Out of all of the all time greats who is the most well rounded?

Out of all of the all time greats who is the most well rounded?

• Total voters
Roy Nelson..

ka4spf.jpg
I like you

Likewise its easier to have an effective standup game in MMA without using a jab as heavily due to the smaller gloves and wider range of offence(striking and the threat of grappling). Although saying that Fedor did have a jab when needed, look at the 3rd Nog fight.

This is just reaching to try make Fedor look better. Every fighter in the world would benefit from a good jab. Pretty much every good fighter in MMA has a good jab these days. The myth that a jab is not effective in MMA is pretty much dead

Also when did Fedor show a good jab in the 3d Nog fight? He started pretty much every combo with a lunging right hand. The only time he led with his left it was with a lead hook

This is just reaching to try make Fedor look better. Every fighter in the world would benefit from a good jab. Pretty much every good fighter in MMA has a good jab these days. The myth that a jab is not effective in MMA is pretty much dead

Also when did Fedor show a good jab in the 3d Nog fight? He started pretty much every combo with a lunging right hand. The only time he led with his left it was with a lead hook

Fedor throws a jab from the outside many times vs Nog in the 3rd fight, watch it again rather than the highlight reel.

Except, they have been able to get back to their feet in multiple fights. They have also flipped their opponents and submitted them. They have done all those things. Jones, GSP, and Aldo have not.

If Fedor or Anderson could, they would bounce back up right away if the sub was not right there. You really think Anderson was not trying to get back up for 4 and a half rounds VS Cheal? Or Fedor VS Big Foot? Just because they sometimes get back to their feet when taken down does not mean they are good at it.

Jones, GSP, and Aldo stuff almost every TD. If their TDD sucked, maybe they would have more subs off their back. Aldo certainly has the pedigree for it. If Anderson had Aldo like TDD, you probably wouldn't see any subs off his back

I have seen the fight plenty of times. If he did throw a jab, it was not a very good one. He almost always led with his right hand

Maybe you don't know what a jab is? Fedor will often throw a lead left hook that some may think is a jab for some reason. The few times i have ever seen Fedor throw a jab (later in his career) they were not very effective. It is not a punch he is very comfortable with

As I said watch the fight again not going on highlights and vague memories because Fedor throws plenty of jabs and has plenty of success with them(clearly outlands Nog in this respect) against someone in Nog who was a strong boxer by MMA standards and had much less problem with someone like Sergei who was considered good enough to potentially try for the Olympics.

Latter in his career he definitely became much more of a head hunter I'd agree.

One big issue is that because Fedor's skill set is so diverse you sometimes don't have a ton of examples of him using every aspect of it when he was winning a fight by doing something else. Jabs worked when he was trying to keep Nog at arms length but rarely was he doing that to other opponents.

Last edited:

This looks like a jab here.

c4f10b733ada7a5f0db601b5a7248660.gif

And another jab to step inside to the clinch

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid_003.gif

And here is a 1-2, roll, and steps forward into a takedown.

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid_013.gif

But of course the jab is not going to be the best weapon for a 5'11 Heavyweight. His reach is much shorter than most of his opponents. Staying on the outside throwing jabs is just not very practical when fighting taller dudes with KO power. He needed to close the distance. He might throw one jab or a straight right or a casting punch to step inside to enter the clinch.

a_RXJWSB.gif

i2qzko.gif

Even used a lot of hand traps like here where he pats Brett's hand down before he throws so Brett can't block or counter with that hand.

But you are right that a lot of times he also led with the left hook too. He had a lot of variety on the feet.

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid.gif

Last edited:
Gsp: little to no hole
Silva: no wrestling and bad tdd
Jones: boxing.
Fedor: throw looping punches,no footwork and head movement,little to no variety on feet,no clinch game and average takedown

bad troll is bad
<36>

Anyway ... of course it is MM.

If Fedor or Anderson could, they would bounce back up right away if the sub was not right there. You really think Anderson was not trying to get back up for 4 and a half rounds VS Cheal? Or Fedor VS Big Foot? Just because they sometimes get back to their feet when taken down does not mean they are good at it.

Jones, GSP, and Aldo stuff almost every TD. If their TDD sucked, maybe they would have more subs off their back. Aldo certainly has the pedigree for it. If Anderson had Aldo like TDD, you probably wouldn't see any subs off his back
I don't understand your point. The arguement isn't, "who is better at more skill sets", it was who is the most well-rounded. Meaning who has shown to be good at all aspects. I acknowledged that GSP, Jones, and Aldo have elite TDD, that doesn't mean Fedor's and Silva's are none existent. Neither does their bad performances mean they aren't well-rounded.

Does Silva having ridiculously elite striking mean none of the others are good strikers? Does Fedor having the nastiest GnP in the history of the sport mean none of the others have good GnP? No.

Does Aldo and GSP getting submitted mean they have no submission skills? Does them getting knockedout mean they have no striking skills? Does Jones getting beat up by Gus mean he has bad striking? No.

Fedor and Silva have proven to be able to stuff TDs against good wrestlers and have proven to be able to get up off their back against grapplers(again not as well as Jones, Aldo, or GSP, but that's not the question). Which means, they are at least good enough to do so.

Jones, Aldo, and GSP have never shown any offensive abilities off their back. That doesn't mean Fedor and Silva are better, just that they have proven to be, at least, good at all aspects(well-rounded), while the others have failed to prove their competence in one aspect.

It's nothing to get up in arms about. As I said, it doesn't mean they're better. IMO, GSP is the GOAT, Aldo is a top 5-10 all-time fighter, and Jones is the best fighter, combination of physical attributes/advantages and skillset, I've ever seen. They have just not proven to be completely well-rounded fighter.

Jon Jones because he is very dangerous in both his striking and ground fighting.. Followed by Anderson silva

Why does mm have to step up in weight but not jones? Jones dwarfs everyone he fights. The two times he didn't he looked like crap.

Jones also faced and beat 5 ex UFC LHW champions in a row. He also beat Cormier twice who was a top 3 HW. I would like to see Jones step up too, but weight wise he's not some giant LHW. After a training camp he only cuts around 10 pounds during fight week.

This looks like a jab here.

c4f10b733ada7a5f0db601b5a7248660.gif

And another jab to step inside to the clinch

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid_003.gif

And here is a 1-2, roll, and steps forward into a takedown.

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid_013.gif

But of course the jab is not going to be the best weapon for a 5'11 Heavyweight. His reach is much shorter than most of his opponents. Staying on the outside throwing jabs is just not very practical when fighting taller dudes with KO power. He needed to close the distance. He might throw one jab or a straight right or a casting punch to step inside to enter the clinch.

a_RXJWSB.gif

i2qzko.gif

Even used a lot of hand traps like here where he pats Brett's hand down before he throws so Brett can't block or counter with that hand.

But you are right that a lot of times he also led with the left hook too. He had a lot of variety on the feet.

23+Fedor+Emelianenko+vs+Antonio+Rodrigo+Nogueira+III_xvid.gif

The ironic thing is you watch that match and I think the first thing that comes to mind is recent TJ DIlalshaw, the same low hands depending on head/foot movement for defence, the same rapid in and out style, the same diverse striking arsenal and the same chained in takedowns.

Honestly my feeling is that far from evolving MMA striking actually devolved post Pride, We ended up seeing a lot of fighters displaying a really simplified boxing/MT style, really upright and mechanical pumping weak jabs and lowkicks whilst being hyped as "technical".

All that talk about "neo footwork style" was actually MMA rediscovering something Fedor had already shown to be effective, I think a big issue being that someone like Bang was not teaching kickboxing for dummies a lot of MMA guys learn to fill out their skillsets quickly but something much more advanced(and MMA adapted of course).

Last edited:
GSP, followed by Jon Jones and Mighty Mouses.

GSP had the best all round MMA Wrestling, Striking and Jiu Jitsu combo we've ever seen.

Even if Jones was actually mediocre, he is worlds better than the current 205 division. The space between him and his competition would have put him on the GOAT list alone, performances completely ignored.

Really ? He has a close fight with Gus while rooted to gills.

DJ, GSP, Fedor, Jose.. in that order.

Back