Pakistan’s biggest #MeToo moment

Islam Imamate

Master of sports in Moderation.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
One complaint I hear about #metoo is that its too focused on women in the West and doesn't address cultures that are more problematic when it comes to sexual violence. Well here you go, its made it to Pakistan.
In what is being referred to as “Pakistan’s biggest Me too moment,” Pakistani actor and singer Meesha Shafi recently accused Pakistani actor and singer Ali Zafar of sexual harassment. Shafi publicized her allegations against Zafar in a tweet, stating that on numerous occasions he had subjected her to “sexual harassment of a physical nature.”
Zafar, who is best known for his album Huqa Pani, denied the allegations on Twitter, and threatened to take Shafi to court. In his defense, Zafar said he is “the father of a young girl and a young boy, a husband to a wife and a son to a mother.”

Since Shafi came forward, other women have also leveled accusations against Zafar on social media of inappropriate contact, groping, and sexual comments. The allegations have been polarizing, with the Pakistani entertainment industry divided between the two performers. For example, Mahira Khan, star of the film Verna, came out in support of Shafi on Twitter, while actor Maya Ali used Instagram to urge people not to condemn Zafar until a court has had the opportunity to weigh in.
https://muftah.org/pakistani-actor-meesha-shafi-accuses-ali-zafar-of-sexual-harassment/

I find this particularly interesting because on the Indian continent their entertainment industry seems to mirror the US Hollywood scene of a bygone era where the stars like these two really are the biggest draws and carry the industry on their shoulders. It'll be interesting to see how the story unfolds. Will the guy get blacklisted? He seems to have support in the industry. Maybe she will get blacklisted.

1ybrrj.jpg

Didn’t read but if she outed someone for sexual harassment they’ll probably stone her to death.

#ourally
#allyinregion
#didntknowbinladenwasthere

If the words are too big for you try and get a parent or guardian to help you read through it.
I know all I need to know about middle eastern countries. They’re ass backwards and wouldn’t be relevant if it wasn’t for oil in the region.

Civilized countries would care about it as much as we do Africa.

Under true Islamic rule such as in Islamic State territory or Afghanistan under Taliban rule, this would not even happen in the first place and if it did, justice would be handled swiftly.

One complaint I hear about #metoo is that its too focused on women in the West and doesn't address cultures that are more problematic when it comes to sexual violence. Well here you go, it has made it to Pakistan.

Not surprising. The wealthy in Third World societies imitate the West (i.e. U.S. and Europe) in a variety of ways. They don't really follow their culture or religion. The mentality being: "I am better than the rest of you and the rules of the game or even the law do not apply to me. I can buy my way out of any situation - even murder." Very common through Latin America. Sexual harassment accusations only serve to increase the drama and propaganda. It is like a soap opera. The common people love it.

For every single case of sexual harassment in the west there's probably 1000 more in southern Asia alone

Not surprising. The wealthy in Third World societies imitate the West (i.e. U.S. and Europe) in a variety of ways. They don't really follow their culture or religion. The mentality being: "I am better than the rest of you and the rules of the game or even the law do not apply to me. I can buy my way out of any situation - even murder." Very common through Latin America. Sexual harassment accusations only serve to increase the drama and propaganda. It is like a soap opera. The common people love it.
I was wondering if someone would point that out, I thought of it myself. This case in Pakistan is very similar to the ones in the US with the exception of the fact that the guy hasn't gotten blacklisted and has industry support. But its not an honor killing or forced marriage, the kind of thing your average person might imagine of when they think of sexual violence and Pakistan.

To be fair these actors are cultural icons in their countries and do have a connection there so they're not entirely rootless internationalists. But I think there's truth to the idea that they're more like their American counterparts in many ways than they are the average Pakistani.

I know all I need to know about middle eastern countries. They’re ass backwards and wouldn’t be relevant if it wasn’t for oil in the region.

Oh G-d, its worse than I thought.
Under true Islamic rule such as in Islamic State territory or Afghanistan under Taliban rule, this would not even happen in the first place and if it did, justice would be handled swiftly.
Mashallah!

Yikes...

Yup even in my country its like that the upper caste or class is always trying to imitate the West specially USA, even the common middle class, I just remember the Catholic conservatives where all crying and praying and distressed some even hurling insults when they heard that the USA has legalize Gay Marriage.

They where so affected as if they are in the USA mind you I am confident to say that majority of those won't get a US Visa even if they try so hard.

The funny thing it was an American evangelical that tried to calm them down saying something like "Fellow Christians this is not our fight its not up to us to condemn the gays etc, and don't be a Hypocrite look at your selves first be sure you are not divorcees or haven't cheated on your wife."

Pakistan, along with Afghanistan, may be the worst country for a woman to live in.
Culturally backwards.

Pakistan, along with Afghanistan, may be the worst country for a woman to live in.
Culturally backwards.

You see Danny I really cried when back in 1999 they showed the women being beaten in the street, the woman was begging for alms she is so poor because in Taliban land they don't allow women to work if their husbands die they just rot in the streets.

The Taleban must be tottally imilated

I actually think that this has nothing to do with this and that people with power are often not held accountable and that women go after men with power and that some of these men think that this means that they all women want them and that they can do whatever they want

Plus, European cultures and their descendants are significantly less rapey than most other cultures

Back