Overeem started working on cardio!!! **Breaking**

High exertion cardio like sprinting is a lot more applicable to MMA than jogging a few miles. Take some guy who can jog a marathon and have him try to wrestle for a few minutes, he will gas in no time.

you have to do both, if you train just sprints you will gas like Overeem because your cardio isn't good enough, if you train only marathons then then you won't be able to handle the high level of exertion.

You need to train both anaerobic and aerobic for MMA and boxing.
But with Overeem it isn't an training issue and only for a small part because of his size he has just shitty cardio genetically. He had bad cardio at 205, he had bad cardio when he was a 240lbs HW and he has bad cardio now.
What he needs to do is to learn to pace himself more he mustn't go all out like he did vs Browne his cardio just isn't good enough he needs to fight at a steady pace. He can do it in many of his K-1 fights he does exactly that he paces himself because he knows he gasses but for whatever reason he fought very unintelligently in his last 2 fights

Overeem will do anything to get his photo taken, even cardio work

When you have shitty cardio, the key is to pace yourself. He has horrible fight IQ, a lot of it probably stemming from overconfidence

he have always done sprints.. just watch the reem series..

Lets be real. This fight is all about if Mir can survive the first minute. If he can hes got this by KO. I don't think he can.

you have to do both, if you train just sprints you will gas like Overeem because your cardio isn't good enough, if you train only marathons then then you won't be able to handle the high level of exertion.

very interesting question....would a good marathon runner get up to his max heart rate very fast in an mma match?

a decent to good runner clocks 26 miles at 6 to 7 min pace. I think the training is VERY different but I can't see them just flat out gassing either, at least not right away.

Last edited:
High exertion cardio like sprinting is a lot more applicable to MMA than jogging a few miles. Take some guy who can jog a marathon and have him try to wrestle for a few minutes, he will gas in no time.

It's different for everyone, there's no one size fits all approach to endurance training for MMA. Everybody jumped on the HIIT bandwagon a few years back though like it was the only thing that matters. Intervals aren't the end all be all for cardio training, there's a reason that fighters are still gassing out to an embarrassing degree on a regular basis.

All I see is overeem in sandals at the beach with massive biceps.

Is it unusual for Overeem to do that? Because if it isn't, how do you know that he's working more on his cardio than usual just because he's doing sprints in the morning? I'm pretty sure Reem has always trained cardio, just not enough.

I want him back on the horse meat. I want K1 Reem back

he did sprints back when he won k1 too.. think he's been doing them all the time

I can see the reem coming back, not contention but being a having a couples wins

This is likely something he does to prep for every fight.

I want him back on the horse meat. I want K1 Reem back

K1 Reem was a fucking killer. His standup was straight up dangerous. When he hit people they went OUT. It's too bad he hasn't brought that power, speed, and ferocity with him over to the UFC. He seems slower and hits with good power rather than devastating power. The rules had something to do with it though also. The K1 rules might as well have been designed by AO. They were tailor made for his fighting style.

He would have to fundamentally transform his body composition to experience a drastic change in cardio.

Back