Outdoor pets in winter

lmao @ keeping animals out at that temperature. Sometimes I feel bad for my dog when I leave him outside and it only drops to around 50 here.

I saw an episode of Pitbulls and Paroles where they were concerned about a dog being out in the cold in New Orleans and I thought WTF?

My husky wants to be inside in the AC in the summer.

I had a long haired German Shepherd who came with my wife from England to the eastern North Carolina in August. We had to crank the A/C beyond all belief to keep that poor dog from over-heating. Took him a while to acclimatize but that first few months was just brutal for him.

People are less hard on people too. Its only been 80 years since the stoppage of using child labor and letting homeless children parish on the street. Are those the proper conduct we should be applying to humans too?

Maybe you're not totally getting my point and you're being pretty hyperbolic. What I'm saying is we've domesticated ourselves physically and mentally to the point to where a lot of us feel like we are fragile creatures and we've projected that onto our pets.

There are a lot of physical things people will say "man, I don't know if I could do that" when it's something we are totally designed for. A 10k for example, people train for those, and if you plan on running the entire way, sure I get it. The idea of having to train to move your body 6+ miles when humans are built to run/jog/walk long distances is kinda sad. The idea that people have issues with a dog the is a mix of two breeds SPECIFICALLY designed to endure frigid temperatures sleeping outside is kinda sad, too. I'm not saying all dogs should just be left outside, all I'm saying is that it is really no big deal at all if they have to be for some reason (see story below)... and comparing this to homeless children dying in the streets pretty much solidifies my point.

I was raised probably more "old school' then most people and our dogs were always outside winter or not and they were always fine. Sometimes when they would sleep outside when it was snowing they would get completely buried in snow even though they always had assess to a dog house.

I'm with you, man. I grew up in rural Tennessee in the 80s/90s and most people didn't bring their large dogs in and somehow none of them were freezing to death.

I had a Husky in my youth that lived to be about 10-11 and she came inside 1 day a year on the 4th of July because she was afraid of the fireworks. 364 days a year she may as well had been a feral animal. She actually didn't have a dog house, because she would never use the one we got her at first. I'm sure most these days would say this is irresponsible, but she was free roaming. She got to live a real dog's life: running through fields, hunting and fishing (yes, fishing), just free to do her thing whenever she pleased. I regret nothing about that. I treat dogs like what they are: companions, not fur babies. I also, don't project my desires or needs onto them.

I think we all get caught up in trying to reaffirm our points of view. You make a great point, it's just that just because something can or is designed to do something with duress -- it doesn't mean it HAS to. Further, if someone's asking how best to mitigate harsh circumstances what's the point in belaboring against the original intent? Just because people have a different approach doesn't make you wrong, let's be honest.

Well, my post really wasn't aimed at TS. I get his concern, all I'm doing is letting him know from experience that he doesn't have to worry.

The rest of what I'm saying is basically social commentary based on things I've noticed in some people. You use the word duress, well, I'd say a little duress is good for everything and everyone, but as far as this situation goes as an example, I see it like this: a basically hairless human, with it's tall, elongated body that is at 98.6* says it's cold, then looks over to this compactly built, furry, dog, with it's 101* temperature and says "he must be cold, too". Maybe, he isn't? Then there's the fact that he has a dogloo, which is designed to retain heat like an igloo. To be honest, a heated dog bed might be overkill and uncomfortable.

...and I never said anyone was wrong.

Thanks for reading.

That's the opposite of what I meant. I meant that YOU are not wrong because of your different approach. Because you keep at it, though, it makes it seem like you feel your approach is threatened -- that you may think others are saying you're wrong -- you're not.

Oh, I got you...and the reason I keep going is two-fold: 1.) if you look at my post count and join date, you can see that I rarely post, so when I actually feel the need to, I'm all in and I like discussing differing opinions. I may not post in another thread for weeks or months. 2.) Kind of relating back to #1, there are only a few thread subjects I'm drawn to like a moth to a flame, with animals/dogs (I work with them) and relationship issues leading the way, haha.

The dog will probably be fine with a door and some straw. He might even kick the straw out depending on how hot he gets. Had horses, cows, dogs when growing up, they really don't need as much help in the winter as most people think

Give them to someone that can properly look after them.

Unless you are going to invest in a thick shed for them to sleep in, then I'd advise you to hand them over. A plastic tub simply isn't enough for a domesticated animal, let alone one that is used to the warmth of a house.

With the cat I'd worry about it crawling up on a tire as cats tend to do in the winter, then getting ran over s: kinda hard to control that so idk.

I'm with you, man. I grew up in rural Tennessee in the 80s/90s and most people didn't bring their large dogs in and somehow none of them were freezing to death.
Well thats because you lived in Tennessee. Tennessee does not get as cold as Timmins Ontario and people still leave their dog outside there. But the dog lives it just doesnt live as long. And it isnt just cold that kills the dog and reduces its life but the fact that it lives on a chain, is not regularly fed and gets no physical exercise ever. But still living outside is part of that and dogs in the wild dont live that long. So for all your attempt at saying its normal for a dog to live outside, okay but its also normal for dogs to die significantly earlier than dogs that live indoors with people. So it really depends how you view your dog and what you want out of your time with it. Is it just a dog or is it a campanion you want living the maximum lifespan? If its the latter leaving it outside by itself with reduced movement will kill them a lot sooner. Im not saying its not normal for a dog to live outside but youre also missing the fact that then its not unusual for an outdoor dog to die significantly sooner than one that is "so domesticated" and coddled from things like the outdoors.

Give them to someone that can properly look after them.

Unless you are going to invest in a thick shed for them to sleep in, then I'd advise you to hand them over. A plastic tub simply isn't enough for a domesticated animal, let alone one that is used to the warmth of a house.
The tub is lined with home insulation and filled with straw. It's not just a bare plastic tub like you're implying, presumably for the purpose of lecturing me even if you're wrong. Lecture better! You are a bad lecturer.

We have allergies in the house now, and the animals are spending their first full winter outside. A long hair tabby cat and a labernese (choco lab + bernese). We're getting our first nights down around zero this week, and I was wondering if you guys had suggestions or experience with this.

The dog looks like a choco lab, but with the bernese in him, his coat is much thicker than most labs, so I think he'll be okay. I've got a pre-fab doghouse nothing special, and I filled it up with straw and covered the door opening so he can still go in and out.

The cat is in a plastic tub on top of the dog house. I wrapped up a bunch of old insulation and lined the walls and floor of it, and added some straw for him too. I think I have a decent setup, but I don't know anything about outdoor pets in the cold- they have always been house pets for me.

Any tips or something I'm not considering? I use an electric water bowl I got from a farm supply company and it's the best 20 bucks I've ever spent.

A Plastic tub. Where does heat go? It rises. No roof = no warmth, no way to trap warm air. Your cat will freeze.

You don't have a laundry room or something you can shut them in overnight so their hair doesn't get through the house? Something that opens up to the outside. A cat is fairly small which means they can't regulate their body heat as well as a larger animal. Their pads have no protection from frost so if they have to leave the.....'plastic tub' you kindly provided for 0 degree weather they can get frostbite. Cats ears have hardly any fur and can get frostbite. Plastic is a terrible insulator, you should get something more like a wood rabbit hutch for the cat and then insulate that.

More concerned about the cat than the dog but weather that cold is no fun for any domesticated animal. If the doghouse is plastic as well then that's going to be fairly useless too.

Source: Lived in Scotland for a long time and sometimes retards around would leave their cats outside and would come back to a cat shaped doorstop. Sounds like you're going to end up with one too. Plastic tub for zero. Jesus fuckin christ.

A Plastic tub. Where does heat go? It rises. No roof = no warmth, no way to trap warm air. Your cat will freeze.

You don't have a laundry room or something you can shut them in overnight so their hair doesn't get through the house? Something that opens up to the outside. A cat is fairly small which means they can't regulate their body heat as well as a larger animal. Their pads have no protection from frost so if they have to leave the.....'plastic tub' you kindly provided for 0 degree weather they can get frostbite. Cats ears have hardly any fur and can get frostbite. Plastic is a terrible insulator, you should get something more like a wood rabbit hutch for the cat and then insulate that.

More concerned about the cat than the dog but weather that cold is no fun for any domesticated animal. If the doghouse is plastic as well then that's going to be fairly useless too.

Source: Lived in Scotland for a long time and sometimes retards around would leave their cats outside and would come back to a cat shaped doorstop. Sounds like you're going to end up with one too. Plastic tub for zero. Jesus fuckin christ.
Tub have roof. Roof & walls be insulated with home insulation. Relax, drama queen.

Well thats because you lived in Tennessee. Tennessee does not get as cold as Timmins Ontario and people still leave their dog outside there. But the dog lives it just doesnt live as long. And it isnt just cold that kills the dog and reduces its life but the fact that it lives on a chain, is not regularly fed and gets no physical exercise ever. But still living outside is part of that and dogs in the wild dont live that long. So for all your attempt at saying its normal for a dog to live outside, okay but its also normal for dogs to die significantly earlier than dogs that live indoors with people. So it really depends how you view your dog and what you want out of your time with it. Is it just a dog or is it a campanion you want living the maximum lifespan? If its the latter leaving it outside by itself with reduced movement will kill them a lot sooner. Im not saying its not normal for a dog to live outside but youre also missing the fact that then its not unusual for an outdoor dog to die significantly sooner than one that is "so domesticated" and coddled from things like the outdoors.

I hear you, and agree, life on a chain is shitty.

Tub have roof. Roof & walls be insulated with home insulation. Relax, drama queen.

Throw up a photo

Plastic is still a terrible insulator.
Your animals are still restricted to the 'shelters' for the entirety of the weather being that cold. Leaving their 'shelter' may result in injury + vet bills for you.
Assuming you take them to a vet & you don't try to DIY that as well.

Domestic cats long haired or not are not designed to deal with weather that cold and neither is your dog, bernese cross or not.

I couldn't leave my dogs out in the cold. Why not find someone that can properly care for them?

Not going to elaborate but it's not an option. If it were an option I wouldn't be asking for advice. It not being an option, I hope people who have kept outside dogs have some advice.

How about you fucking elaborate.

There may be a solution from a Sherbro that you aren't aware of.

No matter how you slice it, making pets stay out in 0 degrees is dicey. The dog will probably be ok, your cats probably gonna die after you dog bangs it to stay warm though.

I had builders at my house today working on my barn. One guy brought his dog, a 13 year old german shepard. She stayed in the car but i told him she could come out. She wandered around in the yard (bad hips, cant run) for awhile before finally nestling down for a nap, on bare ice. The ice didnt bother her a bit. She laid there for a good half hour at least until they moved to a different portion and she followed them over.

Don't leave your cat outside in the winter!!!. I don't know where you live ? but if the winters are very cold where you are then pleaseeeeeeee don't do that.

Back