Out of all of the all time greats who is the most well rounded?

Out of all of the all time greats who is the most well rounded?

• Total voters
I voted Fedor Emilanenko, between the years 2002-2007 i have never seen a more skilled fighter anywhere in MMA history
That’s because you’re still living in the past.

He fights at his opponent's strength whereas GSP would do the absolute opposite.

At what point does application come into people's equation?

This like having all the tools, but never using the right one.
I don't think many qualified people would think this is the most strategic, physically safe or the most effective use of his weapons.

Pre-Injury Cain should be an honorable mention at least, if we're talking well rounded and not just GOAT isms..... Solid kickboxing, Crazy cardio, obviously good wrestling, and frequent finisher... Not even a cain nut-hugger, but we're talking well rounded he was a great example at one time.

Georges was voted the winner in a UFC goat poll on Facebook addicted to UFC group as well. GSP wins most of these polls I see. Weird the UFC brass doesn't give him the same GOAT recognition the majority of MMA fans do.

Jones can barely punch his way out of a wet paper bag. Disqualified.

Anderson has barely any takedown defence. Disqualified.

Jose Also has barely shown any submission game. Edit: and has highly questionable cardio. Disqualified.

GSP doesn't have KO power or strong submission skills, though he has some. He is #2.

Fedor is clear #1. KO power, ground and pound, takedowns, takedown defence, armlocks, chokes, cardio, intelligence. He had it all in his prime.

Last edited:
Fedor. GSP is second but failed on completing submissions several times.

Gsp: little to no hole
Silva: no wrestling and bad tdd
Jones: boxing.
Fedor: throw looping punches,no footwork and head movement,little to no variety on feet,no clinch game and average takedown

Does anyone else feel like their definition of "well-rounded" is different than everyone elses?

No shit...

If the person being asked is knowledgable, and honest. My definition has only two possible answers. And, one of them isn’t even a choice in the poll ( MM ).

Fedor subs from bottom, from top, Ko power, great boxing, solid kicks when he used them, great judo and sambo

Jones can barely punch his way out of a wet paper bag. Disqualified.

Anderson has barely any takedown defence. Disqualified.

Jose Also has barely shown any submission game. Disqualified.

GSP doesn't have KO power or strong submission skills, though he has some. He is #2.

Fedor is clear #1. KO power, ground and pound, takedowns, takedown defence, armlocks, chokes, cardio, intelligence. He had it all in his prime.

Fedor's wrestling was very average against any capable wrestlers. I get that people love him and look at him with such reverence, but for all the other skills he brought, he wrestling was pretty average other than against guys with even worse wrestling.

Just saying it on your list doesn't make it true.

That said, everyone has their biases, and you have a right to yours the same as I do (or anyone else). So if you want to believe Fedor was a great wrestler, go for it.

I believe it's between Fedor and GSP. Both of them beat fighters at their own games; they outstruck high-level strikers and outgrappled high-level grapplers. To me, that's the very definition of being well rounded.

I voted for Fedor simply because the stakes at HW are so much higher, given the size and power factors. However, I think GSP is perfectly reasonable choice as well.

Beats Big Nog on the ground.

Beats Cro Cop on the feet.

Enough said

Fedor's wrestling was very average against any capable wrestlers. I get that people love him and look at him with such reverence, but for all the other skills he brought, he wrestling was pretty average other than against guys with even worse wrestling.

Just saying it on your list doesn't make it true.

That said, everyone has their biases, and you have a right to yours the same as I do (or anyone else). So if you want to believe Fedor was a great wrestler, go for it.

Did not mention wrestling at all in my post.

I said Fedor had great takedowns and takedown defence. Firstly, not to lean on other sports but his judo credentials are ELITE and his Sambo credentials are GOAT tier.

Generally I think his ability in taking his opponents down is undeniable....just watch any of his fights from 2000-2005, that was his main strategy. The way he threw around Schilt, Herring, Nogueira was very impressive.
The only possible question mark being his takedown defence. He has displayed great takedown defence in certain fights (for example the second fight with Coleman, Fujita and if I recall correctly, the 3rd fight with Nogueira), however I will admit he did get taken down a few times by elite guys (before submitting them).

It's either Mighty Mouse or GSP. Any other answer is moronic.

Did not mention wrestling at all in my post.

I said Fedor had great takedowns and takedown defence. Firstly, not to lean on other sports but his judo credentials are ELITE and his Sambo credentials are GOAT tier.

Generally I think his ability in taking his opponents down is undeniable....just watch any of his fights from 2000-2005, that was his main strategy. The way he threw around Schilt, Herring, Nogueira was very impressive.
The only possible question mark being his takedown defence. He has displayed great takedown defence in certain fights (for example the second fight with Coleman, Fujita and if I recall correctly, the 3rd fight with Nogueira), however I will admit he did get taken down a few times by elite guys (before submitting them).

Nog never cared about being taken down. Herring and Semmy had crap tdd. You're right, you didn't say wrestling. That is on me.

Fedor was amazing, but his TD's were just meh. His TDD was meh too.

Back