Pain in ligament connecting kneecap to femur when squatting

David Hume

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So as the title suggests, I'm having pain in both knees in the ligament connecting the knee cap to the femur, the upper kneecap ligament when squatting. It started out only happening when doing powerlifting squats. I like to mix in Olympic variety because I think it's fun to squat really low with lighter weight, and I noticed the Oly squats didn't hurt my knees nearly as much. But now I can barely do those and it seems that front squats are all I can do pain free.

The only thing that's changed is I've been bicycling a lot more with the warmer weather. Could this be an overuse thing? Form issue? Muscle imbalance (are those real?). I know there's a lot of seasoned lifters here, so I figure someone's gotta have a little wisdom.

All help greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

Sounds like it might be either quad tendonitis or patellofemoral syndrome. Both are overuse injuries.

Maybe try taking it easier for a few days and see how it responds?

Try switching to wide box squatting for a while. More posterior chain

You should know there's not a necessary connection between your squats and knee pain.

Sounds like it might be either quad tendonitis or patellofemoral syndrome. Both are overuse injuries.

Maybe try taking it easier for a few days and see how it responds?

This.

Try switching to wide box squatting for a while. More posterior chain

For sure not this.

Chill on the Westside4LYFE, brah.

For me I need to stretch A LOT before back squatting. Otherwise my knees make cracking noises and for some reason my left ankle gets injured.

It might be related to tightness in your hips.

I've recently been diagnosed with patella tendinitis. Same shit but bottom of kneecap. It's fucking annoying but the treatment is rest.

I get a pain in the bottom part of my kneecap when squatting and at the bottom of the lift. Is this the same thing?

Back