Pacquiao-Dempsey-Briscoe subtle defense

giancana

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Forget the title of the video:

After watching this fight I began to realize that Pacquiao is not that easy to hit as I thought; in the slowmotion a lot of punches didn´t land cleanly due to his head movement-distance and arm positioning; I only noticed this in slowmo because when I watched the fight I thought that a lot more punches landed (effectively) which they didn´t when I watched it in slowmotion

Made me better understand that subtle small movements are enough ; because I always thought movements have to be big so that the boxer is waaaay out of the line of fire, for example the way tyson slips punches has more range of motion and is a different position than the normal way of slipping but its does not have to be a big exagerated movement to be effective

look at Sonny Liston

his head movements are very small but the opponent struggles to range find him and time him

through the usage of posture (chin down) Demspey rarely gets hit cleanly;

Cus D´Amato also commented on this when he watched a Tape with Mike Tyson on Bennie Briscoe
at 3min 30:

There is a problem with subtle movement for defence, it's when it comes to scoring if it goes to points, sometimes clear or exaggerated movements leave no room for error in the eyes of the judges, that a strike did not land.

That's the thing when you're a pressure fighter, either people favour your style for its excitement, or they slam you for having no boxing savvy and reduce you to being a mindless hitter. But you can't be a pressure fighter with a long career, or exist at heavyweight for very long with those big punchers, and not have the ability to take the edge off a punch somehow. Dempsey used head movement, obviously or subtly, because the gloves were so small in his era it did not make sense to block with gloves - at least not in the way we are used to today. Head movement, foot movement, and parrying made more sense. Dempsey wasn't one to parry so he used his head, scooped low, got close and pounded you with hooks till you questioned why you were in there to begin with.

A.J. Liebling - a writer I truly appreciate - once wrote that about all Dempsey could do was hit, and I think that's an oversight on his part. In fact, he was dead wrong there. Dempsey couldn't cut the ring off very well, but he did a lot of other things with a remarkable amount of forethought and science - just don't watch the Firpo fight and expect to see too much of that (though his infighting, using the energy of Firpo's stiff forearm to spring off and pop in close range shots, and jockeying for position with his arms and trapping Firpo's arms with his own, was quite fun to see when it happened).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back