Outdated stuff at your place of work

This isn't really an outdated thing as much as weirdness from buyouts and stuff, but I have to put my time into two different time management systems. I request time off in one and then put my day to day stuff in another.

Every night we connect to the ticketmaster servers with a program written in 1998 to update our theater and tickets to keep both sides balanced.

In the UK, Windows XP is still the operating system for every hospital and gp practice I've worked in, in the NHS.

Massive data breach waiting to happen.
IIRC Microsoft will still patch and provide security updates for XP in certain circumstances, military, government, healthcare, etc...

Working as a carpenter I see a ton of outdated shit in homes. The last bathroom I remodeled had old Victorian looking tin ceiling that was covered up by a drop ceiling. It actually looked really cool, but it was way too corroded and beat up to keep. They were panels something like this...

images

A lot of the old construction was made with better materials. For example nails used to look like this...

il_340x270.1246594254_xa4u.jpg

I'll run across them them to time when working on old buildings.

Working as a carpenter I see a ton of outdated shit in homes. The last bathroom I remodeled had old Victorian looking tin ceiling that was covered up by a drop ceiling. It actually looked really cool, but it was way too corroded and beat up to keep. They were panels something like this...

images

A lot of the old construction was made with better materials. For example nails used to look like this...

They make nails like that and tin and copper ceilings are still used.

The alarm clocks we just installed in all our hotel rooms are meant to dock with I think the second generation of ipods

Very discouraging, but I guess there is something quaint about that "if it ain't broke don't fix it mentality" the military has about so many things.

I think it's more. We don't know if a war will break out and can't afford to have any system down at all. Which is stupid.

I drive a 70s White Road Boss truck with a 8v71 Detroit. I love that thing

Nuclear missile silos still use these.
If there's one thing I've learned recently in my career, it's that the government moves slowly to catch up with the times.

Or it knee-jerks its way into a clusterfuck.

I drive a 70s White Road Boss truck with a 8v71 Detroit. I love that thing

I like those screamin jimmies. Almost impossible to kill one. They start and run well in the cold.

images

looks like masonry/concrete nails. My dad always had a bunch laying around when i was growing up

I like those screamin jimmies. Almost impossible to kill one. They start and run well in the cold.
Everybody else hates driving it at work, it doesn't have power steering so you have to muscle it. I shift at 4200rpm and the mufflers rusted off years ago so there's only about 4 feet of exhaust, they can hear me from 3 miles away. The transmission isn't synchronized so it's got that old truck chick-chick sound when you shift. It's rusted, paint is faded, smokes like crazy, front end is loose, etc. But it's just awesome to drive.

My work has a few Western Electric 500 phones lying around.
Surprisingly, you can still make phone calls on the darn things.

Everybody else hates driving it at work, it doesn't have power steering so you have to muscle it. I shift at 4200rpm and the mufflers rusted off years ago so there's only about 4 feet of exhaust, they can hear me from 3 miles away. The transmission isn't synchronized so it's got that old truck chick-chick sound when you shift. It's rusted, paint is faded, smokes like crazy, front end is loose, etc. But it's just awesome to drive.

Most drivers don't understand that they need to keep the rpms up. You have to drive it like you're mad at it.

This just reminded me just a few days ago I was talking to a client (an old man) we work on advertising so he said something like "hey I want you to see this flyer I made a couple years ago...do you have a fax machine so I can send it to you".... I havent had a fax machine in years, I didnt want to sound unprepared either so i said "no but take a picture with your phone and text it to me"..... he thought for a second and laughed and then said "Im an old man thank you for illuminating me!" ...lol

Back