Oxfam: 'World's richest 1% get 82% of the wealth'

Panmisiek

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42745853

Also a question, what do you guys think about insanely rich people in the world?

Some people hate, some people admire. I stand somewhere in the middle.

People say 'they deserved it, they worked their ass off entire life'. Well, hard to argue with that. If you, me had billions, we would also feel good knowing that our hard work paid out.

What I don't understand however is what's the point hoarding all this wealth, when you not even using it? Means either spending, investing or giving away. I know, I know, its their money, they can do whatever they want to do, if they want to sleep on it, that's fine.

I am type of person that never collected things, I don't like collecting. Whenever I had some money, I put them to use. I don't even have saving account to begin with. I work for my money and I spend them. If I woke up tomorrow with $50 bils in bank account, 80% of it would be gone within 5 years. Personally I feel giving some small amount of money away in form of charities its a complete waste, but instead I would love to join other billionaires and use those money on some joint projects which could change people lives across the world, whether eradicate hunger or place millions of wind turbines across the world. Something significant where majority will benefit, not just single units.

The wealth this guys got can be put to use and change people lives, those are not peanuts guys. This is serious cash able to change the world. But instead its rotting on rich bank accounts just for the pleasure of seeing big numbers.

This is what I think about it.

I worry more about myself then a rich person I most likely won't ever interact with .

Worked their ass off, r u nuts, that 1% that you speak of has been passing down wealth forever, generation to generation..

Worked their ass off, r u nuts, that 1% that you speak of has been passing down wealth forever, generation to generation..

Find out how Bezos started his $110 bil crusade, then come back.

Their existence, or their personal lives, should not be of much concern to the public. The inert methods of accumulating that wealth (for some, not all), and the economic atrophy it represents, should. We tend to think of Jeff Bezos types (Bezi?) when we conceptualize the recipients of upward distributions of wealth, but they are certainly not the norm.

beh, you beat my thread by minutes :f

Find out how Bezos started his $110 bil crusade, then come back.

Kind of ironic. I didn't see this post before mine. Again, brilliant self-made billionaires like Bezos and Cuban are not typical.

Love that profile pic btw.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42745853

Also a question, what do you guys think about insanely rich people in the world?

Some people hate, some people admire. I stand somewhere in the middle.

People say 'they deserved it, they worked their ass off entire life'. Well, hard to argue with that. If you, me had billions, we would also feel good knowing that our hard work paid out.

What I don't understand however is what's the point hoarding all this wealth, when you not even using it? Means either spending, investing or giving away. I know, I know, its their money, they can do whatever they want to do, if they want to sleep on it, that's fine.

I am type of person that never collected things, I don't like collecting. Whenever I had some money, I put them to use. I don't even have saving account to begin with. I work for my money and I spend them. If I woke up tomorrow with $50 bils in bank account, 80% of it would be gone within 5 years. Personally I feel giving some small amount of money away in form of charities its a complete waste, but instead I would love to join other billionaires and use those money on some joint projects which could change people lives across the world, whether eradicate hunger or place millions of wind turbines across the world. Something significant where majority will benefit, not just single units.

The wealth this guys got can be put to use and change people lives, those are not peanuts guys. This is serious cash able to change the world. But instead its rotting on rich bank accounts just for the pleasure of seeing big numbers.

This is what I think about it.

Eliminate hunger ... if you give money/food to poor people, then you will end up with MORE poor people.

Is all of the wealth of the top 1% liquid assets? Or is it all wrapped up in stocks/shares?

Not necessarily, passed down wealth tends not to survive more than a few generations because eventually the money falls into the hands of an irresponsible retard.

Well duh. You got people worshiping sports athletes people blessed with elite genetics from birth who make insane money to do what come natural and easy. Then you got wealth handed down generation generation.

Communist revolution will probably happen one day

Their existence, or their personal lives, should not be of much concern to the public. The inert methods of accumulating that wealth (for some, not all), and the economic atrophy it represents, should. We tend to think of Jeff Bezos types (Bezi?) when we conceptualize the recipients of upward distributions of wealth, but they are certainly not the norm.

It more man as long as celeb culture and stuff exist especially in West you will have a underclass. That stuff is consumerist toxic. Same with paying athletes such insane pay. I actually sympathize with the hard working banker who not see sunset cause he at work all damn day. The Bezo types got insane power though.

Contrary to what gets parroted by the some, most rich people have actually worked extremely hard to make their money. They also in turn create wealth, jobs and stability for others, including ordinary people.

People who are automatically jealous and resentful towards rich people and seem to feel like they deserve to have their wealth forcibly taken from them, tend to be bitter losers. They dress it up as 'social justice' and equality but this is what it often boils down to.

Contrary to what gets parroted by the some, most rich people have actually worked extremely hard to make their money. They also in turn create wealth, jobs and stability for others, including ordinary people.

this is the issue:

Billionaire wealth has risen by an annual average of 13 per cent since 2010; six times faster than the wages of ordinary workers, which have risen by a yearly average of just two per cent. “The number of billionaires rose at an unprecedented rate of one every two days between March 2016 and March 2017

“It would cost 2.2 billion dollars a year to increase the wages of all 2.5 million Vietnamese garment workers to a living wage. “This is about a third of the amount paid out to wealthy shareholders by the top five companies in the garment sector in 2016,” the report stated.

you say rich people create weatlh and jobs - yeah, they create absolute minimum wealth for their workers and they're trying to cut down on jobs (minimum wages, work automation/AI/robots, evading paying taxes thru tax heavens)

point is, that billionares wealth has risen sharply and not in line with general publics wealth

I dont care how much you work (extremely hard) in life, at one point it becomes apsurd to be wealthy enough to buy another country and say its all cause you work hard (there are plenty of people that work hard and never gain so much money)

Back