Outliving Everyone Around You?

Orgasmo

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I visited my grandpa last week, and hung out with him for a bit. To be honest, I haven't visited my grandpa as often as I should considering he helped raise me when I was a kid. He's been living alone for over 10 years now after my grandma passed away in 2007, and he's turning 89 this year. During our conversation last week, I get the feeling that he feels quite lonely despite my parents visiting him regularly.

Basically he used to be an extremely sociable guy with large number of friends. He also attended his university's alumni society's gatherings often, but this year he told me that there were barely enough classmates from his graduation year left. Since they could barely put together a table, they might just cancel the gathering next year. Most of his friends have mobility/health issues that prevent them from going out, and only a few are left. Hearing that made me feel all sorts of shitty.

Have you ever given any thought to how you'd live if you outlasted your spouse and most of your friends? It's gotta be a lonely existence.

I'm getting to that point where everyone I know that is my age is dying.

My grandfather outlived everyone he knew except for us descendants. After my grandma died, he was just never himself. He was really lonely without her. When he would drink too much, he would get all existential and morbid.

One Thanksgiving, we were talking about how he lived so long (I think he was 96 or 97 at the time) and he was just like "yeah, but what's the point?"

I'm 35 and I've already outlived a number of my friends. But I kind of already saw that coming with my group of friends.

Man I'm only 29 and have outlived a large number of my friends and close relatives. But as young as I am I feel all sorts of fucked up. Hopefully I live long enough to at least see 40.

I'm all alone now.

r7roWaT.gif

I'm fine with outliving everyone except my children, that would be terrifying actually.

My health sucks, so I doubt I'll outlive the 4 or so people I actually care about.

This type of thing is exactly why they're discussing allowing euthanasia for people without severe health issues above the age of 75 in the Netherlands.

Virtually all of my friends have gotten married and died a little bit inside, so in that respect I guess I outlasted them all.

i dont care to live past 65. your dick stops working. everybody around you is dead or sick or you could be sick yourself. life is just like a rewind with daily routines and such meaning it's boring. you've done it all and seen it all. that's why death is sometimes the cure to life.

If you don't engage with society and make new friends as you get older, allowing yourself to become isolated, you may well end up feeling lonely.

What do we do about this? Is it a foregone conclusion? Hmmmmm I wonder..

I visited my grandpa last week, and hung out with him for a bit. To be honest, I haven't visited my grandpa as often as I should considering he helped raise me when I was a kid. He's been living alone for over 10 years now after my grandma passed away in 2007, and he's turning 89 this year. During our conversation last week, I get the feeling that he feels quite lonely despite my parents visiting him regularly.

Basically he used to be an extremely sociable guy with large number of friends. He also attended his university's alumni society's gatherings often, but this year he told me that there were barely enough classmates from his graduation year left. Since they could barely put together a table, they might just cancel the gathering next year. Most of his friends have mobility/health issues that prevent them from going out, and only a few are left. Hearing that made me feel all sorts of shitty.

Have you ever given any thought to how you'd live if you outlasted your spouse and most of your friends? It's gotta be a lonely existence.
I'll be OK with being alone, but that's just the way it's always been. My whole world was my room as a kid, but you can have everything you need in the world in one room. I have a few friends and am married, but being alone is what I gravitate to. I know it's different when you're REALLY, LITERALLY alone, but I expect that as long as I have a home and food to eat that I'll be OK if I end up alone.

I've got longevity in the family on my Dad's side, both his parents lived into their 90s, but more remarkably both his grandfathers (my great-grandfathers) did as well, and that was in the 1960s, which was quite the feat then. I worry that I'll outlive my wife y 15 years. But we have kids, so I hope they'll still love and respect me when I'm in my 90s and they're in their 60s and won't leave me alone to rot.

Man I'm only 29 and have outlived a large number of my friends and close relatives. But as young as I am I feel all sorts of fucked up. Hopefully I live long enough to at least see 40.

Why are so many people in your life dying at a young age?

Why are so many people in your life dying at a young age?
A couple of murders, two suicides and a drug overdose.All childhood friends. All these experiences made me change myself.Now I only want to be surrended by positive people.

A couple of murders, two suicides and a drug overdose.All childhood friends. All these experiences made me change myself.Now I only want to be surrended by positive people.

Damn, what neighborhood are you from?

Damn, what neighborhood are you from?
Eastside of bakersfield California. This place is a piece of shit. As soon as I'm done with school I'm out of here.

Back