Outer pecs

tuco1808

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have good chest strength and separation of pecs but the outer pics (by my armpits) are flaccid and unimpressive. Are there any exercises I can do specifically to tone this area?

Thanks

Now we're getting somewhere!

outer pecks require a lot of work. You can look up Trent Dassuzo's - Splitting the Pecks. He's done a lot of work breaking down the pecks into their individual fibres and showing you the exercises he uses to blast every single one. Its a pretty extensive list with lots of different angles. When I did it I had to give in a get the axillary protractor set to make sure my angles were on point. Good luck man...

The trainer I remember who really emphasized outer pecs was Vince Gironda.

He didn't like to separate the pecks though. He wanted one large muscle, whereas TS wants to build sections of his pecks. The outer area is pretty elusive, you have to have really good body sense to know when that area is firing. Which is why Trent advocated for working out at night when its quieter so he can hear it clearly.

Flies, dips, wide grip bench.

What's your bf%. You might have some definition hiding

I've heard nothing but good things about his books, but almost $30 for a 64 page book is crazy.

Can't you just summarize it for us?

Trent's writing is rudimentary at best and he uses crayons to illustrate his movements, and the fact its in a duo tang is a little surprising, but it's his pursuit of purely anecdotal research results that sets it apart. A completely subjective view of pec training was a fresh outlook when so many people want to overuse old school, data driven, academic research hocus-pocus.

His focus, like I mentioned is to separate all the fibres of the pectoral region. He's developed a system called "angled targeting" which he discusses in the second paragraph to target these fibres. Hitting each with its own movement. There's an extensive list. He's even tabbed his book using coloured binder separators to identify each section of the pec. UPPER, DOWNER, OUTER, INNER. Kind of cool that he uses downer and not lower. He's pretty unique like that.

He often refers to "axillary protracting," which is just a fancy name for sticking this contraption under your armpit to help with angling. I gave in and bought his device, but you can easily make one using a spring hinge, a large wooden elementary school protractor and a couple of hockey sticks.

He forgoes contemporary rep and set application and advocates for lots of volume under maximal loads. you often need spotters, which can be a limitation to some, but he gave us this super slick tip to attract peoples' attention in the gym. I won't give anything away but it has people running to you in no time. HINT: He loves a certain movie about a certain man raised by a certain kind of ancient human relative...

MoM, I have the PDF version if you want it. And I can send the blueprints for the axillary protractor to your zip drive, if you want.

"I get a lot of static over my claim that the bench press is all for the front deltoid. A lot of guys have built big chests with the bench press, but I don’t see much impressiveness in spite of the size. I prefer the collar-to-collar grip neck press. Lower the bar down to the neck instead of the chest. Of course, the famous Gironda dips using a wide grip on a "V" dipping bar. I still maintain this is the best movement for developing the outer pec line.

I also recommend doing decline pulls with cables. The outer areas of the chest are activated, creating a greater waist to chest taper, with well-developed and shaped outer pecs. The press to the neck, "V" dipping bar dips performed properly, and decline cable pulls will produce the best in all around development."

-- Excerpt from Vince Gironda's book Building Legendary Muscles

Vince himself:

The-Gironda-System.jpg

So basically you're going to want to wide grip everything. Here's how you will bench from now on:

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAXyAAAAJDg1Y2JhMDQ5LTA0OTMtNGQ5OS05Yjc2LTE1YTFmNjc3NjlmZg.jpg

And here's how you'll deadlift:

Reeves-Deadlift_zps006dcb1b.jpg

...and so on.

Last edited:
Trent's writing is rudimentary at best and he uses crayons to illustrate his movements, and the fact its in a duo tang is a little surprising, but it's his pursuit of purely anecdotal research results that sets it apart. A completely subjective view of pec training was a fresh outlook when so many people want to overuse old school, data driven, academic research hocus-pocus.

His focus, like I mentioned is to separate all the fibres of the pectoral region. He's developed a system called "angled targeting" which he discusses in the second paragraph to target these fibres. Hitting each with its own movement. There's an extensive list. He's even tabbed his book using coloured binder separators to identify each section of the pec. UPPER, DOWNER, OUTER, INNER. Kind of cool that he uses downer and not lower. He's pretty unique like that.

He often refers to "axillary protracting," which is just a fancy name for sticking this contraption under your armpit to help with angling. I gave in and bought his device, but you can easily make one using a spring hinge, a large wooden elementary school protractor and a couple of hockey sticks.

He forgoes contemporary rep and set application and advocates for lots of volume under maximal loads. you often need spotters, which can be a limitation to some, but he gave us this super slick tip to attract peoples' attention in the gym. I won't give anything away but it has people running to you in no time. HINT: He loves a certain movie about a certain man raised by a certain kind of ancient human relative...

MoM, I have the PDF version if you want it. And I can send the blueprints for the axillary protractor to your zip drive, if you want.
You just became my favorite poster.

"I get a lot of static over my claim that the bench press is all for the front deltoid. A lot of guys have built big chests with the bench press, but I don’t see much impressiveness in spite of the size. I prefer the collar-to-collar grip neck press. Lower the bar down to the neck instead of the chest. Of course, the famous Gironda dips using a wide grip on a "V" dipping bar. I still maintain this is the best movement for developing the outer pec line.

I also recommend doing decline pulls with cables. The outer areas of the chest are activated, creating a greater waist to chest taper, with well-developed and shaped outer pecs. The press to the neck, "V" dipping bar dips performed properly, and decline cable pulls will produce the best in all around development."

-- Excerpt from Vince Gironda's book Building Legendary Muscles

Vince himself:

The-Gironda-System.jpg

So basically you're going to want to wide grip everything. Here's how you will bench from now on:

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAXyAAAAJDg1Y2JhMDQ5LTA0OTMtNGQ5OS05Yjc2LTE1YTFmNjc3NjlmZg.jpg

And here's how you'll deadlift:

Reeves-Deadlift_zps006dcb1b.jpg

...and so on.
Say goodbye to shoulder health

Say goodbye to shoulder health
Sadly, back in Vince's day, many died from shoulder injuries. But you have to be willing to risk it all if you want true outer pec greatness.

Most excellent.

Top marks Nurse

Back