Out of all of the all time greats who is the most well rounded?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Lionel Mandrake, Mar 13, 2018.

?

Out of all of the all time greats who is the most well rounded?

1. Anderson Silva

0.8%
  2. GSP

37.6%
  3. Fedor Emelianenko

22.9%
  4. Jon Jones

19.2%
  5. Jose Aldo

3.2%
  6. Mighty Mouse

16.3%
  1. markg171

markg171 Silver Belt

GSP was amazing everywhere, hence why he won. There was no clear path to victory against him as he was basically better than his opponent everywhere.

3sumrock likes this.
  2. Kinger85

Kinger85 Gold Belt

GSP.

Tell me his weakness. I'll wait.

markg171 likes this.
  3. Rationality

Rationality Orange Belt

Was there any area of MMA where Jones was visibly outclassed head-to-head by an opponent? I'm a great GSP fan and I think he is the GOAT but the most unbeatable fighter I've ever seen (clean or not), no matter what the skill set of the opponent was, was Jones. I just hate that he popped.

4. Rationality

Rationality Orange Belt

His weaknesses were mostly better than his opponents' strengths. The only weakness he ever really had was inexperience and poor camps early in his career hence the fluke loss to Serra and the very avoidable tapout to Hughes.

5. Joshuaace

Joshuaace Green Belt

He is the only guy I can think of off hand who out wrestled a FRESH Coleman.

6. Joshuaace

Joshuaace Green Belt

Aliens

7. moreorless87

moreorless87 Steel Belt

Honestly I think its pretty clearly Fedor and the telling thing is that all the others had a certain way you expected them to fight during their primes and he did not, just look at the 1st and 3rd Nog fights.

Typrune Goatley likes this.
  8. JayE

JayE Black Belt

Fedor didn't outwrestle Coleman in either fight. He soundly beat him, but he definitely didn't outwrestle him.

9. JayE

JayE Black Belt

Gustafsson outboxed him in their fight. Jones made up for it with his kicks and elbows (in what was a drawish fight in my mind), but he was outboxed for stretches of that fight.

10. mrbaapt

mrbaapt Purple Belt

Please stop voting for GSP. Well rounded fighters aren't well rounded if they get ko'd by midgets.

The clear winner here is Bones, he subbed black belts when he wasn't even a white belt in BJJ, took down DC with ease, and made the best striker in the UFC (Shogun) look helpless.

Gregoire1 likes this.
  11. 613

613 Silver Belt

He also has no jab and a right hand so sloppy it would get him countered like crazy at more skilled weights. Also his fight IQ is a big reason for his downfall. Jumping into Werdums guard after almost getting caught in a sub was one of the dumbest things i have seen a top fighter do

Every GOAT has weaknesses. You are just glossing over Fedors because you are bias. You saying GSP has no submissions and Fedor has KO power. Even though GSP has about the same submission % as Fedor has KO %

Mike and markg171 like this.
  12. 613

613 Silver Belt

So.... did he take down anyone with good TDD?

13. 613

613 Silver Belt

The skill level is also much lower

14. 613

613 Silver Belt

To have great boxing you need a good jab and be able to be balanced when you punch. Fedor has no jab and throws his weight around every time he punches. Fedor may be the GOAT MMA fighter, but if you think he had great boxing you know nothing about boxing

15. moreorless87

moreorless87 Steel Belt

You could argue of course he wasn't trying to outwrestle him in either fight and in the second he did shutdown his wrestling very effectively rather killing the myth that any big grappler could get him down.

Typrune Goatley and JayE like this.
  16. 613

613 Silver Belt

So are you going to write off GSP, Aldo and Jones just because they are way better then Fedor and Anderson at taking the fight were they want it? Maybe they would be subbing guys like crazy off their back if they had shitty TDD. WHo knows.

17. 613

613 Silver Belt

He didn't have great head movement (but he made up for it with great footwork) but he is probably the right choice

18. Sinthesized

Sinthesized Brown Belt

Why is DC not on this list?

Sapp likes this.
  19. JayE

JayE Black Belt

I'd agree to a point (although, he didn't want to get taken down in either fight, really, even if he was ultimately fully comfortable being on his back). The idea that Fedor actually outwrestled him in either fight is completely bizarre, though.

20. moreorless87

moreorless87 Steel Belt

I think you see a change of mentality in the two fights, first time around he's much more aggressive probably taking the view that Coleman takedowns don't matter much given the gap in sub grappling ability(as proves to be the case). Second time around he's both fighting in the US where control means more to judges(only 15 min fight as well) and probably wanting to send a message to any doubts from the first fight.

I would point out a lot of Jones fans are claiming that he "took Cormier down at will" which really did not happen at all, the vast majority of that fight he did exactly the same thing Fedor did to Coleman 2nd time around, he shut down his wrestling offence. Jones against Gus as well was second best standing for about 19 mins of the fight, that's along time to be outstruck.

One very telling factor to me is that between the Arona fight when he was still very green(less than a year in MMA) and losing to Werdum he didn't lose a single round to anyone, if you spilt it down into 5 min segments that's I believe 46 rounds in a row for someone who fought very aggressively indeed with both the risks and fewer fights riding out decisions against worn down opponents ala GSP.