Pacquiao vs. Jeff Horn penciled in for April 22 in Suncorp Stadium Australia

Only remember hearing Jeff Horn's name in the last couple of months when he took out Ali Funeka (his last fight) and Randall Bailey before that. A lot of speculation at this but my main question is for the USA what's the outlet for this Horn vs Paquiao fight?

Given HBO PPV didn't bother with Vargas-Pacquiao, and Arum is quoted in an ESPN article here (4th paragraph down) http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/...terweight-title-australian-jeff-horn-april-22

as saying HBO "has no money" it's looking like this fight will be either independent PPV or somewhere on free TV.

People do kind of under look that Crawford is lineal now in two weight classes. That's not insignificant.

To who though? Outside of hardcore boxing fans, nobody knows who the hell Terrence Crawford is. He's a very talented accomplished fighter, nobody is denying that. But if Crawford really was asking for $7 Mill to fight Pac, that can't be taken seriously since Crawford has no legs to stand on

Crawford asks for xxxx .... Arum and Pac go for Horn, because they don't need Crawford.

To who though? Outside of hardcore boxing fans, nobody knows who the hell Terrence Crawford is. He's a very talented accomplished fighter, nobody is denying that. But if Crawford really was asking for $7 Mill to fight Pac, that can't be taken seriously since Crawford has no legs to stand on

Crawford asks for xxxx .... Arum and Pac go for Horn, because they don't need Crawford.

Pacquiao doesn't really need anyone at this point, but even if Crawford got paid out $7 million, he'd make more fighting Crawford than Horn of all people. Crawford isn't unknown in the sense that he draws strong numbers on HBO. Does he deserve $7 million? I'm not sure he does or how the money breaks down, but if Arum wants to build Crawford (Arum promotes Crawford, as well, don't forget), maybe it's worth paying him a little extra to get a shot at a step up fight (this was assuming Crawford/Pacquiao was ever a real possibility or that Crawford ever asked for $7 million, which he claims he didn't).

For the record, Crawford outright denied ever asking for $7 million or that the fight was ever seriously negotiated.

http://www.boxingscene.com/terence-crawford-i-ask-7-million-fight-pacquiao--112435

^ And who's watching Crawford on HBO? Probably mostly boxing fans. The one time Crawford did PPV, it tanked (50k) I think that example someone cited 3-4 pages back about 1 in 49 people being able to point out Crawford is a valid point so right now given Crawford isn't a household name or close to it he probably isn't worth paying extra. Shucks if Arum sticks to this Pac World Tour, it looks like Khan, Brook or another Welterweight will get Pacquiao instead of Crawford.

If Arum wanted to build Crawford, he should have started a while back already, and done it better IMO. Why is it that Crawford has NEVER appeared on a Pacquiao PPV undercard? By comparison it took Tim Bradley one Pac PPV undercard before he was in there vs Pacquiao.

well boxing often becomes a he said he said kinda deal which can be hard to keep up with. And with Arum so gung ho on this Pacquiao World Tour, it's possible that a Crawford-Pacquiao wasn't ever really seriously considered.

I'd watch this fight live in Australia if I was living in Australia so I can say I've been to a live Pac fight...

Other than that... wtf... but this is probably because Pac is worldwide famous and he can still make tons of money outside of US PPV...

Word is that the fight is close to being finalized...

Who da fook is that guy?

And lol @ anyone who actually thinks Pac/Crawford was ever negotiated. That fight was never gonna happen

^ And who's watching Crawford on HBO? Probably mostly boxing fans. The one time Crawford did PPV, it tanked (50k) I think that example someone cited 3-4 pages back about 1 in 49 people being able to point out Crawford is a valid point so right now given Crawford isn't a household name or close to it he probably isn't worth paying extra. Shucks if Arum sticks to this Pac World Tour, it looks like Khan, Brook or another Welterweight will get Pacquiao instead of Crawford.

If Arum wanted to build Crawford, he should have started a while back already, and done it better IMO. Why is it that Crawford has NEVER appeared on a Pacquiao PPV undercard? By comparison it took Tim Bradley one Pac PPV undercard before he was in there vs Pacquiao.

well boxing often becomes a he said he said kinda deal which can be hard to keep up with. And with Arum so gung ho on this Pacquiao World Tour, it's possible that a Crawford-Pacquiao wasn't ever really seriously considered.

Bradley is actually an interesting comparison. After beating Pacquiao in a very controversial PPV that did solid numbers, he headlined a show against Provodnikov and drew very comparable to what Crawford already draws on HBO. Crawford is easily a bigger draw at this point than Bradley was before fighting Pacquiao. I've never argued that Crawford was a PPV draw (the Postol fight being on PPV was always going to bomb and everyone knew it). In the US, there are very few fighters who can draw more than 200K on their name alone. I don't necessarily disagree that Arum has become a very lazy promoter in recent years, but it is in his interest to market his fighters, no?

Anyway, by the sounds of it Crawford/Pacquiao was never seriously pursued, so whatever. Pacquiao has no obligation to fight live bodies at this point in his career as he's well past the point of having to prove anything in this sport. However, my point was that if his demand was $20 million minimum (that was reported not too long ago), he could probably make that money, even if Crawford made $7 million against him. The fight would sell, and in all likelihood he'd make a fair bit more than he'll make against the likes of Horn.

As for Pacquiao pursuing Brook, Khan, or another non-TR WW ahead of Crawford, I find that extremely unlikely. If Pacquiao is going to take on a real challenge, I highly doubt Arum will want it to involve co-promotion.

According to Steve Kim, this is the 1st of Pacquiao's first fight tour. His second fight is in talks with Kell Brook/Eddie Hearn and will take place in UK.

Third fight will probably be the biggest fight, and 4th fight will be a fairwell fight.

Arum tried to make Khan vs Pac for April 22 but Khan turned it down

According to Steve Kim, this is the 1st of Pacquiao's first fight tour. His second fight is in talks with Kell Brook/Eddie Hearn and will take place in UK.

Third fight will probably be the biggest fight, and 4th fight will be a fairwell fight.

If he fights Brook the rest of it might be gone. It would be a kind of joke if they continued on with this gimmick after losing. People are becoming tired of him as it is, that would just be annoying.

If he fights Brook the rest of it might be gone. It would be a kind of joke if they continued on with this gimmick after losing. People are becoming tired of him as it is, that would just be annoying.
If he beats Brooke, he can have a megafight as his 3rd fight (Furman/Garcia winner or Lomachenko or Crawford), and then a Mayweather rematch for a farewell fight.

Would prefer Pac/Bradley 4 to this waste of time.

Showtime wants to air this fight for free, just like they wanted to air the last Pac fight.

Too bad Arum said none of fighters are going to Showtime because "nobody watches them"

Showtime wants to air this fight for free, just like they wanted to air the last Pac fight.

Too bad Arum said none of fighters are going to Showtime because "nobody watches them"

The end of an era. Arum is selling out Pac. He's going to feed him to a top welter weight later this year.

The end of an era. Arum is selling out Pac. He's going to feed him to a top welter weight later this year.
Its already happening. Jessie Vargas becoming big was plan B incase Pac loses.

I dont think he wants to risk Pac losing to a non Top Rank fighter unless its his last fight.

Bradley is actually an interesting comparison. After beating Pacquiao in a very controversial PPV that did solid numbers, he headlined a show against Provodnikov and drew very comparable to what Crawford already draws on HBO. Crawford is easily a bigger draw at this point than Bradley was before fighting Pacquiao. I've never argued that Crawford was a PPV draw (the Postol fight being on PPV was always going to bomb and everyone knew it). In the US, there are very few fighters who can draw more than 200K on their name alone. I don't necessarily disagree that Arum has become a very lazy promoter in recent years, but it is in his interest to market his fighters, no?

Anyway, by the sounds of it Crawford/Pacquiao was never seriously pursued, so whatever. Pacquiao has no obligation to fight live bodies at this point in his career as he's well past the point of having to prove anything in this sport. However, my point was that if his demand was $20 million minimum (that was reported not too long ago), he could probably make that money, even if Crawford made $7 million against him. The fight would sell, and in all likelihood he'd make a fair bit more than he'll make against the likes of Horn.

As for Pacquiao pursuing Brook, Khan, or another non-TR WW ahead of Crawford, I find that extremely unlikely. If Pacquiao is going to take on a real challenge, I highly doubt Arum will want it to involve co-promotion.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Provodnikov fight kinda redeemed Bradley a bit IMO, especially coming off that controversial decision vs Pacquiao. Provo-Bradley was a genuine FOTY candidate and was even voted Fight of the Year by ESPN. I remember I DVR'd it, happened to come across some comments talking about how awesome the fight was ... didn't believe it till I finally got around to watching. Anyway did a little research Provo-Bradley wound up getting 1.2 million viewers. Also did some research on Crawford's #ers, not to call you out or anything, just more for curiosity sake and here's what I found. T

Crawford-Beltran November 2014 peaking at 936,000 viewers
1.071 million viewers vs Jean 7% raise compared to last fight (Delorme)
806k vs Molina December of 2016

Bradley vs Alexander - 1,345,000 (from 2011)
^Tim's last fight before signing on to Top Rank .. tried looking for Bradley's TV numbers vs Peterson/Holt etc but no luck

even if Crawford is a bigger draw at this point than Bradley was before Pac fight, how much has it benefited him? As I think we need to look at another component to Pacquiao's opponent selection, picking guys he knows he can beat, or favors himself against more ... see Algieri, Rios, Vargas and the 3rd Bradley fight. Heck even now vs Jeff Horn - High WBO ranking, fighting in Australia, there's no defending that on paper, head to head Horn is the more favorable match up when compared to Terrence Crawford. Which continuing on him. I think Arum has dropped the ball. Not to knock Bud, as being 30-0 and 2 weight champion at this point is impressive, but you'd think he'd be a bit further along and it still kinda blows my mind why Arum hasn't featured Crawford on a Pacquiao undercard at least once. And yeah if he can keep winning, perhaps being promoted by Arum will finally land Crawford the Pac fight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back