"Outside Quarter Guard" ?

peidro223

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
ive been looking for some reversals/attacks from the quarter guard but 99% of the videos on YouTube are from what I call "3/4 mount". To me 3/4 mount is either when an opponent has mostly completed a mount from half guard or more often when you have only partially escaped the mount. Basically you've captured one of your opponents ankles between your thighs while being mounted.

Alternatively "quarter guard" is basically when your opponent has mostly completed a knee slice pass to side control and you are holding on to his near side ankle with your thighs. Is this more of an "outside quarter guard" ?

Anyone have thoughts on the terminology or attacka from this position?

I'm only a four stripe white belt, so take it fwiw, but I saw the following on You Tube. It has worked a number of times (albeit against other whites.

Assumptions: 1) your partner is slicing to your right. 2) your right side is on the mat.

As your partner slides, get your right forearm under his knee. In effect, he'll be sliding from your leg on to your forearm.

Reach around his back with your left arm to grab his belt. The farther the better. His right arm should be inside your left arm. He's probably grabbing your lapel, anyways.

Pull him towards your head by the belt and roll to your left. He should hit the mat with you in side control.

If you have quarter guard, you can sometimes do a little hip switch to get under them and roll them over, but I don't like it because it puts a lot of spazzy pressure on their leg.

ive been looking for some reversals/attacks from the quarter guard but 99% of the videos on YouTube are from what I call "3/4 mount". To me 3/4 mount is either when an opponent has mostly completed a mount from half guard or more often when you have only partially escaped the mount. Basically you've captured one of your opponents ankles between your thighs while being mounted.

Alternatively "quarter guard" is basically when your opponent has mostly completed a knee slice pass to side control and you are holding on to his near side ankle with your thighs. Is this more of an "outside quarter guard" ?

Anyone have thoughts on the terminology or attacka from this position?

I had a thread a couple weeks ago about shin-on-shin guard (aka Michele Nicolini guard), which is an awesome attack from this position. I'm still mastering the finer details, but basically when the opponent is in that 'almost knee slice' spot you bring your outside shin under theirs, shoot your hips under, and elevate up and over your shoulder like a butterfly sweep. If the gi, pull the opponents collar in the sweeping direction, if no gi try to push against the near armpit or rib. The other arm should be overlooking the slicing leg, preferably deep and tight enough to help block the knee from touching the mat. Most important thing is that the knee cannot touch the mat, so reinforce this with both hands if necessary then attack once things are stabilized.

This move is also a good single x entry.

Google "Knee Cup Half Guard" and you will find an 18 min YouTube video covering the exact position you are referring to.

a couple of options from Gordo from 54:30

and a different view:

This is one of my fav positions from bottom and i have a whole set of techniques from there. The most important thing first of all is to not give up the underhook because thats game over. I usually keep my hand close to my hips and squeeze my arm against my body so the opponent cant push there hand trough for a underhook. After that i lift my top leg so that my knee pushes the opponents ass and i try to get him of balance so he has to get his balance by putting his hands on the ground. At the same time i want to shrimp out a little bit too. Now depending on his reaction and how much i got under him i can usually pick between 3 techniques. The best option is trying to get the underhook and work for a old school sweep ore a back take. The second best is turning on youre knees and holding on to his leg and going for a single leg whitout never allowing him to completely standing up. The last option is to go for deep half but i dont really have a good deep half so i dont like it.
Often when they understand that they are in trouble in this position they try to go to the otherside but you can stop that whit youre top leg and shrimp deeper under them ore let them go over where i have more traps waiting for them;) Hope this made any sense, its kind of hard trying to explain this in Engilsh for me.

Gui Mendes says that once he gets his knee to the mat, it's all over for you. I've seen clips of him sparring, that knee kick in his butt doesn't stop his knee slide. He'll post real quick and recover. He knows it's coming. Neither does grabbing his leg. Neither does reaching between his legs and grabbing a lapel - he'll reset and recut on you.

What the mendesbros recommend instead is to 1. stop them from getting there in the first place with RDLR and 2. Escaping the half guard if you sense they're about to get the knee on the ground.

Back