P4P best TJ in last 6yrs only has 2 losses, both split decision, one bad decision, one fifty/fifty

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ExitLUPin, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:41 PM.

1. JayE

JayE Black Belt

In the context of the time they can appear more impressive, but Cormier and Barao's relative p4p ratings at the time really doesn't tell the whole, or perhaps even much of the story. Again, the Barao performances are extremely impressive, but I find the gap in class between Cormier and Barao to be such that simply beating Cormier comes off more impressive. That's not to say that you can't compare the two, but beating a truly great fighter in a competitive fight tends to more impressive than beating a very good fighter in dominant fashion, at least in my eyes.

2. HueyLewisFan24

HueyLewisFan24 Blue Belt

Such a true comment. I didn't like him on the show either. He thought he should get easy fights because he was with TAM, was pretty smug, and incredibly raw. After he beat Barao forgot all of that and became a huge fan. He seems to have matured a lot since his time on TUF.

3. chaos_36

chaos_36 DOOM all capitals no trick spelling.

Why are people still arguing for Jones? The guy can't fight within the rule set. I was a huge Jones and Anderson fan but neither of them belong in the GOAT discussion anymore, if GSP, Fedor and Aldo all get popped then they're back in but until then they're both excluded indefinitely.

4. INTERL0PER

INTERL0PER Brown Belt

He's certainly up there.

I'd say that at the moment the top 5 are TJ, Whittaker, DC, DJ and Holloway. Honarable mentions to Cejudo, Romero and Khabib.

Frank McEdgar likes this.
  5. Danespina

Danespina Gold Belt

Marlon Moraes and Demetrious Johnson only have 1 split decision loss in last 6 years.

6. 84percentcool

84percentcool Black Belt

Right? Shit trips me out. He didn't even stand out during TUF.

7. Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

I don't echo the sentiment about the first Bones/DC fight. Jones had that in the bag after the first if I recall correctly.

8. JayE

JayE Black Belt

I would argue that Dillashaw's strength of schedule is clearly better than both (but I think Johnson's run does stand out in certain ways, as well). Still, it is good to see how well Moraes has done in the UFC, particularly after the significant skepticism he faced from UFC fans when he was in WSOF. Also, the loss he suffered against Assuncao was pretty close to a genuine robbery, whereas I don't think Dillashaw's loss against Assuncao was.

Danespina likes this.
  9. JayE

JayE Black Belt

It weakens my argument to say it, but he definitely didn't. Jones clearly lost the 2nd round, and there is a real argument to make that he lost the 3rd, as well. It was Cormier taking the 4th round off to try and recover his stamina that really changed the optics of that fight (Cormier clearly wasn't battle-tested enough in MMA at that point in time). Not a whole lot happened in the 5th, whatsoever, either, as both men looked gassed. Still, beating a guy like Cormier clearly, at all, is a massive accomplishment.

10. Substance Abuse

Now that I think about it, Jones won the first, lost the second and won the final three. I even think most media outlets only gave DC the second round, but I can't remember the website that shows all the media scores.

11. JayE

JayE Black Belt

http://mmadecisions.com/decision/5796/Jon-Jones-vs-Daniel-Cormier

I think there is a strong argument to give Cormier the 3rd, but not all media agrees with me. The fight was still looked at as up in the air going into the 4th. Credit to Jones that he showed more grit and stamina in the championship rounds.

Substance Abuse likes this.
  12. Danespina

Danespina Gold Belt

C.png

Substance Abuse likes this.
  13. Maori

Maori Purple Belt

Only became past prime blown up mws after jones destroyed them.

I remember shoguns crossover over to the ufc as the 2nd coming.

Its what happens though when you look at records and wiki and miss the context.

14. Blitzkrieg365

Blitzkrieg365 White Belt

He's P4P #1 in my opinion. The Cruz loss was bad judging, and he would whoop Cruz in a rematch. On his way back to the top he dominated Assuncao and Lineker when they themselves were destroying the division.

15. Substance Abuse