Crime Our national tradition continues: Multiple fatalities in TX HS Shooting

And you don't experience that same overcoming of adversity in athletics?

I just don't see any value in the argument that the type of socialization done in school is more important than the kind you experience in extra curriculars other than maybe the quantity which no one arguing with me has even brought up yet.

People here seem to think kids get up, go to school, and come home. I was at an extra curricular literally every day after school from about third grade to at least tenth.

Doing school online at home, you'd be done by like 1pm, you could fit in 2-3 hours of extra curriculars every day and you wouldn't be wasting time while a teacher tried to get the unruly kids in your class settled down so he could actually teach you something.

You may be correct - but there's generally a ref/umpire to settle disputes in sports unless you're playing pickup at the courts. My point was more to the fact that so many of our youth want safe spaces and can't handle someone thinking different than themselves.

But even assuming that you're right doesn't that start putting us back in a situation of a segregated society for a lot of people? When does Johnny Middleclass find out he was raised in a bubble and Jerome Urban isn't just some scary guy to be avoided?

We also have the problem of most Americans needing 2 incomes just to pay the bills.

No there isn't. There's no benefit to be gained exclusively from handling a bully. There is something to be gained from handling adversity and not being coddled. Kids can learn to stand up for themselves without first being exposed to emotionally scarring social interactions.

Perhaps, but I learned more about the way the day to day world works at school than anywhere else in my life.

And honestly the first time you stand up to your bully and punch him in the nose is; IMHO, a very rewarding feeling that you carry the rest of your life.

And British kids go to school expecting to get raped by Muslims it’s such a common occurrence.

The Brit’s are the worst people. They celebrate each shooting as if their country isn’t a shithole at the moment.

At least I can walk outside and not see Muslims trying to rape me everyday

As a side question - if your kid is wearing a trench coat in Texas with weird ass buttons on it for Communism, Nazis, Baphomet, and Cthulhu along with his Born To Kill shirt aren't you just a little worried about his mental stability?

The Brit’s are the worst people. They celebrate each shooting as if their country isn’t a shithole at the moment.

At least I can walk outside and not see Muslims trying to rape me everyday

England is an absolute shithole and London is currently more dangerous than any US city.

You may be correct - but there's generally a ref/umpire to settle disputes in sports unless you're playing pickup at the courts. My point was more to the fact that so many of our youth want safe spaces and can't handle someone thinking different than themselves.

But even assuming that you're right doesn't that start putting us back in a situation of a segregated society for a lot of people? When does Johnny Middleclass find out he was raised in a bubble and Jerome Urban isn't just some scary guy to be avoided?

We also have the problem of most Americans needing 2 incomes just to pay the bills.

Well maybe it's different in America but in Canada, soccer coaches etc are volunteers from the community. It doesn't cost anything to play soccer, that's why it's so popular all over the world. You need 1 ball and a field for 20-30 kids.

I don't think we're really doing 'Jerome Urban' forcing him to go to a school where if he pays attention and actually wants to learn, he'll be singled out and beaten for 'acting white' and having gangs trying to recruit him.

He'd be better off doing his school work online away from the thugs.

I hate how numb I am to these things. I feel like every one is an attack on our collective empathy.

This is one of those issues where I can certainly see conservatives’ point of view. It’s in the constitution for one, that you may own guns (paraphrasing). To them, this is just the price we pay for having that kind of freedom. And we’ve had guns in this country for a long time but haven’t had these issues until recently. So it seems as if guns alone are not to blame.

However, the problem exists. And access to guns is definitely part of that problem. When you control for income, GDP, and other factors, the rate of gun ownership in a country correlates directly with the number of gun deaths in that country. So it isn’t as if guns and access to guns isn’t part of the problem.

There may have been no law that could have stopped this shooting from happening. But some amount of gun regulation would likely have stopped the one in Florida as well as many others. And here’s the thing. Nobody is saying we should ban guns across the board. Nobody is saying that. But if the conservatives don’t come to the table soon and capitulate a bit on this issue, more of these very public school shootings will happen. And guess what will happen after that? People will start talking about banning all guns like they did in Australia. And the people calling for that type of legislation will increase in number as the generation of kids who grew up being shot at in schools comes of voting age. And then conservatives are going to have a real problem.

So conservatives need to get realistic about common sense regulation that would at least help decrease the number of people who had access to guns. If they don’t they will reap what they sow.
If only, in the case of Florida there were some serious response to all the (30-50 or some crap) incidents where authorities were called against the shooter, that instance was a complete breakdown of authority roles not doing their jobs starting back a couple years.

Somewhat similar to the sutherland speings shooter being someone who SHOULD have been a prohibited person but wasn’t

I hate how numb I am to these things. I feel like every one is an attack on our collective empathy.
It’s because of the immediate politics angles that come from it which feels so fake and empty it isn’t the actual event itself.

whats so fascinating about this whole situation is that because the majority of the school shooters are white the country doesnt know how to handle this. there was a thread about white prvilege and this is just another example of it. can you imagine if the majority of the mass shooters were black? hispanic? muslim? ideas of re segregating schools or disarming only people of color would be floating in the air. the racism would be off the charts. when the perpetraitor is white the response is "how can this happen?"

Guns are very different, it's a partisan issue. That's not the case in other countries (and back when it wasn't the case in the US, more laws were passed).

No, guns are not a partisan issue. That's why this issue is mainly whipped up via media bombardment and fought at the fringes. I live in a guaranteed blue state. Most dudes I've met here (when it's come up) claim to own at least one gun. None would be for outlawing guns. There's certainly a divide on the value of particular tweaks, but that hardly makes the entire concept of gun ownership a partisan/identity issue. Hunting, self-defense, and sport are widely supported.

I don't know about sinister, I just think they aren't weighing up the costs and benefits objectively because of their own self interest and disbelief in the effectiveness of a regulatory solution.

There's the problem right there with entertaining the opinions of foreigners who think our rights should be curtailed. You talk as if your outsider perspective and cultural values are objective but you've got no skin in the game here, so that makes you more ignorant than anything else in my book. Maybe this is where your "identity politics" come into play? Americans identify with success through violence. Part of the reason we've been running shit. Call it an attitude or spirit. When shit goes down is anyone turning to Australia? So, fuck yeah we keep our guns out of self-interest. That's what smart, independent people do. If guns are good enough for the collective then they're good enough for the individual.

As for regulatory effectiveness, what are the thousands of laws already on the books not doing that one more will solve? We're already restricting by action type, age of gun, barrel length, rifling or no, stock or no, pistol grip or no, similarity to full-auto models, weight, feeding mechanism, and caliber. There's also a laundry list of things that disqualify us as individuals from exercising our right to self-defense. And not all of them are felonies. So like I asked earlier in the thread, is 10 dead and wounded the standard of acceptability or do we need to take away pump shotguns and revolvers too. If people were honest and said the only way to make a real dent via firearms prohibitions is to go to the extreme lengths of banning it all but black powder then this issue would be dead in the water. Instead we've got morons who don't know the first thing about firearms offering "solutions". But really they're peddling mere inconvenience and the erosion of civil liberties.

Ps. I'm not sure how much Australian gun laws are intentionally misrepresented vs. how much is a result of us just not giving enough of a shit to learn them. Kind of like with foreign languages. You learn ours, we don't learn yours (except for some school credits or to impress a date).

IMj1JE0.gif

Well maybe it's different in America but in Canada, soccer coaches etc are volunteers from the community. It doesn't cost anything to play soccer, that's why it's so popular all over the world. You need 1 ball and a field for 20-30 kids.

I don't think we're really doing 'Jerome Urban' forcing him to go to a school where if he pays attention and actually wants to learn, he'll be singled out and beaten for 'acting white' and having gangs trying to recruit him.

He'd be better off doing his school work online away from the thugs.

Yes little league coaches are all volunteers in the states - not sure how that relates to my post one way or the other, there's still a ref/umpire on the field to resolve disputes.

So you'd rather leave Jerome at home to study where mom is working 2 jobs and who knows where dad is at so he has no supervision? I'd say he's still only going to learn if he wants to learn.

I know you're going to find it hard to believe, but other than a few straggler bikers here and there, the closest gang to where I live is an hour away.

No, guns are not a partisan issue. That's why this issue is mainly whipped up via media bombardment and fought at the fringes. I live in a guaranteed blue state. Most dudes I've met here (when it's come up) claim to own at least one gun. None would be for outlawing guns. There's certainly a divide on the value of particular tweaks, but that hardly makes the entire concept of gun ownership a partisan/identity issue. Hunting, self-defense, and sport are widely supported.

Bullshit.

RUSSELL-guns1.png

There's the problem right there with entertaining the opinions of foreigners who think our rights should be curtailed. You talk as if your outsider perspective and cultural values are objective but you've got no skin in the game here, so that makes you more ignorant than anything else in my book. Maybe this is where your "identity politics" come into play? Americans identify with success through violence. Part of the reason we've been running shit. Call it an attitude or spirit. When shit goes down is anyone turning to Australia? So, fuck yeah we keep our guns out of self-interest. That's what smart, independent people do. If guns are good enough for the collective then they're good enough for the individual.

As for regulatory effectiveness, what are the thousands of laws already on the books not doing that one more will solve? We're already restricting by action type, age of gun, barrel length, rifling or no, stock or no, pistol grip or no, similarity to full-auto models, weight, feeding mechanism, and caliber. There's also a laundry list of things that disqualify us as individuals from exercising our right to self-defense. And not all of them are felonies. So like I asked earlier in the thread, is 10 dead and wounded the standard of acceptability or do we need to take away pump shotguns and revolvers too. If people were honest and said the only way to make a real dent via firearms prohibitions is to go to the extreme lengths of banning it all but black powder then this issue would be dead in the water. Instead we've got morons who don't know the first thing about firearms offering "solutions". But really they're peddling mere inconvenience and the erosion of civil liberties.

Ps. I'm not sure how much Australian gun laws are intentionally misrepresented vs. how much is a result of us just not giving enough of a shit to learn them. Kind of like with foreign languages. You learn ours, we don't learn yours (except for some school credits or to impress a date).

IMj1JE0.gif

Yes actually, you always turn to Australia to rubber stamp your foreign adventures. Every. Single. Time.
Like I said. Blinded by self interest.

Yes little league coaches are all volunteers in the states - not sure how that relates to my post one way or the other, there's still a ref/umpire on the field to resolve disputes.

So you'd rather leave Jerome at home to study where mom is working 2 jobs and who knows where dad is at so he has no supervision? I'd say he's still only going to learn if he wants to learn.

I know you're going to find it hard to believe, but other than a few straggler bikers here and there, the closest gang to where I live is an hour away.

I dunno, I did some online courses in high school and university and I didn't see anyone having issues getting their work done. Basically you have a reading each day, there's a message board for discussion and then a quiz every few days and a final exam that's supervised somewhere. Pretty simple.

I mean, the current system has the same issue except for the fact that the kids who don't want to learn also ruin it for everyone else, not just themselves.

I think disruptive kids are a huge part of the problem and a lot of kids would do better working from home.

I also don't have the same view of kids as a lot for the people who seem to hate this idea do. I think most of them would do their work. I think most kids would just get their work done so they could do other stuff.

Sure some kids would fall through the cracks but that happens now anyway. The big thing my solution helps is you no longer need to ferry the kids back and forth to school (saves gas) you don't need as much admin staff, you don't need a physical location for the school itself... Teachers would still have jobsx they would be doing their lectures on a webcam.

Bullshit.

Keep thinking you know shit because some polls told it to you. For one of the smartest people here you sure are dumb to dismiss what I said with that chart. One of us lives and experiences the topic at hand and the other reads about it on the news from afar. If anyone is blinded it's you with your hubris.

Yes actually, you always turn to Australia to rubber stamp your foreign adventures. Every. Single. Time.
Like I said. Blinded by self interest.

Thanks for being our lap dog. I guess your leadership is pursuing your nation's own self-interest or you just ethically support all of that shit you rubber stamp? Everyone is motivated by self-interest so careful up on that high-horse. Difference between our countries is we have far greater options to pursue it. You're welcome for the protection, by the way. :cool:

Back