Pac vs Rios - Fight discussion

Pac threw 800 punches, it was a good fight. Rios was clearly frustrated by the speed and fought dirty when he can. His most damage came in the clinch.

Last nights @MannyPacquiao fight was one of the most sensational performances in the history of boxing.

— Mike Tyson (@MikeTyson) November 24, 2013 [

Regarding Baldomir/Clottey, Clottey is the better boxer. If you had watched their fight you would have seen Clottey winning convincingly up until he was DQ'd, and any boxing pundit will tell you that. Clottey also put up a hell of a fight against Cotto that I don't think Baldomir could have done.

That said, Mayweather is number 1 in my books, he's that good.

On topic though, Manny totally lit up Rios and I would definitely want to see Manny vs Mayweather. Anyone who doesn't isn't a fan of boxing.

except there was no knockout.

Pac was cautious the other night...He outclassed Rios in every aspect needless to say that he still has it...

Regarding Baldomir/Clottey, Clottey is the better boxer. If you had watched their fight you would have seen Clottey winning convincingly up until he was DQ'd, and any boxing pundit will tell you that. Clottey also put up a hell of a fight against Cotto that I don't think Baldomir could have done.

On topic though, Manny totally lit up Rios and I would definitely want to see Manny vs Mayweather. Anyone who doesn't isn't a fan of boxing.

Clottey had the potential to win every fight he has lost...

The man just keeps forgetting he's in a fight.

His loss to Miguel Cotto was truly puzzling. The most bizarre aspect of that fight was when he had Cotto visibly hurt but then stopped punching...

I agree, Clottey is a better boxer but I don't think their is this HUGE gap in level between the two. And I would say they are definitely comparable as opponents. Baldomir was a slow plodding pressure fighter with a great chin. Clottey, more of a selective puncher with good countering ability and a solid chin who used a tight high guard to absorb punches and throw back. Stylistically speaking, Baldomir's fights were always going to look more competitive than clotteys, just as Brandon Rios's fights are generally going to look more competitive than Adrian Broner's, especially against movers. They have different styles but they are both VERY effective at imposing them on their opponents and that is what counts.

And I think Baldomir could have had some success against Cotto, but he would have to throw more punches in the same way Margarito did, minus the wraps obviously. I wouldn't bet on him defeating Cotto though.

Baldomir has a better resume than Clottey. Clottey's best win is Zab Judah, a guy Baldo beat when Zab was undisputed 147 pound champion.
Clottey fought a lot of guys but lost to all of them, I don't really count losses. Getting in the ring with Tony, Cotto , Pac etc is great but means nothing if they all beat you.

Baldomir was the lineal champ at 147. That one thing is more than Clottey can claim on his entire resume.

I'm guessing this is a Pac fought Clottey and Floyd fought Baldo argument more than a Baldo vs Clottey argument though.

Anyone surprised how well Rios took Pac's punches without getting hurt or even wobbled ? Is rios that tough or Pac just doesnt punch as hard as people think ? Lol he even said he didn't feel Pacs power in the post fight interview.

Several pac opponents have said that he's really not as big a puncher as people think he is. Oscar, Diaz and Cotto all said the same thing- it wasn't his power it was just that he was so fast.

He hasn't proved he is the better boxer.

Several pac opponents have said that he's really not as big a puncher as people think he is. Oscar, Diaz and Cotto all said the same thing- it wasn't his power it was just that he was so fast.

Funny...Oscar, Diaz and Cotto were all stopped.

I wonder if Ricky Hatton said the same thing..."he didn't hit that hard."

Its not really power that hurts you though. It doesn't really take bone crushing power to stop a guy. Speed is a big factor, getting the punch there before the brain can register that its coming.

I really don't recall Oscar being badly hurt by anyone one shot, he was getting broken down and eating many punches. Same with Diaz, Diaz got hit clean over and over again but it was the accumulation of punches that ended his night. Cotto got hurt with a shot he didn't see in an exchange, got hit clean all night and ended the night on his feet.

I really don't think those boxers meant any offense. They've all fought big hitters but no one can match Manny's speed.

Baldomir has a better resume than Clottey. Clottey's best win is Zab Judah, a guy Baldo beat when Zab was undisputed 147 pound champion.
Clottey fought a lot of guys but lost to all of them, I don't really count losses. Getting in the ring with Tony, Cotto , Pac etc is great but means nothing if they all beat you.

Baldomir was the lineal champ at 147. That one thing is more than Clottey can claim on his entire resume.

I'm guessing this is a Pac fought Clottey and Floyd fought Baldo argument more than a Baldo vs Clottey argument though.

I've already stated that I think Mayweather is the number 1 boxer, so no this isn't an argument about May vs Pac.

What I WAS saying is that having watched both Baldomir and Clottey, I think Clottey is the better boxer and would be a favourite to win had they fought in their primes. You don't count losses, that's fine, but I count what I see performance-wise and not just what I read. But since you're so big on resume's and records, why don't we just mention that Baldomir is 49-15-6 vs Clottey's 37-4-0. That's 15 losses

Its not really power that hurts you though. It doesn't really take bone crushing power to stop a guy. Speed is a big factor, getting the punch there before the brain can register that its coming.

I really don't recall Oscar being badly hurt by anyone one shot, he was getting broken down and eating many punches. Same with Diaz, Diaz got hit clean over and over again but it was the accumulation of punches that ended his night. Cotto got hurt with a shot he didn't see in an exchange, got hit clean all night and ended the night on his feet.

I really don't think those boxers meant any offense. They've all fought big hitters but no one can match Manny's speed.

I agree. It's more the suddenness in which he delivers his punches. And the angle, the first punch that dropped Cotto is from a weird angle that comes between punches.

He hasn't proved he is the better boxer.

You're right. Like I said it's in my opinion that if they fought prime for prime, Clottey would be the favourite and I think he would win, hence why I think he's the better boxer.

Dat speed and catching them off guard is serious business.

Manny hits plenty hard though.

Well for one the fight between Baldomir and Clottey showed who the better fighter was.

Indeed... it was the guy who won.

There's not a get out clause in boxing that says "it's OK to box well for most of the rounds in a bout and then mentally collapse under the pressure and quit" (which is what Clottey did... he was looking for a way out). Clottey being ahead and then falling apart mentally is no different to what he did against Margarito or Cotto.

2 Clottey was competitive with the best welters of his era.

And Baldomir beat the best welterweight of his era (remembering this was before Floyd had really established himself at the weight).

3 just look at their respective performances against Judah, Baldo barely got the dec while Clottey whuped him impressively, much moreso than Mayweather even.

"Whuped him impressively"? Clottey was at most a round or two ahead at the time of the stoppage. Moreover, the version of Judah Clottey beat hadn't won a significant bout in three years, was coming off two labored victories over journeymen and wasn't far removed from being demolished by Cotto. When Baldomir beat Judah, Judah was the 147lbs champion, was less than a year removed from his arguably career best win and performance and was a man being talked about as a legitimate and realistic threat to Floyd Mayweather.

Do you think that Timothy Bradley had a more impressive performance against Casamayor then Marquez?

I've heard of Hernandez and seen him fight several times. He was never anything special.

The guy beats Azumah Nelson despite being illegally punched in the throat after the bell and he's nothing special? Moreover rather than accept a DQ win he climbs back to his feet and keeps fighting because he wanted to win the title "the right way"... and he's nothing special?

And boxrec? LOL Kid, I've forgotten more about boxing than you'll ever know.

You've clearly forgotten a lot about boxing...

It doesn't even matter that Clottey may or may not be slightly better than Baldo. The guy says to Seano that comparing them was "a joke". Really? Clottey is out of Baldomir's league? Really? The fact is they're both B-/C+ level fighters. Neither one is clearly better than the other and arguing other wise for the sake of boosting a fighters resume is blatant fanboyism.

Really really is who cares?!

Let them fight and get it over with. Until then its all talk and no one can prove each other wise.

Floyd would be favored 65-70% but Manny has the best chance out of anyone 154 and under plus its still the biggest money fight by far out there in all combat sports.

Back