Pad work

Nothing against your padholder but I really hate that style of holding for kicks when I'm kicking (both arms together parallel). Maybe it's just a personal preference but I hold (and prefer to kick) using the upside down V that's tight to the body...could be a height thing as well.

How most padholders hold for me:

N779Xxp.jpg

What I'm talking about (not the cleanest example but best I could find on short notice):

maxresdefault.jpg

This isn't just a Thai vs non-Thai thing...I've had Thais hold for me in that same way and it just makes it seem like my kicks don't have any pop on them. Maybe it's something to do with the angle of how my kicks come up to meet the pad or something. Anyone that's had a bad padholder or one that you "just don't mesh well with" knows what I'm talking about.

Anyway, pretty good stuff compared to what the average Sherdogger throws up. How do you rank your kicks in terms of how good they are compared to your punches, elbows and knees?

Would love to get a session in sometime...I've got no problem driving up and meeting you in OC whenever you're free during a weekend.

Nothing against your padholder but I really hate that style of holding for kicks when I'm kicking (both arms together parallel). Maybe it's just a personal preference but I hold (and prefer to kick) using the upside down V that's tight to the body...could be a height thing as well.

i'm the exact opposite. I feel my kicks have more pop when held more vertical from the floor. I like the "upside down V" when someone really knows how to hold pads.

i'm the exact opposite. I feel my kicks have more pop when held more vertical from the floor. I like the "upside down V" when someone really knows how to hold pads.

Not to detail the thread but what do you mean by vertical from the floor? Held more 12-6 or 3-9?

Part of the difference I was describing also relates to how much resistance the V gives versus the pads stacked parallel next to each other. Not that I'm Yodsanklai or anything but noob padholders can't create enough resistance using the parallel method, since they're essentially trying to just use their triceps to resist the kick. With the V, if you keep everything (elbows) tight to your body and slightly crunch your body to meet the kick, it's easier to get that solid resistance/pop.

Put it this way...how many noob padholders have you seen hit themselves in the face while holding pads using the parallel method versus the V?

How most padholders hold for me:

N779Xxp.jpg

What I'm talking about (not the cleanest example but best I could find on short notice):

maxresdefault.jpg

This isn't just a Thai vs non-Thai thing...I've had Thais hold for me in that same way and it just makes it seem like my kicks don't have any pop on them. Maybe it's something to do with the angle of how my kicks come up to meet the pad or something. Anyone that's had a bad padholder or one that you "just don't mesh well with" knows what I'm talking about.

Anyway, pretty good stuff compared to what the average Sherdogger throws up. How do you rank your kicks in terms of how good they are compared to your punches, elbows and knees?

Would love to get a session in sometime...I've got no problem driving up and meeting you in OC whenever you're free during a weekend.

yes i agree, my friend is a boxing coach, that is his thing. Hes a great mitt holder for boxing. He is learning with the kicks etc for muay thai.

Not to detail the thread but what do you mean by vertical from the floor? Held more 12-6 or 3-9?

Part of the difference I was describing also relates to how much resistance the V gives versus the pads stacked parallel next to each other. Not that I'm Yodsanklai or anything but noob padholders can't create enough resistance using the parallel method, since they're essentially trying to just use their triceps to resist the kick. With the V, if you keep everything (elbows) tight to your body and slightly crunch your body to meet the kick, it's easier to get that solid resistance/pop.

Put it this way...how many noob padholders have you seen hit themselves in the face while holding pads using the parallel method versus the V?

Ahh I see. I was talking more so about holding them 12-6. I get your point about resistance. Some problems I get with less experienced people holding pads at 3-9 is they "hide" the pad too much almost invert it into themselves at a weird 4-10 and I've seen people get clocked in the body as a result.

Me on the Pads

You look good. Tough to really give anything more constructive given the short clip. My opinion, you're rushing these drills a bit and putting more emphasis on the pace vs. really "flowing" through the combos (more forced movement vs. a natural flow). That said, you're keeping well balanced and controlled but you're not incorporating a full range of motion on any single shot (watch your shoulders). In short, you're striking to the target vs through the target and therefore you're starting to throw the next shot before finishing the shot you're throwing. Specifically, where I noticed this most was on your lead hook. Simply getting a little more turn through that hook (vs slapping with it) will allow you to transition back into your right cross or right kick with less effort and more force.

Again, with the pace you're using you are very well controlled. But even if the intention of the drill is purely to work on quicker transitions from one shot to the next, i'd still like to see you working in heavier shot's somewhere in those combos (committing to the shot). I.E: pop, pop, pop, BANG vs. pop, pop, pop, pop....... Hope that makes sense. But good work brotha!

Me on the Pads

Not bad, mate.

However I think some explosive / power / plyometric training would definitely help.
Seemed a lil flat to me though I can't tell if you were tired from any previous work.
But IF you actually fight or spar like that, it could work. Some guys have a high volume low power style (a good buddy of mine) that just overwhelms a guy after a round or so.
But that only works if you're throwing or pressuring near continuous like that.

Also, your head seems really exposed. With that long neck ....i'd prefer your elbows in more compact or your lead hand more out. Either way but not your elbows out like that. That also makes your punches go out at chin / neck level. Easy to get countered up top.
@ssullivan80 given you some good stuff in his post and he almost never posts.

Otherwise, good work.

its a different style when I train with my boxing coach. I will post a video of pads with muay thai coach as well.

Back