Pain in knuckles after heavy bag with 16oz gloves

Prime Yossarian

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So about 10 months ago I bought a pair of 16oz Fairtex BGV1's.

I use them on the heavy bag and doing mitt work. I generally get a little bit of pain on my knuckles after a few rounds of punching the heavy bag - it's nothing too uncomfortable but it's not pleasant.

Last week I forgot one of my fairtex gloves and used an old beaten up pair of 10oz gloves that had just been lying about the gym and had no pain whatsoever. My gloves are fairly well broken in and it would stand to reason they should have more kuckle padding - being 6oz heavier - so not sure why my hands would hurt when punching with the more padded gloves as opposed to the light gloves.

I would just go buy a pair of bag mitts and not worry about it, but I do like training with the 16oz gloves as it is a much tougher work out.

Can anyone guess why this might be happening?

Well, heavier gloves do not always mean more protective, even the gloves that everyone says is the most protective gloves in the world, to you it still might not be, simply because different people has different shape and sizes of hands, finding the right padding and shape of the gloves is far more important than just going for heavier oz. Eg: I could easily have a 8 oz winning more protective than a 16oz reyes. If you like something 16oz just get some good 16oz that probably have a good broken in feel to start with, or grab yourself a winning NG-2 knuckle guard.

Aren't bgv1's tight fit gloves?

I agree with the above - fit is huge when it comes to gear. Also, I think bgv1's are technically sparring gloves. They might be friendly to your partner but at the expense of your hands. The reason I bring this up is because horsehair/foam combination gloves such as the Flores glove were known as being hand safe gloves. Their number one priority was to protect the hand (you can make a wonderful fist) but they don't provide much protection for your opponent. Those gloves were generally made in slimmer profile as well. They feel like fight gloves. I bring this us because those 10 oz beat up pair probably fit and mold to your hand well.

I use bag mitts and wraps on the heavy bag, and I make the bag pop when I hit it. It's true that they aren't as heavy (they're about 6 oz) but I punch more and with more explosiveness. When I used to use 16 oz IMFs, I developed some gnarly shoulder and elbow problems. They were pillow-y but had a rebound effect that was doing a number on my joints as well. I don't get knuckle soreness but they do occasionally get cut up.

I have had similar issues. It's not so much the weight of the glove or the padding as much as the fit (as the two folks above have stated).

More specifically, I find that the better fist that I can make in the glove, the less knuckle problems I tend to have. I don't know if this has been everyone else's experience. I think it's partly because a firm fist on impact lessens the likelihood of the padding moving around on your knuckle. Everything feels a lot more fluid.

When I have issues like this, its usually because I wrapped my hands too tight. That thickness over the knuckle with the space in the gloves being too tight, and I end up with knuckle pain after a good padwork session.

Back