Pain Relief for my dog

luv24nic8

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I love my dog- he is a part of my family- He is a German Shepherd and is 12 years old- he's really slowed down the last few months. His vet wants to put him on prescription pain relievers and of course, perform hundreds of dollars worth of of tests to tell me that hes getting old.

Id like him to be as comfortable as possible until its time for him to leave us. Does anybody know of alternative therapy for dogs? Cannabis, cbd oil, etc... Or should I just get pain relievers from the Vet?
Anyone have experience with this? Suggestions?

That’s a bummer man. Hope you get some answers.

Thanks- where better to go looking for awnsers about mans best friend than Sherdog

I've seen cbd oil really help out older pets. Doesn't always work but most of the time it seems to. Good luck TS. Hate seeing our pet companions get old and have to leave us.

rub-some-tussin-on-it.jpg

Our fourteen year old dog is on previcox, it seems to work pretty well for him. Had some hippy co-worker try to shame me about putting our dog on pain-killers, I told her it was an anti-inflammatory (NSAID). She apparently believes oxycontin and ibuprofin are the exact same thing, lol.

It's sad man, my lab is 11 and he's prescribed carpfrofen and fioricet. He only gets them when he's in pain. He also takes glucosamine and fish oil every day. I've tried CBD oil but I'm not sure how well it worked with him, it actually worked great for my cats urine infections. Old dogs cost a lot of money, it's totally worth it though.

Cosequin.jpg

6011db2b-17f1-4cf4-b057-1b5fe9eed690_2.01572e0c1b390e8d0f8ab0b5f7c0734d.jpeg

Thanks- where better to go looking for awnsers about mans best friend than Sherdog

I mean, you had to have prepared for ~20+ initial posts poking fun at your misery.

Is it a pitbull? Because it might go worse for you on here if it is.

I always heard not to give canines thc based products. Don’t remember where I heard it, just do your research obviously if you go that route.

I love my dog- he is a part of my family- He is a German Shepherd and is 12 years old- he's really slowed down the last few months. His vet wants to put him on prescription pain relievers and of course, perform hundreds of dollars worth of of tests to tell me that hes getting old.

Id like him to be as comfortable as possible until its time for him to leave us. Does anybody know of alternative therapy for dogs? Cannabis, cbd oil, etc... Or should I just get pain relievers from the Vet?
I started giving my dog K9 level 5000 glucosamine and he’s improved significantly after a month or so. He actually begs to go on walks now and seems to be less gimpy. You can give your dog aspirin but check on dosage and I think it has to be buffered or maybe not buffered.
Level-5000-W.jpg

Last edited:
The Vet's scrip painkillers is the best way to go. Alternatives do not work as well, or do not work at all. Opioids can be applied to pets, and are the best, but your Vet will assess the situation and know what to prescribe.

Man I love dogs but they fucking rip your heart out when their card gets pulled. I feel for you TS.

Tramadol is a common and inexpensive human pain med prescribed for dogs.
I've given it to my dogs when they had cancer and it didn't have any negative side effects (they weren't loopy or drowsy all the time). Don't buy them from the vet, bring a prescription to a pharmacy (download a discount card and give the pharmacy the info to reduce the cost).

With regards to the tests, your dog is 12 yo. Thats a decent lifespan for a GSD. Their tests aren't going to prolong his life, so I would consider just making him comfortable and enjoy him.

I don't have much experience with CBDs/ alternative therapies for dogs.

edit: looking above: glucosamine/ chondroiton is an effective product for joint pain.

Deff invest on some CBD oil, even if it doesn't work on your dog, which I'm sure it will, you can use it on yourself.

perform hundreds of dollars worth of of tests to tell me that hes getting old.

Skip this.

Vets don't give a damn about the results of the tests, they want the money to perform the tests.

Stick with the pain pills.

Yes, I'm speaking out of experience.

You don't want to hear this, but 12 years is a very respectable lifespan for a German Shepard. Don't go broke on the promises of vets saying your dog may live a few years longer if he gets expensive tests & surgeries.

Just enjoy every moment you have with him today, as if you know he's going to be gone tomorrow.

Sorry to be a pessimistic asshole. I love dogs, but I'm also a realist so I prepare myself emotionally for these things.

Buy ramps for you dog. Joint problems affect a lot of older dogs

The Vet's scrip painkillers is the best way to go. Alternatives do not work as well, or do not work at all. Opioids can be applied to pets, and are the best, but your Vet will assess the situation and know what to prescribe.

Many pain medications for dogs are the same formula used for humans and available without a prescription for humans but the prices are usually 400 to 1000 percent higher and available by prescription only. Veterinarians aren't allowed to tell you that. The drug companies have increased the prices on medications for animals which used to be cheaper than the human versions.

Back