Overwatch Official Discussion, v4: Doomfist Me, Daddy.. | Page 20

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by Arkridge, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Dinotective Twitch.tv/Dinotective

Dinotective
    Yup, MMR is definitely a thing and from what I've read and heard the devs and Lord Jeff is that these two numbers are supposed to be very close to each other. I would suspect that MMR might be a little more influenced by personal performance than SR, but as Blizz would never reveal exactly how these things are calculated, it might just be pointless to speculate. But all that aside, the point I was trying and failed to make, was that whatever system is being used to determine who you are matched with or against, it's just all numbers. Neither SR or MMR have any idea who wants to win, who's feeling cooperative, who's in a shitty mood, who feels like being selfish this match after a series of losses. That part of it definitely is just the odds working out that way.

If Captain Obvious did not heed the call, he would just be Mr Obvious. I hear ya though. I should've probably opened with "do you really think that?".

brb reprogramming self

2. bosox32 Brown Belt

bosox32
    Damn good shit bro.

You got tips for a sub 2000 player??

Dinotective likes this.
  3. bdreason Brown Belt

bdreason
    I've seen Dino play Lucio and Zen. He's really good. Aims better than I do on PC.

I'm not really playing much lately. Just burned out. I hop on and play PTR or QP occasionally. Haven't even done my placements yet.

Dinotective likes this.
  4. Dinotective Twitch.tv/Dinotective

Dinotective
    Thanks, man. I can only tell you what worked for me. Number #1 on the list is "it's always my fault". Every time you get killed, take a moment to think about why it happened and how it could've been prevented. Maybe your positioning was off or you took a duel you shouldn't have or you used an ability when you didn't really need to, so it wasn't available when you really needed it. Sometimes there's really not much that could've been done, but it keeps you from falling into the mindset of dismissing every death with "THAT WAS BULLSHIT!". Even if your team is playing terribly and making awful decisions and performing poorly, focus only on what YOU can do to maximize your contribution and give your team a better chance.

#2 on the list of what helped me is reviewing my own gameplay. That's the sole reason I started my shitty twitch stream in the first place: so I could go back later and pick apart my decision-making once I was no longer in the heat of the moment. It made scenarios more familiar and helped me respond better when they came up again.

Thirdly, there are some really good OW youtube content creators (and also a LOT of bad ones). The two I swear by are Skyline and OneAmongstMany. Skyline is more about concepts (positioning, angles, sightlines, etc) and OneAmongstMany does a series called "Coaching The Many" where he reviews player-submitted VODs. I don't know who you play, but I think he's done several on every character already. Just search "OneAmongstMany Zarya" or whoever you play and there's bound to be at least a few come up. Not only is there a lot to learn from his review of that particular match, but it'll also help you better understand what you're seeing and what to look for when reviewing your own VODs.

VODs can be a very time-consuming approach, but I don't think anything else has the potential to be as helpful. So investing that time should definitely pay dividends and make your playtime more productive and enjoyable. It's just a matter of how much time you're willing to put into it.

I'm no top 500 GM, but I did grind my way up from low Gold and touched Master a couple of times, so hopefully some of this can be helpful to you as well.

bosox32 and Corona like this.
  5. Dinotective Twitch.tv/Dinotective

Dinotective
    If anyone is wondering, yes, bdreason is my alt account.

But seriously, thanks dude. That's a really cool thing to read and brightens the day up.

And I totally get the burnout thing. I was pretty much burnt out through all of S5 but kept grinding away anyway. I don't know if I just had too hard of a time adapting to the dive meta or what, but that was probably my least enjoyable season. But at least this one's getting off to a better start.

Gonna drop you a follow and if you get back into OW and streaming I'll definitely stop by. Definitely enjoyed it the couple of times I checked you out all those months ago.

6. bdreason Brown Belt

bdreason
    You're my witness that I played Winston before it was cool to play Winston.

Corona likes this.
  7. Dinotective Twitch.tv/Dinotective

Dinotective
    Totally. You were on him well before his barrier was changed to start the cooldown at activation.

8. Mondo Freaks Yeezy Season 4

Mondo Freaks
    Oasis:
    We had a Zarya which was me, Hanzo, Lucio, Zen, Pharah, Tracer. I was the only tank. Fine, 1 tank and 3 dps is kinda meta, so I dont complain. We are on the level where there is a hole in the middle on the objective point. I go in and start charging my bubble, the other team is all there, basically im fighting them 1 v 6 while my team is flanking and dying. Well, I get my shit pushed in and we regroup. I tell them to help out on the point. Same thing happens. Im looking around to bubble a teammate but they are jerking off somewhere else. Come to find that they were all chasing a pharah and dying by not being map aware. I dont even care that we have one tank, but be smart enough to know that the whole enemy team is fighting on the point and flanking one pharah isnt doing shit.

9. Dinotective Twitch.tv/Dinotective

Dinotective
    My Pharah troubles are usually the opposite; none of our hitscans (if we even have one) so much as glance in her direction.

method115 likes this.
  10. GSP4tw Brown Belt

GSP4tw
    Those are the two mentalities of dealing with Pharah on full display. I love the feeling when you're solo tank, or support, and you have a Tracer, Genji, and Junkrat and you know there is a Pharah coming out on the other team to just destroy your miserable team comp lol.

SleepyBoy likes this.
  11. SleepyBoy Silver Belt

SleepyBoy
    I can't wait for the mercys rework to hit the consoles.

Half the games are 5 different heros plus a mandatory Mercy. If you pick a healer first other than Mercy, people will still pick 3-4 dps and expect you to switch off the other Healer to Mercy.
    I was playing a game and I begrudgingly played the dumb angel ho for the first round pushing the pay load. The second round I instalocked rein and the team start throwing because I wouldn't be their little bitch and play mercy the whole game so they can have way too many ineffective dps for one team
    Of course none of them offered to play Mercy.

I am done with her. If she ever enters my top five most played, my teammates will expect me to play her every game.
    And I have no clue how to play her. In order to get good at her I would have to read guides and watch vids, and that sounds like work for something I didn't want to do in the first place.

Playing a healer is just too annoying, I get harassed to switch to mercy almost every time.

I might have to switch to instalock, no-mic having dps until the rework goes live.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  12. Davey Crockett 5 Time European Champions

Davey Crockett
    [​IMG]

SleepyBoy likes this.
  13. GSP4tw Brown Belt

GSP4tw
    I have no idea how many people I've told to switch to Mercy if they want one. I'm pretty laid back most of the time, especially on mic towards my teammates(I'll 'babysit' if I have to), but if there's one thing that sends me hurtling towards tilt it's being a solo healer and then them expecting me to play Mercy.

I had a game today where I had three people instalock dps and then immediately leave voice channel. That always bodes well. Then after we lost(of course we did), the guy who instalocked Soldier and got shit on by a Pharah the whole match rejoined voice and screamed that we all sucked. Fast forward to next match, he's on my team again and of course he instalocks dps again. He does equally shitty this time but I popped off as Zarya so I had to shit talk him after the match was over. Felt good.

SleepyBoy likes this.
  14. method115 Steel Belt

method115
    Ok well it's official. I've tested it out and for some reason taking a break in between games increases my chances of winning many games in a row substantially. I noticed this last season and worked my way up from 1600 to 2083.

This season I did my placement matches like normally just played as much as I could and ended up with 1880. Played lots of games in a row and dropped as low as 1550. Couldn't get up from that point I'd win than lose rinse and repeat. Well I then started getting on winning a game then taking a break and going to do other things and coming back like 15 mins later. I'd win again. I'm up to 1700 SR right now doing that and even when I lose it's very close games and I have good teammates as well.

I've tried to figure out why this is but can't find any information.

15. OvaryHugger Let's Palaver!

OvaryHugger
    Next week we are getting the constantly rezzing mercy,macross frontier robo D.Va, Junkertown and a lot more.

Also Halloween event starts sometime mid of next month hopefully.

SleepyBoy and method115 like this.
  16. method115 Steel Belt

method115
    Nice Halloween had my favorite skins so far easily. I hope they put something new out for Rein. Although not sure if anything will top my all black Rein with Golden Axe. Everyone compliments me on the combo when they see it.

OvaryHugger likes this.
  17. OvaryHugger Let's Palaver!

OvaryHugger
    Halloween has maybe the best skins for every character,

Look at Ana's skin, it's the only one that makes the hag seem cool lol.

SleepyBoy likes this.
  18. method115 Steel Belt

method115
    Wow I don't think I've ever seen that one. Most Ana's I see have the standard skin or the one with the beret.

19. OvaryHugger Let's Palaver!

OvaryHugger
    Yeah her ghoul skin is awesome imo and rare, Muhaha I'll be buying it for 250 gold this time since it's just an epic skin

[​IMG]

method115 likes this.
  20. method115 Steel Belt

method115
    I don't even use Ana but I might start once I get this skin. She's one of those characters who is way better if you can jump around and shoot at the same time though and I hate doing that.