asking 10 year olds about their sex life for "research"

That is messed up.

Sorry Pan, but you don't start asking 10 year olds about their sex life for "research"

That is messed up.
Of course, I'm not surprised you prefer to live in ignorance.

Some kids are entering puberty by 10. That's not people destroying children's innocence. That's human biology and development. We can either choose to understand it or we can stick our heads in the sand and pretend that no one thinks about these things before they turn 18.

Do you believe that kids that grow up on farms don't learn about sex prior to 10 just by observation? Do you think that kids going through puberty at 10 don't have questions about what they're experiencing?

Some parents certainly don't want to expose their children to those types of questions. That's fair and reasonable. But it never stops them from picking up the books on child development and reading them and applying that information when they're trying to be better parents. So, let the parents who are fine with the research participate and let the parents who aren't fine with research choose to not participate. But as long as we're all taking our kids to doctors at 10 years old and reading books on child development, maybe we should be a little more honest about things instead of false moralizing. IMO.

I'd guess they observe rather than ask. A 10 year old doesnt have the vocabulary to handle such questions

Outliers. Are you basing your reasoning on outliers?
Like I said "ignorance".

The average age of pubertal onset in girls is 10-and-a-half years old, but it ranges from seven to 13 years old.
For boys, puberty is generally considered too early before the age of nine years. In boys, onset of puberty is from nine to 14 years,
https://www.dukehealth.org/blog/when-puberty-too-early

So, no, not outliers.

Far more common than the people in this thread seem to realize.

I'd guess they observe rather than ask. A 10 year old doesnt have the vocabulary to handle such questions
That's absurd. And you don't observe the development of 10 year olds without getting permission from their parents so you might as well just ask while you're at it. It's far less invasive.

Sounds like some serious wrong think from the parents. Perhaps they should be sent to reeducation camps for their thought crimes?

So just pretending it doesn't happen is your solution?
You don't ask 10 year olds about a possible sex life just to do research.

If you want to do research, you can ask kids about a sex life several years later. There is good in keeping some innocence in children. You don't want to put ideas of them having a sex life at the age of ten.

This sex life research on 10 year old kids is messed up.

That's absurd. And you don't observe the development of 10 year olds without getting permission from their parents so you might as well just ask while you're at it. It's far less invasive.

Kids that young are very suggestible. Textbook case of disturbing the system by attempting to measure it.

Obviously you dont have kids.

You don't ask 10 year olds about a possible sex life just to do research.

If you want to do research, you can ask kids about a sex life several years later. There is good in keeping some innocence in children. You don't want to put ideas of them having a sex life at the age of ten.

This sex life research on 10 year old kids is messed up.

Yep. All they care about is soccer, Ronaldo, Messi, and Fortnite. Just give them a fucking break with your sex obsessions.

Kids that young are very suggestible. Textbook case of disturbing the system by attempting to measure it.

Textbook case of assuming (just like your "outliers" statement). Have you seen the questions in this study? Share with me your concern with the wording - maybe we can decide if the questions are too suggestive together.

I am concerned we will have a whole generation of children who think it is acceptable to cheat on their husbands and wives. I mean the President cheated on his wife right after his son was born and has committed adultery on all his wives. Most non Cafeteria Christians, I know find the pass the President gets for his behavior shed a hypocritical light on True Christians.

Really? That's your point?

Do you even Bill Clinton, broham?

Textbook case of assuming (just like your "outliers" statement). Have you seen the questions in this study? Share with me your concern with the wording - maybe we can decide if the questions are too suggestive together.

Havent seen the qusstions, no.

And by the way, why are you equating the onset of puberty with engaging in sex activity?

Exactly, this "research" can get these kids thinking maybe they should have one.

And that's wrong to be putting in a kids head when it might not be there otherwise.

These are little kids, not mice for the Left's science and research project.

Back