Over Rotating When Getting Leverage into Punches

are you twisting your hips first before using your feet?

No but I literally just tried it out and it felt more powerful, but I can't tell if that's just because its a new movement that I'm not quite as in control of. My friend let me punch him lightly in the belly with both and said foot first felt harder

No but I literally just tried it out and it felt more powerful, but I can't tell if that's just because its a new movement that I'm not quite as in control of. My friend let me punch him lightly in the belly with both and said foot first felt harder
I would assume so. I always like to think of energy transfer in a punch being similar to a whip. The initial movement comes from the base of the whip and the kinetic chain moves up to the tip. All the moving components add to the overall impact in the end.

When moving just the hip first, I think of it similar to just cracking a whip while holding it at it's halfway point. It's missing a component of the energy transfer from the lower half of the whip. Similar to to twisting the hips first. It's missing a component of the force generated from the feet. Every micro movement you manage to produce in a chain will contribute to it's overall kinetic energy.

I would assume so. I always like to think of energy transfer in a punch being similar to a whip. The initial movement comes from the base of the whip and the kinetic chain moves up to the tip. All the moving components add to the overall impact in the end.

When moving just the hip first, I think of it similar to just cracking a whip while holding it at it's halfway point. It's missing a component of the energy transfer from the lower half of the whip. Similar to to twisting the hips first. It's missing a component of the force generated from the feet. Every micro movement you manage to produce in a chain will contribute to it's overall kinetic energy.

Thank you and @Dismas for the advice :) it has actually helped a lot. I'm still not sure I understand the 'falling' that @Sano describes though, but I guess that's just another piece to add :)

It depends, sometimes it'll be pointing at my opponent, sometimes it'd be vaguely in the direction of their left shoulder

And why do you feel this is a problem? Are you not getting good zingers out of your punches ?

This toturial by Cerrone is interesting, around the 5:30 mark he goes into getting power in the cross. He has a drill/trick for getting used to the "falling" into a punch and whatnot

This toturial by Cerrone is interesting, around the 5:30 mark he goes into getting power in the cross. He has a drill/trick for getting used to the "falling" into a punch and whatnot

That seems very similar to what Jack Dempsey talks about in Championship Fighting. Where he 'falls' into it. It looks the same to my eyes, but someone else might be able to correct me if it is different.

Back